IGNORED

Timeless Video Game Music / Audio

Matthew Kenyon

I used to fly around aimlessly just to listen to this, still brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye. As well as that though I think it's a really nice Jazz tune. It really reminds me of the stuff Bob James recorded in the late seventies (he wrote the theme to Taxi).

The old theme, revamped for the latest game. This was a special part of the game for me:

Yep — stunning. Loved the beginning field remix as soon as I started playing:

Got me going through Zelda tracks now (which I tried not to go through because there are so many gems).

This has always been stunning:

I already posted my preference in the Marty O'Donnell thread. Now have 10 hours of it.

WARNING: Please don't actually listen to 10 hours of it non-stop as you'll probably end up hallucinating sinister purple ghosts, fashioning a crude dinosaur suit and going on a murder spree in the nearest town centre, the police finding you collapsed on the floor sobbing in between blowing bubbles and stuffing your face with fruit.

The exciting-sounding 'Main Menu Theme' from Metroid Prime is just wonderful. I always used to sit there and listen to it for a bit whenever I played the game.

So, the sequel comes out. They can't possibly come up with a different but equally-awesome bit of music can they? Well, yeah:

Just perfect, perfect pieces of music. Tells you so much about the games, and even sounds a little retro too to hark back to the originals, so for that reason I can't see them ever ageing.

Reminds me of the incredible time I had picking up a GameCube a year or two after release and having so many amazing games to play on it :wub:

Everytime this or a similar topic pops up, my response is the same. But that's because both games have brilliant soundtracks, so it's okay.

Both songs get me right in the emotions every time (it helps that the games were ace too).

I played BG&E for the first time earlier this year, and this plinking little piano piece came on and I just stared at the screen, transfixed. I had no idea where I knew it from, but I had this total wave of nostalgia. Eventually I realised I'd heard it dozens of times as part of an OCRemix that found its way onto an insomniac mix CD, about ten years ago. So a game wound up taking me back to a memory of not even playing the game at all.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13EF8jdEI5c

Not the best track from Sonic but it brings back a lot of memories. After a couple of years with an Atari ST I had my first experience of a proper console when my cousin came to stay with his Megadrive. After 3 days of playing it I finished Sonic, at 2am with the whole family watching. It was the first game I ever actually finished, and the music really brings back the sweaty-palmed terror of trying to avoid those crushers as my lives ticked away.

Okay, this is a really obvious choice and I could have gone for something like the LN2 intro music or LN2's Central Park theme, but when I first heard LN1's intro theme there was very little out there I could compare it to - most other chiptunes I had heard were full of big beats and harsh synth sounds and never attempted to create something so atmospheric, which is why this will always stay in my memory as one of the greats :D

Also Alex W's BG&E tune is a good call; hearing it again as the credits rolled was the perfect way to round off such an enjoyable game :)

Man, I loved Super R-Type's music, and the first stage's music is particularly memorable for me:

Craziest bit was, the game was a forced scroller, right? So you'd always reach the first boss but about 1:50-2:00.. meaning you'd never hear the AWESOME jazz trumpet into piano solo unless you listened in the sound test.

The *other* great thing I loved about the sound test was, you could press the R shoulder button to fade out the track. I figured out that if you repeatedly pressed R, after about 8-10 presses it would start fading the track back in, but not linearly, it would start dropping in the various sound channels one at a time, letting you almost make your own remixes of the tracks! Can't find a youtube video that shows that though :(

• 2 weeks later...

So, like anyone with sense, I haven't played Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 (what a snappy title). Can't say I regretted that decision in my life, but I do a little bit more now, as I just discovered that it actually has an incredible soundtrack. It's basically made up entirely of fantastic big-band covers and other remixes of classic Mario and Sonic tunes, and is an absolute must listen for anyone who's a fan of Mario's soundtracks (for some reason - despite the fact that the game was actually developed by Sega - the Sonic remixes are pretty mediocre, and often not remixed at all). I'm still working through them, but here's some of what I've heard so far:

A Super Mario Land Medley

The Mario 64 Slide song - in Ska

SMG Bouy Base and dubstep together at last!

Great cover of the SMW theme

Seriously, I could very easily just c&p every single Mario song into this thread, they're all fantastic. Here's a link to the playlist.