rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

From a multiplayer perspective I see nothing wrong with this. It's a thoroughly decent attempt using the standard COD template. It's just things have moved on from this type of shooter. Dice's frostbite powered Battlefield 4 and Bungie's hybrid of genres Destiny seem to be holding gamers attention. My friends list has no one playing Advanced Warfare anymore.

• Upvote 2

I just picked this up on PC now that it is available for 22 quid. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, although it generally complains that the online service is not available many times before it finally connects and I've been kicked out once or twice.

Other than that, seems OK. Mostly I feel like my deaths are my fault.

I've had battlefield 4 since release but I just can't be bothered with it. CoD is simple pick-up-and-play twitch gaming.

I do want to play BF4, it looks great and no doubt it is an absorbing and intelligent shooter. I've enjoyed playing through the campaign. Not having anyone local who plays it online to talk to, I can't work out why I should choose one server over another and once into a match I can't work out what's going on. No mics and no friends makes things rather obscure. I tried bf3 but none of the servers would let me in. I got kicked for being in the UK, kicked for being low level but mostly kicked without reason.

There is a big learning curve with those games (even before you get into strategy or loadouts) which isn't present in AW because it has maintained the Xbox Live style multiplayer. I've seen PC players complain about that but personally all my multiplayer has been on Xbox Live until now so I like not having to find a good server although I appreciate that dedicated servers and private servers could make a game much better if you have a bit of a community to play with.

Anyway, yes I wasn't intending to compare the two as equals - for me they are different ends of the shooter continuum.

I put this on again last night and its new things are missing textures. I've spawned multiple times with no gun texture and players are just arms running around.

Are they just trying to screw up now?

Im back on ghosts and much preferring it, you can actually play tactically without dying constantly, had some great games where I locked down some parts of the map, strategic IEDs, silencers on my gun, unlocking working scorestreaks like turrets and so on. Seems to be quite a few people staying with it too.

Watching some of the long-time YouTube players like Sandy Ravage and Xcal shows just how spawn-kill-die the gameplay is, with everyone jumping around like rabbits. There seems to be little in the way of tactical options, and skill (which these guys have) doesn't make the difference it should. The speed of the game on PC is terrifying too.

Trolling angry randoms with lasers looks like fun though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Exactly, its even faster but your input tools arent up to scratch. Im not a bad gamer but tracking jumping players through the air in jerky movements with a thumbstick isnt my idea of fun. Even less so if you dont use the mandatory toughness perk so youre thrown off target. Its just a stupid game.

I'm in the it's rubbish but not totally rubbish camp. Actually, I'm in the 'it's not COD' camp. I only play TDM solo so I can only comment on that but there is absolutely no flow.

The maps are good, except the dreadful one everyone slags off, and the verticality and movement options do add a lot but they remove any semblance of map control. Add in a ridiculous time to kill, the completely OP Bal (rendering any other gun choice a self-nerf) and fucking awful sound-design and you've got a game of kill-tag.

Some of the best Youtubers, who are dropping 100+ scores, will still take 30 to 40 deaths. Anyone who likes an online FPS where they consider 20-18 a good and enjoyable game will actually love this but no matter how many kills I get in a game I find myself shot in the back within 2 seconds or getting outgunned with an SMG by a Bal at close range.

There's no point trying to use a range of guns and there's no point trying to play a tactical game unless you want to camp it hard.

It's ok for a quick blast but has no longevity. It's a MacDonalds cheeseburger.

When I went back to ghosts my kd went from 1ish to running FFA games on 30/3. The stats are skewed from when ive ground out challenges but actually just playing it you feel in control ouf your destiny way more. In 2 hours last night ive had multiple 15 streaks where in AW im lucky to get 5

Yeah, after I got rid of AW I went back to Ghosts and finished the 7th prestige off, I was doing really well *consistently* as the IW netcode is still the best this series has.

With all the new maps from the season pass it's like a new game in some regards.

Exactly, its even faster but your input tools arent up to scratch. Im not a bad gamer but tracking jumping players through the air in jerky movements with a thumbstick isnt my idea of fun. Even less so if you dont use the mandatory toughness perk so youre thrown off target. Its just a stupid game.

Whilst I do agree with mouse control it's even better (bought the PC version cheap as well) I can't say out of all the complaints I've ever felt the controls weren't up to the job on PS4. Advanced Warfare is probably one of the few CODs were I do consistently pretty well :lol: (or at least did!)

FYI The Atlas Edition (it doesn't come with the season pass this time) is reduced from 59.99 to 39.99 on the game website today, if anyone's still after this.

You could probably sell the extra map DLC and the other shite on and cover a large portion of that cost.

When I went back to ghosts my kd went from 1ish to running FFA games on 30/3. The stats are skewed from when ive ground out challenges but actually just playing it you feel in control ouf your destiny way more. In 2 hours last night ive had multiple 15 streaks where in AW im lucky to get 5

And that's your/the problem. You think 30/3 is normal, fun? Fuck that, you've just highlighted the main problem with the other CODs.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can we please stop talking about Ghosts. Its rubbish. Just because you can apparently camp in it doesn't make it suddenly better than this. This is a very different game.

I can track people in the air with a DS4 quite well btw.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Mw2 with black hat was absolutely legendary! I spent hours changing campers mines through walls and trapping them

Black Ops 2 not MW2, yeah? ;)

And that's your/the problem. You think 30/3 is normal, fun? Fuck that, you've just highlighted the main problem with the other CODs.

I'd rather go 30/3 than 1:1. That's how you know that either:

1. You're in a lobby of baaaaad players.

2. You're playing well.

Being shot in the back continually due to the merry-go-round spawns of the post-MW2 titles is what totally put me off playing CoD.

I don't remember spawns being an issue in CoD4/MW2, but from Black Ops onwards, spawns (and the netcode/lag compensation) have been really obvious.

Anything that exacerbates that, without addressing the underlying problems, seems like a bad move.

• Upvote 1

I've not had a massive issue with tracking people in the air. For the most part it's aiming where you think they're heading.

I can understand if that's too hard for some though. You're best off playing the ground based shooters that match your skill set better.

I've not had a massive issue with tracking people in the air. For the most part it's aiming where you think they're heading.

I can understand if that's too hard for some though. You're best off playing the ground based shooters that match your skill set better.

This is very patronising, id put my skill set against yours. Mid distance, 100 yards plus, when the enemy is a dot in your sites but is jerking around with boosting, plus lag comp, exacerbates not being able to manipulate a pad as well as a mouse. Skill doesnt come into it, you cant move a tiny thumb stick to the degree of precision you need.

I haven't played ghosts as i haven't heard anyone but Angel say it is anything but shite, even my mates who are huge COD players with thousands of hours into them etc... i am strangely tempted to pick it up on the cheap to try it tho!

I have gone 23/5 on this tho, not 30/3 obv but not far off and i have had plenty of 3:1 ratio scores - i am nowhere near as good at this COD than my heyday due to too much battlefield time over the years.

I am still enjoying it as a sugar rush game, 30 mins on this is great fun - i will never be into it as much as MW but this game has its place in my group of fps games.

• Upvote 1

This is very patronising, id put my skill set against yours. Mid distance, 100 yards plus, when the enemy is a dot in your sites but is jerking around with boosting, plus lag comp, exacerbates not being able to manipulate a pad as well as a mouse. Skill doesnt come into it, you cant move a tiny thumb stick to the degree of precision you need.

From my experience it's the same as everything else. If the connection is on your side, it's easier to kill them when they're up in the air and totally exposed. If the connection is against you, don't even bother trying to hit them.

The best thing about AW is that i'm actually quite excited about what Treyarch and Infinity Ward are doing with the 3 years they have each. If AW is the breathing room that those guys need to create something really special then I'm all for it.

Also it means Sledgehammer are nowhere near either of those titles ;)

Stop being so defensive. It's clear that you're having trouble hitting the idiots that take to the air lots. That's OK. Just means you have a play style not suited to AW. You mention trying to hit an enemy that is a dot in your sights boosting around. If that is your preferred method of engagement then I can see why AW is no fun for you. I suck at the mid to longer range stuff. Hence why I try to make sure I engage a little closer. Hence why I assume I'm not finding the airborne stuff as annoying as you are. Just adapt man. That video you posted earlier showed you taking on people at close range and doing well at it.

Dunno. I generally have found the ones bouncing about are the ones leaving themselves exposed.

Please don't take this as a "I'm better than you" thing. Anyone who's played COD or BF4 with me knows I'm not very good. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1