Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Just made it to UW. Thanks Dood. I was again obsessing with looking for the key in the wrong area so without the additional nudge this would have been painful. The area is oppressive and fucked up. Also, kinda harder and somewhat unfair in places. I really like it.

Anyone got any tips for E:DotC? Six tries and counting...

I cheekily looked at some Youtube guides, but they *all* seem to be 'get close behind her, keep rolling so she can't keep up and spam R2 and vials'. It just makes the fight look shit, like you're cheating through the boss.

I've got the pattern down on her first form, and can pretty reliably dodge her swings and blood vomit now, but her head charge stampede nearly always gets me on the after-swing. Is it her head that is the weak point? After she goes into her second form I barely last a minute, her swings are a lot more ferocious and that laser spell can just finish me off in no time.

How did you guys do it?

I've decided to have a crack at the chalice dungeons. I got through the first one ok (Pthumerian?) and most of the second until I hit a boss called the

Pthumerian Descendant

Who is obliterating me.

Thought I'd have a go at GTFH next. Oh god. :lol: I like the fact that there's lots of space to mill around in, but that moveset is brutal, especially the "hook". Lock-on dashes can't always escape him, counter windows are tiny and the only real moment where he seems exposed is when he's recovering from his ground hit after the shoryuken rising strike thing. Oh and he moves so fast when he closes in it might as well be a teleport. :P

I've decided to have a crack at the chalice dungeons. I got through the first one ok (Pthumerian?) and most of the second until I hit a boss called the

Pthumerian Descendant

Who is obliterating me.

I've just done that exact thing, The first few times he sliced me to ribbons

Tips if you want them:

After a few goes though I worked out he's got quite a generous parry window if you can time it. Also I found I could use a thrusting R2 attack just as he was finishing his double attack to get him pretty much every time. As long as it's got a good reach.

I've just dropped WoH and VA, I'm particularly pleased with the latter as she pounded me to dust on first meeting, but it probably only took me three or four goes to do it. I think I'm getting better, but I'm sure the next bit will punish me for thinking that.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people think this is the next souls game, except it isn't.

It is a departure from souls, an experiment if you will into a different style of play and thus the weapons, kit, etc all tie into this design.

It is obviously built upon ideas of the souls games and I can understand people being disappointed but there are so many things I didn't do on my first run and stuff to do in NG+ that I am still playing it and still looking for secrets and trying to improve my solo boss skills.

After completing this I went back to DSII on the PS4 and found the combat so slow and clunky compared to this, but it is still fun to play just different.

I think it's very much a Souls game personally. Just a very focussed one. The aggressive play style suits me fine!

Finished this tonight. Final section is gruelling to say the least but what a superb experience.

Now to gorge on lore and take a break before thinking about NG+.

I wonder how they'll handle DLC. I presume we'll get some considering the good sales.

I've just done that exact thing, The first few times he sliced me to ribbons

Tips if you want them:

After a few goes though I worked out he's got quite a generous parry window if you can time it. Also I found I could use a thrusting R2 attack just as he was finishing his double attack to get him pretty much every time. As long as it's got a good reach.

I've just dropped WoH and VA, I'm particularly pleased with the latter as she pounded me to dust on first meeting, but it probably only took me three or four goes to do it. I think I'm getting better, but I'm sure the next bit will punish me for thinking that.

I managed to get him into his second phase fairly regularly. I really struggle to party him when he dual wields. What weapon were you using?

Took out the third floor boss in the first chalice dungeon tonight. Possibly the first time I've got a boss on the first attempt. As you can see, it started out very well....

Bloodborne_Chalice Dungeon Boss:

I had a couple more goes at the last boss tonight and... nope. Sorry, Timmo. I'm sure I could do it in the end - probably - but I'm simply not enjoying the experience any more, so that's that - I quit. I might boot it up again if someone around my level who's similarly frustrated fancies giving co-op a try, but otherwise that's BB done for me.

I know people will say 'but you'll get better and crack him in the end - I did - and then imagine the feeling of satisfaction, like no other game can give!' Well, yeah, maybe that's so. But it'd be more like relief and bitter gloating than joy - than the summit of some kind of pleasure. Just a dark, malevolent, fevered communion with a monstrous kind of gratification. I'd probably (figuratively speaking of course) spit on the twat's grave when he's dead, like you would an evil bastard who's made your life hell, whom you finally overcome and stab in the back, stab stab stab repeatedly to death, even after death, stab stab stab, just keep stabbing, there must be more left to give from his rotting flesh, and then you toast a marshmallow on the fire you burn his corpse on in your back garden.

I think I'd just rather avoid the trauma that leads me to take such satisfaction from revenge in the first place, and the eventual relief itself would never really make up for, never make better, the terrible experiences that led you there - all those tortured hours, days, weeks at his hands. Not that I do feel that now, that burgeoning anger, that rage inside. Honest - I am perfectly normal right now, after I've had a few minutes of taking deep breaths. Of thinking calm thoughts. A few pills for the headache. Maybe a little bit of gin, just to take the edge off, you understand.

But I can sense them forming in the background. The stabby feelings.

Aw man, this game has got me by the gonads. How do I know? Because I had a spare 10 minutes available before I had to go out today, and I squeezed in a quick play.

The way the game environments unravel is just wonderful. What better reward for finally beating a boss than the rich menu of branching paths that the game then treats you to. I tiptoed around the CW last night both terrified at what I'd find, and with a big shit-eating grin borne out of pure "Ooh, I wonder what's down there"ness.

I think I'd just rather avoid the trauma that leads me to take such satisfaction from revenge in the first place, and the eventual relief itself would never really make up for, never make better, the terrible experiences that led you there - all those tortured hours, days, weeks at his hands. Not that I do feel that now, that burgeoning anger, that rage inside. Honest - I am perfectly normal right now, after I've had a few minutes of taking deep breaths. Of thinking calm thoughts. A few pills for the headache. Maybe a little bit of gin, just to take the edge off, you understand.

Epic. Best post. Good work.

Aw man, this game has got me by the gonads. How do I know? Because I had a spare 10 minutes available before I had to go out today, and I squeezed in a quick play.

The way the game environments unravel is just wonderful. What better reward for finally beating a boss than the rich menu of branching paths that the game then treats you to. I tiptoed around the CW last night both terrified at what I'd find, and with a big shit-eating grin borne out of pure "Ooh, I wonder what's down there"ness.

Go back to Dark Souls when done. You'll like it.

Right. Done with CE. Not sure I had fun there. But happy that it was very different. Seems like this is the bed of chaos for this game. Minus the 10 minute run to get there.

Axe two handed charged attack makes that boss incredibly easy.

Axe two handed charged attack makes that boss incredibly easy.

bolt did so much damage it was a joke. Don't have the balls to deal with what I found after that. Not sure whether I will. It seems like I should be able to speak with it. Don't want to start a fight that could lock me out of content if I find something that lets me talk to it. So they are keeping a monster below the cathedral? So fucking weird. They put so much work into thinking about the story and then tell you nothing about it. I respect that actually.

bolt did so much damage it was a joke. Don't have the balls to deal with what I found after that. Not sure whether I will. It seems like I should be able to speak with it. Don't want to start a fight that could lock me out of content if I find something that lets me talk to it. So they are keeping a monster below the cathedral? So fucking weird. They put so much work into thinking about the story and then tell you nothing about it. I respect that actually.

If you want to know:

No option but to attack her.

Amyg's one of the easier ones though!

Keep just out of range of her swipes and keep continually around her and watch her attacks. What you're looking for are the attacks where she slams her arms down and lowers her head at the same time. When this happens, run in and give her a couple of smacks before running out again. If you keep hitting the head, you'll stun it and can do a visceral attack, (Remember you can do a visceral even while still "running" unlike previous games where you had to stop before hitting R1)

If she decides to jump on top of you, don't roll until almost the very last second and you'll survive.

If I stop being lazy, I'll upload my video of her fight tonight.

Probably already got past her by now but here's my video of my fight against Amy in NF. It's a bit all over the place since it was only my second attempt but hope it might help some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMNaP5sxaiw

I had a couple more goes at the last boss tonight and... nope. Sorry, Timmo. I'm sure I could do it in the end - probably - but I'm simply not enjoying the experience any more, so that's that - I quit. I might boot it up again if someone around my level who's similarly frustrated fancies giving co-op a try, but otherwise that's BB done for me.

I know people will say 'but you'll get better and crack him in the end - I did - and then imagine the feeling of satisfaction, like no other game can give!' Well, yeah, maybe that's so. But it'd be more like relief and bitter gloating than joy - than the summit of some kind of pleasure. Just a dark, malevolent, fevered communion with a monstrous kind of gratification. I'd probably (figuratively speaking of course) spit on the twat's grave when he's dead, like you would an evil bastard who's made your life hell, whom you finally overcome and stab in the back, stab stab stab repeatedly to death, even after death, stab stab stab, just keep stabbing, there must be more left to give from his rotting flesh, and then you toast a marshmallow on the fire you burn his corpse on in your back garden.

:lol:

Brilliant and absolutely spot on regards it. The utter bastard.

What level are you, out if interest?

If you co op with anyone, you'll lead the charge / stay in front, yeah?

Had half hour spare before bed last night. Started a skill / bloodtinge build, ended up playing for 3 times as long.. Cleared up to BSB though, having lots of coop fun on the way!

SKL/BLD - CB 4v1:

Gazza and two players helped me vs cleric beast.. :)

SKL/BLD - FG 3v1:

Some awesome teamwork here, couldn't help but grin when the one guy pulled out his flamethrower and went to town on Gazza!

SKL/BLD - BSB 2v1:

Sadly the summons seemed to dry up in Old Yarnham, but Alfred helped me best he could! Eat fire whip, you beast!

Love how much easier these bosses feel with my current skills, that sense of personal levelling up is so satisfying. :D

Am digging the whip too, the range is terrifying! Have picked up the weapon RS in Old Yarnham as my alternative main, moveset is a bit weird but that full charge R2 in trick mode is SICK! :wub:

I'm also going to try something re the Hunters..

I'm going to avoid fighting any of them, as I wonder if it makes a difference to the story..

But that means not picking up Eileen's weapon! Seems a waste with a skill build! Hmmm.

I played roughly ten hours of Demons and twenty hours of Dark and neither of them grabbed me like this has. I think there is much to be said for the shared experience; I played the previous games when both had been out for some time and everyone seemed to know the ins and outs of everything. With Bloodborne, I'm still there while everything is relatively new and there's a whole community struggling together. I like that. But then I also think there's something about the faster paced combat that just sits better with me. It seems to be encouraging me to get stuck in, where as the previous games kept me at arms length. I'm hardly a Souls veteran so I may be wrong. Regardless, I think I'm going to give the PS4 version of Dark Souls 2 a whirl after I'm done with this.

Currently banging my head against RtVS. Got him down to about 15% last night and my heart was virtually pumping out of my chest. I'll do it tonight I'm sure.

I think I'm at a bit of a boss wall. I am going to level up the axe to see how it compares with LHB as I think it has a superior moveset.

Boss of FCC, UCW, and then I have Nightmare Frontier and that's about it I think. Is there anyth No else to the LB? It seems a bit of a small area.