Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Just gone back to read Gorf's comments about GTFH, which at least makes me feel better about not being the only one frustrated with him. The slow movement and massive recovery animations from certain moves should make him fairly do-able, but he's so unpredictable that it never really goes to plan. :P He also staggers from hits from most weapons, but then he can attack out of the stagger when you least expect it. Oh, and some of his moves hit from a mile away so I'm always afraid of going in, which just makes it kind of tedious.

Tempted to go on the farm for a bit in case that affects anything (can't recall what my current level is at the mo...) Either that or I'll accidentally leave the PS4 suspended overnight :P

Plopboy, on 16 Apr 2015 - 8:07 PM, said:snapback.png

a lot of people think this is the next souls game, except it isn't.

tumblr_inline_n41ehrTCXW1s41drp.gif

In the same way that the Shadow Tower isn't a Kings Field game but shares similarities, but hey you probably didn't bother reading past that line to try and find out what I was saying. A bit like your review of Dark Souls.

What level are you, out if interest?

If you co op with anyone, you'll lead the charge / stay in front, yeah?

88, I think. Maybe 90 - I might have levelled a bit clearing some stuff up, I forget now.

I guess it makes sense for the one who's summoned to lead, as obviously it's more important that the summoner stay alive. But ideally both will. I imagine that might be quite difficult with some of the bosses if the helper dives in as bait and there's no real communication going on.

88, I think. Maybe 90 - I might have levelled a bit clearing some stuff up, I forget now.

I guess it makes sense for the one who's summoned to lead, as obviously it's more important that the summoner stay alive. But ideally both will. I imagine that might be quite difficult with some of the bosses if the helper dives in as bait and there's no real communication going on.

I was just suggesting that the summon might want you visible at all times, given your previous post.

R has broken me, I love the game and have enjoyed it to this point but I can't beat him. Every other boss took a maximum of 6 attempts, but this fucker has taken over 30 attempts. I'm bored of farming echoes and the RNG nature of his crystal aerial meteor fucking attack.

Sadly I'm going to have to step away for a bit. He reminds me of a certain knight in an arena in the DLC of dark souls. Fucker blocked me for two weeks, I know I'll get R but for now I need a break.

Plopboy, on 16 Apr 2015 - 8:07 PM, said:snapback.png

In the same way that the Shadow Tower isn't a Kings Field game but shares similarities, but hey you probably didn't bother reading past that line to try and find out what I was saying. A bit like your review of Dark Souls.

There is an equivalent here to each mechanic a Souls game has ever had. Humanity, bonfires, leveling, the nexus, messages, inventory management (minus weight), stat scaling for weapons, shortcuts, boss fights, retrieving souls, shared currency and experience, invasions, summoning, etc. It is an upgraded version of the same engine really. It's like saying FF13 was not in the Final Fantasy series. I would argue some numbered sequels have had less in common. Those gameplay tweaks are exactly the kind of refinement you would expect from a sequel. This would have been a sequel in name as well if there arrangements for DeS and Das (business side) had not been what they were. I side with Spainkiller on this one.

R has broken me, I love the game and have enjoyed it to this point but I can't beat him. Every other boss took a maximum of 6 attempts, but this fucker has taken over 30 attempts. I'm bored of farming echoes and the RNG nature of his crystal aerial meteor fucking attack.

Sadly I'm going to have to step away for a bit. He reminds me of a certain knight in an arena in the DLC of dark souls. Fucker blocked me for two weeks, I know I'll get R but for now I need a break.

I struggled massively with this too. Truth is the game really opens up after that in many fucking great ways. Try summoning, try focusing on spiders, try rushing the boss with electrical damage, but don't give up!

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just pointing out that Bloodborne shares a lot of the souls game mechanics but as in the past, FromSoftware have taken a game like Kings Field and spun it off into something familiar yet different.

The combat has a different approach and style, no armour upgrading, weight and encumbrance aren't there, completely different setting, etc

If they wanted to do Demons' Souls 2 then they could have (it being co developed with Sony as Bloodborne was) but yet they did something different yet familiar, which is the point I'm trying to make.

R is my least favourite boss especially when

you meet his Chalice Dungeon version

You know what you have to do against him, but the fight is so loooong (or you roll the RNG dice and try to out DPS him and then end up having to farm for vials). It is just no fun and doesn't really play to the strengths of the new combat system imo.

R is my least favourite boss especially when

you meet his Chalice Dungeon version

You know what you have to do against him, but the fight is so loooong (or you roll the RNG dice and try to out DPS him and then end up having to farm for vials). It is just no fun and doesn't really play to the strengths of the new combat system imo.

About the spoiler:

I found his second appearance a bit more manageable if I'm honest. You could avoid the meteors a bit easier by hiding behind the pillars and luring the spiders back to your safe spot one by one before running in and smashing the bastard.

Takes a bit longer that way to be honest but a bit less risky.

To those who've killed Rom, have you seen the speedrun method?

Take a beast pellet, kill enough small spiders to get to 50% beast, then wail on Rom. As he starts to disappear, charge up an attack and then angle it so that it counts as a backstab and cancels the animation. He can then be killed without ever teleporting.

The speedruns are already amazing. All bosses is down to 1:08 in game time! Relies on a couple of early glitches but 95% of the run is legitimate.

The combat has a different approach and style, no armour upgrading, weight and encumbrance aren't there, completely different setting, etc

I understand. No argument. Interesting debate. On this point I disagree as well. The combat is exactly the same for me as this is how I played Dark Souls. I has a small parry shield and dodged attacks a lot.

I don't know the truth of course about this one but I would argue that if they could have called this something with Souls in it, they would have. This was not an artistic choice or to refer to it being different. This was a legal problem because they each have had a game with a very similar tittle under different legal arrangements. This was a lawsuit waiting to happen if they kept releasing very similarly names titles with very similar names under different conditions. From a marketing point of view calling it something souls would have been massively beneficial.

This is where I was until a week ago. I took a week off and bounced back stronger than ever. This is how I beat him. Appreciate you didn't ask for advice so feel free to ignore.

During the first wave I killed all the spiders before even touching Rom. Then I got in at his side and let him have strong attack after strong attack. If you get this right it will stagger and prolong his warp state long enough for you to get his health down to at least half if not a third.

Now his health is low you can take your time just weaving in and out of spiders getting a hit in here and there for the remainder of the fight. Don't be greedy. Take your time and you will do it.

One of the things I like most about this so far, is that none of the standard enemies are simply unbeatably tough. They seem tough, and you sort of skirt around them all scared, but then if you have a crack, you can actually bump them off. The wolves on the bridge are a great example. I must have killed them 20 times now by funneling them down those stairs. Likewise the big dude on the stairs in CW. I just get round his ankles and have at him.

And then you get killed by 2 or 3 standard grunts and their dog...

Yeah I think it is clearly a Souls game, but I think it does point the way to where the franchises might go in the future. I wonder if the Souls games proper will become their "RPG" franchise because DS2 went the opposite tack from BB and really doubled down on the build options, equipment options and other more RPG-ish mechanics; whereas if (when?) there are BB sequels, maybe they will continue with the "Action" emphasis with faster-paced combat, more cool weapons, an emphasis on skill and exploration rather than stat building.

Right now they feel very similar, but you can see them diverging in interesting ways in the future.

I've got one I'm saving for a special occasion, but the bumpf says they

temporarily transform you into a beast

or something.

Oh yeah, I had a question about something weird that happened to me. I was just exploring CW, when

My character flew up into the air, the word FRENZY appeared, and I lost nearly all of my health

What was that all about, so I can avoid it happening again?

That particular event is explained when you progress a bit further in the game Davros or when you get 40+ insight. It's the area of fence near the two Plague Doctor type guys right? As long as you don't get too close to that fence, it shouldn't happen to you.

So every now and again I'm loading it up for half an hour.. I just go different routes and run by people trying not to get hit. I've found some areas but nowhere that saves yet.. keep losing my echo things all the time and can never bank them - I have to go back to the little skeleton things in the floor to go back to the Hunter's Dream, right?

Still dying, still annoying me, still trying.

So every now and again I'm loading it up for half an hour.. I just go different routes and run by people trying not to get hit. I've found some areas but nowhere that saves yet.. keep losing my echo things all the time and can never bank them - I have to go back to the little skeleton things in the floor to go back to the Hunter's Dream, right?

Still dying, still annoying me, still trying.

How far in are you?

On 17/04/2015 at 10:06, Hellcock said:

Did you get picked up by something magical? (was it in the graveyard?)

Yeah, that was it. Freaked me out. Thanks for the explanation Dr Jeff.

AlwaysBeClosing, you just need to get over that initial hump. That starting area that seems so difficult now will seem like child's play after a bit (although you still have to be careful).

There are no "saves". If you quit the game and turn the PS4 off, you'll be standing right where you were when you left off. What you need to find (and oh the joy when you do) are Lanterns which give you new start positions. It's a funny system to get your head round, but once you appreciate that you basically play the game in "runs" which re-set after each return trip to Hunter's Dream, it all clicks. You will be re-visiting old areas regularly whilst exploring new ones. I've cleared out the starting Yarnham area of every monster a couple of times now for the Blood Echoes, even the big guy with the cleaver. Because you keep any goodies you find, a "successful" run can just be getting a new item, even if you die. I regularly lose 4k echoes now and think nothing of it, so don't sweat it. You can't use them to level up until you've reached a certain point anyway. Just set yourself an aim, and try to do it. I also recommend trying out your entire move set on a single, weak enemy. I only just realised the jump attack existed, for example. The parry using the gun is another key one. That big dude with the Cleaver can be killed instantly if you nail him with a gunshot stagger and a visceral attack - but it'll take you maybe 20 or 30 tries to get it right.

If you haven't done it already, your first goal should simply be to open the gate to the left of your starting position in Yarnham. I can tell you exactly how to do that if you haven't already. Once you've done that the game opens up considerably.

Hark at me, talking like a veteran when I was in the exact same boat only a few days ago. But that kind of underlines the point really. You really do level up properly in this game, not just by increasing a stat, but by learning.

Davros is now the master. The circle is complete. :hat: The sky and the cosmos are one!

I am impressed with ABClosing. He fucking hates this game but has decided to fight through the pain. Respect.