Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Still being relatively early on in the game, I think i'm going to wait for the patch to drop before carrying on, also hopefully the guide will be out by then as well. Think I'm almost up to the BSB.

How does this compare in size to Dark Souls?

That's hiw I'm feeling Gorf, which seems ridiculous after Platinuming Dark Souls and playing through the rest of this in a week. All my enthusiasm for it has ebbed away to the point that I think I'll need to start again at some point to find the motivation to actually finish.

Cheers Timmo. I haven't even been back to the game since I gave it two or three goes on Monday night, but I'm sure I'll have another crack, so thanks for the tips. Thing is (end game spoiler)

I'm more or less doing that, but seem to do very little damage, and I've since watched a couple of vids where people beat him doing more or less what I do, but seem not only to lay on more damage per hit, but also take a lot less from his attacks (and I am majorly set up for physical damage avoidance in armour). And he always transforms twice for me, not once, and relatively early on - a lot sooner than he does in the vids I watched. Maybe an insight thing? Dunno. But maybe that last thing I call a transformation is what you call a power up. It's odd, because although I always found Hunters the most difficult foe to deal with (harder than any boss), I always beat them; this one I just don't seem able to master. I know what he's going to do but he just seems too quick. Even in his first configuration I find it hard to catch the parry window - rarely get more than one riposte in, sometimes two, per fight. And obviously in his last stage you can't (or I don't seem able to) parry at all, so I just try running and dodging like you say. But I'm just not quick enough, and his damage output seems colossal. Meh, maybe I'm just too old for this shit. It's about time that caught up with me.

Honestly, you can do it. In my opinion it’s the hardest fight in the game but I think the intimidation was killing me, once you do it you'll wonder what took you so long. A couple more tips:

He starts glowing at half health. If it's before for you then yeah, try spending all your insight.

The animation for his AOE attack is similar to his initial power up so I guess that's what you're referring to. Leave him alone when he does it. You can hit him two or three times if you're brave but I didn't. In his initial transformation hit him though, free damage.

For the first half of the fight I went sword one handed form, the second I used it two handed (you'll only ever wanna hit him once) for the increased damage.

To get good sword damage try and get your strength and skill up to about 30, then you should have 3 gems each with a 15% to 20% boost. Your damage will be really good then. If your strength and skill are a bit lower don't worry, it's still doable.

Try turning the sound down, makes bosses easier when the music and sound isn't stressing you out.

Cheers Timmo. I think we're more or less talking about the same strategies (though I may be too slow to go two-handed here), but when it comes to Str/Sk, I'm afraid almost all my points are in Arcane, so I'd have no chance (without the most ludicrous farming) of getting reasonable stats in the others now.

I'm using a +10 LHB, and I've tried switching it between bolt, fire and arcane gems, but they all do much the same damage. I strongly suspect this is part of the problem - he's all physical, no elemental/arcane weaknesses, and maybe even resists to them (?) - and I get the feeling that the physical attack-based setup with extra damage gems would be massively more effective.

Sigh. I wish I'd talked myself out of that arcane build now.

Interesting couple of hours on it tonight (wife and d1 at Lion King, d2 went to sleep early).

Finally figured out how to get down that tower after 40 minutes (don't even ask). Then got quickly slaughtered in the new area of town. Opened up at least one shortcut and wandered around for a bit. The difficulty level seems to have suddenly jumped. Finally met VA, took off around a third of her energy, but I can see that's going to be a very, very frustrating fight.

One way led to a forest, didn't go down there yet. The other way led to two guys who blew me away then slashed me to death. Why aren't these guys killing the fucking beasts if they're so good?

Back to CW, and met a very interesting guy carrying a bag......it was downhill from there very quickly. Not a fan of the area it leads you to, I seemed to be running and dodging a lot! After being trapped there for an age, I found the lantern and got the hell out.

Decided to level up a bit, bought the 20k sword but not quite feeling it yet. Need to give it a proper test. Next chance to play will probably be Saturday, but there's plenty to do now, with one complete area I've not even visited yet.

Cheers Timmo. I think we're more or less talking about the same strategies (though I may be too slow to go two-handed here), but when it comes to Str/Sk, I'm afraid almost all my points are in Arcane, so I'd have no chance (without the most ludicrous farming) of getting reasonable stats in the others now.

Sigh. I wish I'd talked myself out of that arcane build now.

Sorry if you mentioned this previously, but are you...

...parrying? I don't know if Visceral Attacks scale with a stat but I took off the majority of his health with parries, plus he's still susceptible to it in his powered up state.

Yeah, I'm trying to, but succeeding little. Have to say, when it does work (I find the window infinitesimally small in this fight, or else I'm just not getting the timing right, so I only manage one or two a fight), I'm not taking off all *that* much health - though obviously a lot more than in a normal hit. As I said, I suspect the whole lack of damage thing, riposte or not, is due to my elemental base and arcane build. I suspect it's highly ineffective against this boss.

Yeah, I'm trying to, but succeeding little. Have to say, when it does work (I find the window infinitesimally small in this fight, or else I'm just not getting the timing right, so I only manage one or two a fight), I'm not taking off all *that* much health - though obviously a lot more than in a normal hit.

If you go back to the second lantern in the game, the guy at the window has gone feral and gives you a rune to increase visceral attack damage.

I'm using it Timmo!

Honestly, it might just be that I'm shit. It's just odd that I wasn't anywhere near this shit until now. I'll have to upload a fight to show you I guess, if it comes to my failing many more times. It'll be good for lols if nothing else.

Where can I get this.

I get them off ITunes. They did them for playthroughs of Dark, II and Demons too.

Abject Suffering is where they play bad games and is very funny. Watch Out For Fireballs is retro and is also good.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way but really like their podcasts.

Yeah, sort of. You're actually asked to do something for the first time - something you couldn't have done before. That's the turning point.

Kind of following on from this, I have a related endgame question.

Now that I've dealt with MWN, the doll has more or less told me to go get G, but I've heard that there's another foe after him if I do other stuff before taking him on. Is now - between MWN and G - the only chance I have to get this other stuff done, or is there some kind of post-game state where I can run around and do what I need?

Kind of following on from this, I have a related endgame question.

Now that I've dealt with MWN, the doll has more or less told me to go get G, but I've heard that there's another foe after him if I do other stuff before taking him on. Is now - between MWN and G - the only chance I have to get this other stuff done, or is there some kind of post-game state where I can run around and do what I need?

Anything you need to do, you need to do before

you go through the gate to talk to him. EDIT: Or technically, I suppose, if he kills you, you can go back to the other areas to do stuff. I know you can if you need to farm vials, for example. But I wouldn't rely on that for actual game progression/important stuff. And to get the final, final boss you have to do something before you even start talking to him anyway. So you definitely can't do that after the fight has been kicked off.

After that, whatever happens leads to NG+.

It's not just your stats Gorf, I went standard strength/skill build and whilst I can consistently get him to his powered up state I can do barely any damage after that.

I think the problem is that I've developed strategies around my stats and weapons to deal with different enemy types. My strategy for dealing with that type/size of enemy doesn't seem to work at all and he's a ridiculously tough enemy to try to invent and perfect a new one against. That's why I'm thinking I might start again, see if redoing the game with a different weapon will allow me to deal with him less painfully. I don't think I can be bothered at the moment though, and I think this might be the one place where the lack of different builds is a major weakness. In Dark Souls, when I got utterly stuck, I started again and played with a completely different character type. The range of weapons and equipment here just isn't diverse enough to give it that feeling and so rather than sticking with it with a new character it's going on the pile until I feel like playing it the same way again.

I dunno man, I think the 'variety' in Dark Souls builds is being slightly over-egged..

Don't get me wrong, I do miss having as many options in terms of magic, etc, but ultimately I found that my magic characters only ended up using the support stuff like weapon buffs and effects like hidden body etc. Items now fill those roles in Bloodborne.

The missile style long range magic was all the same really, aoe stuff all the same, there actually wasn't that much variety to it, imo. It appears like there is variety, but it was all just stronger / different looking versions of the same things.

There may have been more equipment in Dark Souls, but again it only really offered illusion of choice; ten Greatswords that basically all have the same move set.

I'm certainly looking forward to starting a skill / bloodtinge build after this quality-build first playthrough.

Harry, man. Don't give up! It gets so good once you've gone passed him, too! Is there anywhere else you can go? Write me a list of your hunting achievements! :) see if I can point you in the direction of a distraction which may raise your spirits and reignite your vigour!

Dood - spent some more time in the area before ToR. Still looking for that key for UW. But found a ton of crap I had missed.

Would you like a hint?

Very gentle:

It's between the first and second lamps

Gentle:

It's closer to the second lamp than the first

Bit more specific:

you can see it inside a big square cage on a corpse. The room containing has a pair of the large ogre / brick guys in it

Would you like a hint?

Very gentle:

It's between the first and second lamps

Gentle:

It's closer to the second lamp than the first

Bit more specific:

you can see it inside a big square cage on a corpse. The room containing has a pair of the large ogre / brick guys in it

Thanks bro, Read the very gentle one and will go out into the wild again with that. Funny because I was focussing on exactly the wrong area.

I dunno man, I think the 'variety' in Dark Souls builds is being slightly over-egged..

Don't get me wrong, I do miss having as many options in terms of magic, etc, but ultimately I found that my magic characters only ended up using the support stuff like weapon buffs and effects like hidden body etc. Items now fill those roles in Bloodborne.

The missile style long range magic was all the same really, aoe stuff all the same, there actually wasn't that much variety to it, imo. It appears like there is variety, but it was all just stronger / different looking versions of the same things.

There may have been more equipment in Dark Souls, but again it only really offered illusion of choice; ten Greatswords that basically all have the same move set.

I'm certainly looking forward to starting a skill / bloodtinge build after this quality-build first playthrough.

The thing is though, an illusory choice is still a choice, and you're understating the differences between the weapons, even with the extremely similar weapons like the Bastard Sword and the Claymore there are noticeable differences in their movesets that might happen to suit certain players. There's a lot to be said for being able to look totally different the second time through, as that illusion is very prominent in a third person game. It can make you feel like a different person in the world, and a lot of that is gone here. The outfits here look very similar, and they're functionally very similar and not customisable, which reduces the potential for you to customise the character. The identical equipment for all starting classes is also a major omission in my eyes. In Dark Souls I played as a bandit, slowly morphed into a claymore wielding sorcerer and ended the game wearing theif leggings and a dingy robe and felt like my starting template had evolved into my character. When I got summoned or invaded, me and the other players generally looked substantially different. When I started again, I looked totally different (starting as a knight) and immediately felt like I was playing a different character. Eventually I stumbled upon a corpse which had bandit armour on it, a little moment that made the world feel whole.

I understand that for an extremely technically skilled player, streamlining and improving the weapon and battle mechanics will feel like a much bigger change than if you're learning another system to struggle against :) I think the way you play is awesome, Tony Hawking your way through ridiculous challenges with endless patience and being satisfied if you learn one more thing. Not all of us have the patience for that though, and being able to feel like I'm playing a different character and story did a lot to help me persevere with Dark Souls until I learnt it fully, which I don't feel like I'm going to be able to do with this. It's also a lot harder to appreciate the story and direction when you're stopping playing for a bit because you're frustrated, or when one sentence of lore is your reward for powering your way through a long area.

:wub: I agree it's a shame about some of the cutbacks / streamlining, especially in terms of making characters unique looking / feeling. But on the other hand it's not like I properly tried every single weapon or armour in the older games either!

And I think you're overstating the way I play! I too was totally schizophrenic in Dark Souls, making several characters from scratch before finally completing it. Each new character felt like my favourite / the best as well, most likely because I was getting better at the game, but it felt like build I tried was viable and fun. I'll be very surprised if I don't make as many characters in this as I did in DkS1.. (about 10)

Anyone who claims that the reduced weapon & armour options is anything other than a terrible / disappointing / stupid ( delete as applicable ) decision is just wrong.

It has seriously damaged the replayability options for a lot of people, in the same way that removing all three magic options ( spells, pyro & faith ) has also basically shut off a whole style of play too.

If they'd have done one or the other, it would have been less of a blow but to go from games which had tens of weapons, practically infinite armour combinations & loads of spells to maybe 10 weapons, a handful of outfits ( all with practically the same stats ) & 5 'spells', it's a bit of a strange move.

I appreciate they are trying to streamline things & make the game easier for new people to get into but at what cost.

I'd love to know how many people finished the game using Ludwig for example as it's far & away the highest damage weapon?

I think you're being a little harsh the other way there, ph0rce.

There are fifteen right hand weapons and 10 guns. There's about 30 armour sets. Hardly a handful! The fact that their properties are so similar actually makes it more open for fashion purposes. I know for a fact I never bothered with any of the heavier armours in Dark Souls because, man, who wants to walk and roll like a slow bastard? Not me :P

Not everyone gets replay enjoyment from the same things, and that's obviously fine, and to be expected. So I'm not wrong, nobody is wrong. For me the replay in Dark was about pickin a new weapon or two from the ones I liked the look of and was yet to try, then trying them out!

Had my first successful co-op connection, and at the door of ML it couldn't have come at a better time. Just having two people alternating between distracting and attacking makes it much less chaotic, and he was down in no time. We exchanged a bow and a wave, and now I can move on. :)

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people think this is the next souls game, except it isn't.

It is a departure from souls, an experiment if you will into a different style of play and thus the weapons, kit, etc all tie into this design.

It is obviously built upon ideas of the souls games and I can understand people being disappointed but there are so many things I didn't do on my first run and stuff to do in NG+ that I am still playing it and still looking for secrets and trying to improve my solo boss skills.

After completing this I went back to DSII on the PS4 and found the combat so slow and clunky compared to this, but it is still fun to play just different.