Bloodborne - GOTD edition

MW_Jimmy

Apparently equipping the hand lantern slows down stamina regen by 20%?!?

Miyazaki is the ultimate troll.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/32kist/psa_hand_lantern_reduces_your_stamina/

This is true, I just did a quick test and I went through my first run always having it equip, what a hat stand :)

You fucking arseholes.

Dark Souls has a well just like it with lots of treasures :)

FG down on my first attempt!! I'm not sure if he went easy on me due to the suspend thing, I managed to faff around accidently equipping molotov's instead of the MB mid fight, and missed my second charged R2 > Visceral Attack after finally using the MB. I was shaking and buzzing at the end though. I've uploaded it for your amusement. :)

Finished this tonight and I have to say I absolutely loved it.

For all the DS lovers, as a contrast, all the reasons you prefer DS over this are the same reasons I prefer this over DS.

Never been able to get into any of the souls games (I've tried to play all 3) but for me this has just the right balance of action/levelling to totally suck me in.

There's always ways to improve things but it's still a 10/10 from me for sure

Just killed TOR on first go. Piece of piss as it happened, and easiest boss so far by a mile. I just made ridiculously heavy weather of it. Actually had zero vials and literally no visible red left in my Vit bar when he dropped. A falling feather would have killed me. Couldn't believe I was still alive. Onwards to NoM we go!

And...finished. :)

Really enjoyed it and have to say, personally, preferred it over the Souls games. Not too fussd over ng+ but will give it a rest and see if I fancy jumping back in. Goemon got it right with it having just the right balance of action and leveling with some of the most wondrous level/world design going. You can only get this sort of amazing in a video game and more power for it.

That's not to say it didn't wind me up something chronic at points but that's Souls for you.

Managed to get up to NoM last night.; my plan with the game is to blunder through right to the point of no return, then to use a guide or wiki to see what optional stuff I've missed before going into NG+. How far is NoM from the end?

Cheers Gorf! From reading posts on here, it sounds like I've missed loads, so looking up all of these mysterious additional areas will be like a load of free DLC being released. The game makes it clear when you're about to hit the endgame, right?

After a week or so battling through UCW & HG it was starting to become a slog as I felt underpowered. I got to VA and died a few times before deciding to wimp it and summon help. Help promptly arrived but within minutes an invader turned up, who was dealt with. We then waltzed our way to VA and beat her. I managed to contribute, pretty much evenly, to her demise and I thought I'd have another bash St the woodland I'd found earlier.

Now managed to get as far as TWOH before using a bold hunters mark to get outta there with my blood echoes. Laboriously, my point is that this new area rekindled my understanding of the fighting mechanics, and I my enjoyment has rocketed again.

Ace game.

20K for a sword!? Those fuckers know they have a closed market!

Just bought that. Not had a chance to give it a go yet.

It's great if enemies are weak to it and you have enough points in Arcane (it scales A with Arc). But obviously it relies on being close to an enemy and being able to hold the trigger down for a few seconds - the big damage is done over time, not in rapid bursts like you would deal with a melee weapon. So when you get behind a big, cumbersome boss that's weak to that element, for example, and the boss could be stuck like that for a few seconds. I'd imagine it's better in co-op with a partner as the one drawing aggro.

Gorf, are you still stuck in the same place?

Very late game:

Gehrman. I remember him being a huge, huge spike for me as well and after 7 or 8 goes I was convinced I wasn't good enough at the game to kill him.

When he's two handed he's pretty manageable after a number of goes.

When he switches to one hand he's really tricky and there's no getting away from it. Keep dodging and getting the odd hit in.

Before he transforms you can wail on him quite a bit, hammer away until you're low on stamina and you'll damage him surprisingly quick.

When he transforms he gets infinite poise and you can't stagger him, however he's not much harder and you shouldn't be intimidated. Also he switches freely from two handed to one. You'll find him much easier to hit when he's two handed so play it safe when he's got it short.

Two handed he'll make a number of pretty easy to counter moves that you can just stay out of reach of and then counter.

When he does his jump in the air thing try and get under him to avoid it. When he does his power up AOE move get the hell out of there.

Just keep trying and don't be intimidated, it's more a fight of patience than anything. Don't be greedy. I found after getting him transformed it only took a couple of goes after that playing safe and healing a lot.

Managed to get up to NoM last night.; my plan with the game is to blunder through right to the point of no return, then to use a guide or wiki to see what optional stuff I've missed before going into NG+. How far is NoM from the end?

It is

very close indeed.

Eek! I was battling through there earlier!! I'll be careful then, need to make sure I clear up as much as I can before crossing that point of no return.

About that place:

OMG THOSE SPIDERS. And they keep coming back!! Man. :(

And sheesh, that hunter doesn't muck about either, and he's using my weapon!! Is it.. Ludwig? :o

Gorf, are you still stuck in the same place?

Very late game:

Gehrman. I remember him being a huge, huge spike for me as well and after 7 or 8 goes I was convinced I wasn't good enough at the game to kill him.

When he's two handed he's pretty manageable after a number of goes.

When he switches to one hand he's really tricky and there's no getting away from it. Keep dodging and getting the odd hit in.

Before he transforms you can wail on him quite a bit, hammer away until you're low on stamina and you'll damage him surprisingly quick.

When he transforms he gets infinite poise and you can't stagger him, however he's not much harder and you shouldn't be intimidated. Also he switches freely from two handed to one. You'll find him much easier to hit when he's two handed so play it safe when he's got it short.

Two handed he'll make a number of pretty easy to counter moves that you can just stay out of reach of and then counter.

When he does his jump in the air thing try and get under him to avoid it. When he does his power up AOE move get the hell out of there.

Just keep trying and don't be intimidated, it's more a fight of patience than anything. Don't be greedy. I found after getting him transformed it only took a couple of goes after that playing safe and healing a lot.

Cheers Timmo. I haven't even been back to the game since I gave it two or three goes on Monday night, but I'm sure I'll have another crack, so thanks for the tips. Thing is (end game spoiler)

I'm more or less doing that, but seem to do very little damage, and I've since watched a couple of vids where people beat him doing more or less what I do, but seem not only to lay on more damage per hit, but also take a lot less from his attacks (and I am majorly set up for physical damage avoidance in armour). And he always transforms twice for me, not once, and relatively early on - a lot sooner than he does in the vids I watched. Maybe an insight thing? Dunno. But maybe that last thing I call a transformation is what you call a power up. It's odd, because although I always found Hunters the most difficult foe to deal with (harder than any boss), I always beat them; this one I just don't seem able to master. I know what he's going to do but he just seems too quick. Even in his first configuration I find it hard to catch the parry window - rarely get more than one riposte in, sometimes two, per fight. And obviously in his last stage you can't (or I don't seem able to) parry at all, so I just try running and dodging like you say. But I'm just not quick enough, and his damage output seems colossal. Meh, maybe I'm just too old for this shit. It's about time that caught up with me.