Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

If anyone is still interested in getting/has pre-ordered the strategy guide. The latest release date was today but Amazon still show this as awaiting stock. I contacted them and they check with their suppliers and there is still no release date for the guide.

I got an email last week from Amazon saying they'd pushed the date for the guide back to 23 April.

If anyone is still interested in getting/has pre-ordered the strategy guide. The latest release date was today but Amazon still show this as awaiting stock. I contacted them and they check with their suppliers and there is still no release date for the guide.

I have resisted ordering the guide this time around, but I am actually very, very interested in its contents. For one thing they've added 100(!) pages - surely that can't just be to cover the day one patch? Secondly there was a quote doing the rounds from Future Press that strongly suggested there was some hidden mechanic or other secret(s) that had not been discovered yet and would make the guide very worthwhile, even in the future. Wish I could find the quote - it was doing the rounds on GAF earlier in the week.

Now obviously they are going to say stuff like that to shift the guide, especially as it has been delayed to the point where many people won't need it, but I do hold out hope that something interesting is going to be revealed. Also it chimes with some hints that ENB has been throwing out on his playthrough videos (and ENB was involved with the guide).

Oh yeah, talking of "saving" - would it not make sense in terms of boss attempts to simply save the game and quit, re-start it, try the boss, fail, turn the game off without saving, then re-start it? I mean, as opposed to travelling all the way to wherever the boss lives, and using up blood vials etc?

It's just that I can see it being quite a pita travelling through OY each time to meet Shooty Shooterson.

So every now and again I'm loading it up for half an hour.. I just go different routes and run by people trying not to get hit. I've found some areas but nowhere that saves yet.. keep losing my echo things all the time and can never bank them - I have to go back to the little skeleton things in the floor to go back to the Hunter's Dream, right?

Still dying, still annoying me, still trying.

From the very beginning just keep hugging the wall left and rolling into everything. By doing that it will take around two minutes to unlock the first shortcut.

Yes, the skeletons/messengers praying to the lamp post is your return to the hub where you level up and buy stuff.

Oh yeah, talking of "saving" - would it not make sense in terms of boss attempts to simply save the game and quit, re-start it, try the boss, fail, turn the game off without saving, then re-start it? I mean, as opposed to travelling all the way to wherever the boss lives, and using up blood vials etc?

It's just that I can see it being quite a pita travelling through OY each time to meet Shooty Shooterson.

You can get to him from the lamp in less than 45 seconds, just run the whole way.

The game saves constantly and certainly on death. I'm not actually sure what happens if you quit during a boss - anyone?

Davros, I'd appreciate you telling me how just so I can say I've achieved SOMETHING. The gate just taunts me I swear. I've run a lot of directions but knowing exactly which one would be great.

I understand the lantern system, I just haven't found any aside from that Central Yharnam one. :lol: Where's the next one I can find?

The big spinny cleaver cunt near the start I've attempted a few times but never succeeded, I can't get out of the way quick enough. I do find it hard to pull off the jumping attack every time, probably every three?

I found a shortcut where that first guy attacks you with some swipes - though it's just falling off the wall (took me three hours to notice that).

'Falling is effective'. Give Shooty my regards. Please post videos when you fuck him up so we can all celebrate.

Davros, I'd appreciate you telling me how just so I can say I've achieved SOMETHING. The gate just taunts me I swear. I've run a lot of directions but knowing exactly which one would be great.

From the very beginning just keep hugging the wall left and roll into everything that's breakable. By doing that it will take around two minutes to unlock the first shortcut.

I found a shortcut where that first guy attacks you with some swipes - though it's just falling off the wall (took me three hours to notice that).

Yeah, that's not it.

If you want precise instructions:

Run past everyone in the main drag of Central Yarnham, or kill them. At the bonfire, run up the stairs on the left and into the next area with the fountain and the giant ogre banging on the door. Stay left. Just before you get to the house with the annoying laughing woman who taunts you for being out on the night of the hunt, there's a load of breakable stuff. Smashing that reveals a gap you can drop down. From there you go up some stairs, down some stairs, through a house, and you're there.

Or just watch this:

After that I've not left a single box or urn un-smashed.

Edit: Sorry, I should clarify - that doesn't actually open a new Lantern, but it's the next step towards doing so.

The next one is impossible to miss.

As for Trevor Cleaver, forget dodging him. Wait for him to attack, and just as he does, shoot him. If you get it right he'll drop to his knees. Then quickly hit R1 (stick neutral) to skewer him for an insta-kill. It is hard though.

Timmo, running to the boss would normally not be a problem, but aren't there a load of grunts around where he is? I was just thinking that starting from a totally clear area would be better.

I understand the lantern system, I just haven't found any aside from that Central Yharnam one. :lol: Where's the next one I can find?

The big spinny cleaver cunt near the start I've attempted a few times but never succeeded, I can't get out of the way quick enough. I do find it hard to pull off the jumping attack every time, probably every three?

You need to be patient and clear the level methodically and explore as you go until you find a shortcut back to the lamp you started at. You are not looking for lamps so much as shortcuts.

Now it pains me to do this because the absolute joy of these games is discovering the first significant shortcut and having a eureka moment when you realise how the level links together, but here is a step-by-step to opening the first important shortcut:

1. Start at the Central Yharnam bonfire. The gate to the left is closed - our objective is to open it.

2. Head right following the stairs down, killing everything on the way.

3. At the bottom, stop. You will see groups of enemies patrolling.

4. Head straight past the wagons, slowly and methodically clearing enemies. You may find it easier to pull them using pebbles or other consumables. You may find it easier to head up the stairs and take out the enemies there before tackling those around the big bonfire. Watch out for ambushes.

5. Once the area is clear, head up the stairs to your left as you look at the bonfire.

6. Pass through the tunnel.

7. Bear left - DON'T bother going into the plaza yet.

8. If you keep hugging left, you will see a bunch of breakable boxes and junk. Break them by rolling through them - you will reveal a gap in the fence.

9. Drop down. Kill any dogs that come at you.

10. From where you dropped down, bear left.

11. You will see a wide open area with no enemies in it. Keep going straight to open a door.

12. You will be in a dark house. Kill the enemy immediately in front of you, then open the next door.

13. Go up the stairs immediately opposite, watching for an enemy on the way.

14. Keep going up and you will find the original gate which you will be able to open (you may need to pull a lever, I can't remember).

Or if that doesn't make any sense, find EpicNameBro on youtube and watch his first playthrough video from 15 mins 30 sec to about 30 mins!

Edit: as others have said, you can just run through all the enemies if you want to, but the consumables and echoes they drop are very handy!

Yeah I saw the fall down but that's it.

And did you fall down? That short-cut branches off into three new areas.

You need to be patient and clear the level methodically and explore as you go until you find a shortcut back to the lamp you started at. You are not looking for lamps so much as shortcuts.

Now it pains me to do this because the absolute joy of these games is discovering the first significant shortcut and having a eureka moment when you realise how the level links together, but here is a step-by-step to opening the first important shortcut:

1. Start at the Central Yharnam bonfire. The gate to the left is closed - our objective is to open it.

2. Head right following the stairs down, killing everything on the way.

3. At the bottom, stop. You will see groups of enemies patrolling.

4. Head straight past the wagons, slowly and methodically clearing enemies. You may find it easier to pull them using pebbles or other consumables. You may find it easier to head up the stairs and take out the enemies there before tackling those around the big bonfire. Watch out for ambushes.

5. Once the area is clear, head up the stairs to your left as you look at the bonfire.

6. Pass through the tunnel.

7. Bear left - DON'T bother going into the plaza yet.

8. If you keep hugging left, you will see a bunch of breakable boxes and junk. Break them by rolling through them - you will reveal a gap in the fence.

9. Drop down. Kill any dogs that come at you.

10. From where you dropped down, bear left.

11. You will see a wide open area with no enemies in it. Keep going straight to open a door.

12. You will be in a dark house. Kill the enemy immediately in front of you, then open the next door.

13. Go up the stairs immediately opposite, watching for an enemy on the way.

14. Keep going up and you will find the original gate which you will be able to open (you may need to pull a lever, I can't remember).

Or if that doesn't make any sense, find EpicNameBro on youtube and watch his first playthrough video from 15 mins 30 sec to about 30 mins!

There's also a gap in the fence across from the first dude who swings for you. He could just drop down there and sprint past everyone at the bonfire.

Hence, hug left. You can't lose.

And did you fall down? That short-cut branches off into three new areas.

There's also a gap in the fence across from the first dude who swings for you. He could just drop down there and sprint past everyone at the bonfire.

Hence, hug left. You can't lose.

I get what you are saying, but that is more of a tactical shortcut to get you a positional advantage over the enemies in the area - I don't think it is really going to help ABC if he doesn't know where to go beyond that.

You can get to him from the lamp in less than 45 seconds, just run the whole way.

The game saves constantly and certainly on death. I'm not actually sure what happens if you quit during a boss - anyone?

If you quit during a boss, you're outside it's fog gate on reload. Used items are still used.

I managed to solo VA last night

I thought I would try the flamesprayer and molotovs approach.

I started very badly, by getting tagged very early on and then rolling back instead of forwards during her jump attack later on. Though my biggest mistake was not equipping the molotovs in a quick slot before I started and frantically looking for them :doh: . Anyway even though I did use too many vials I still managed it :)

I get what you are saying, but that is more of a tactical shortcut to get you a positional advantage over the enemies in the area - I don't think it is really going to help ABC if he doesn't know where to go beyond that.

Hug left after the bonfire, whilst rolling into everything breakable. It can't get any clearer than that really.

The first drop adjacent to the first bad guy is just a bonus, which is why I said "also".

Had a wonder around

Hemwich

tonight. If that isn't the back end of the village in RE4, I don't know what is. The girls there seems very classy, to say the least. Progressed fairly far as well, but then found myself wandering into a boss area and as I was carrying 11K in souls, I figured it was time to reawaken with souls in tact.

Managed to open one shortcut (I think). Not sure what's happening, sometimes having too much choice isn't a good thing! I've got VA to fight, the WofH to fight and those two weird, superfast motherfuckers to the right of the VA area. Also found at least one gate that opens from the other side. Not sure who to take on first. Not a great fan of VA already, and I've only faced her once.

Had a wonder around

Hemwich

tonight. If that isn't the back end of the village in RE4, I don't know what is. The girls there seems very classy, to say the least. Progressed fairly far as well, but then found myself wandering into a boss area and as I was carrying 11K in souls, I figured it was time to reawaken with souls in tact.

Managed to open one shortcut (I think). Not sure what's happening, sometimes having too much choice isn't a good thing! I've got VA to fight, the WofH to fight and those two weird, superfast motherfuckers to the right of the VA area. Also found at least one gate that opens from the other side. Not sure who to take on first. Not a great fan of VA already, and I've only faced her once.

Yeah, that area is pure Resident Evil 4. <3

As for the whole "is it a Souls game or not", it does have the Souls DNA of course, but I do feel it also has a style and feel that's all its own. So turning it into a new IP makes sense in that respect and it seems to pay off for both From and Sony.

Man, in between all of my whining about GTFH (not attempted him today yet) I realised that I've been hoarding stacks of Coldblood that I can't bear to part with, so I've just burned through a ton of it and got some extra levels. :D I also have 39 Madman's Knowledge that I haven't used and Insight is already at 66...

The fact that I platinumed it playing it the exact same way I completed my shieldless run of DS2 is much bigger proof in my eyes than your arguments.

Conversely, I'm banging my head against one of the last bosses here, but I couldn't dream of getting that far in DaS because I simply didn't get on with the Souls gameplay. Bloodborne is Souls in appearance, but it has a different agenda; it wants to do something different. Sure, a lot of Souls stuff is still in there, but there's no way I could go back to a Souls game and play it in the same way I've been playing this, with all of the lock-on dashes and the Regain and the transforming weapon combos and the daft health vial grinds. Bloodborne is a Bloodborne game. :)