rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

Just now, denisb said:

Playing about with a vintage macro lens I picked up 

39274F8B-637F-4A8C-919C-6D254821EF88.thumb.jpeg.0b9d3ac537027b5c040fc6f7717ccbb1.jpeg5E8041F1-5979-4E59-A235-6F27A4F6EB25.thumb.jpeg.b0d74eabffcf0aa7dfb71be4676d0798.jpeg

A few taken yesterday in my living room, in a moment of absolute boredom. I used an old curtain as backdrop and roped my girlfriend into being my subject. This was mainly to test out my new Mamiya RZ67 but I'm quite happy with how the tests shots worked out on digital so thought I'd share since I won't be developing the film stuff for a while!

Tone

Early Morning Stretches

Monochrome lady

Fragile

And a few older ones I finally got around to processing.

Fresh Pasta

Tea?

Full Neon

And some Medium Format Film shots. Probably the last I'll take on my old Mamiya 645 before I sell it:

interior

shady eye from the suspicious dog

The way she moves

Car Rave

• Upvote 9

A scan from last year (Ilford FP4):

Riverside

I’m still finding scanning and dealing with scans quite hard. The raw scan looked like this:

49798661263_2c470a3e9c_k_d.jpg

It was quite hard to deal with the muddy tones and streaks (once I’d lightened it). I’m not sure if it’s just how it comes out from the scanner or whether I could be doing something to make the process easier.

18 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

A scan from last year (Ilford FP4):

Riverside

I’m still finding scanning and dealing with scans quite hard. The raw scan looked like this:

49798661263_2c470a3e9c_k_d.jpg

It was quite hard to deal with the muddy tones and streaks (once I’d lightened it). I’m not sure if it’s just how it comes out from the scanner or whether I could be doing something to make the process easier.

Do you tweak the image in the scanner software? I always alter the settings for the image before performing the full scan - usually altering the histogram to maximise the tones in the photo. It makes a big difference.

Some people in The Hepworth.

Minolta SRT 101b, MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 & Ilford HP5+ (@800asa).

Not sure why some of the images came out a lot grungier than the others.

49726964951_b3fba2f3ac_b.jpg

Gallery shadows by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49729600833_57f7be6ee9_b.jpg

Reclining and standing by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49737733746_ee03811c10_b.jpg

FILM - In front of a nude by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49738026048_e7ab088c21_b.jpg

Three figures in The Hepworth by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49768945737_d764b308e5_b.jpg

Reading about Rebecca Warren & Barbara Hepworth by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49768857783_366246c896_b.jpg

Ston R by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49772788012_f32510a74f_b.jpg

I, the sculptor, I am the form, the thrust by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49773604191_4537a2d2f0_b.jpg

Orbit by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FishyFish said:

Do you tweak the image in the scanner software? I always alter the settings for the image before performing the full scan - usually altering the histogram to maximise the tones in the photo. It makes a big difference.

No. But I probably should!

With colour, do you just adjust the RGB as a whole or each colour individually?

I also get two vertical steaks on every scan in the same place. It’s virtually unnoticeable on B/W but it can be a bugger on colour (bright purple steaks on a bright blue sky). I can usually edit this out but it’s a hassle.

10 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

No. But I probably should!

With colour, do you just adjust the RGB as a whole or each colour individually?

I also get two vertical steaks on every scan in the same place. It’s virtually unnoticeable on B/W but it can be a bugger on colour (bright purple steaks on a bright blue sky). I can usually edit this out but it’s a hassle.

Which scanning software are you using?

I’ve mostly given up on scanning colour negs as I could never get the colours looking right, so I’m probably not much help on that. I did try altering the colour channels in the histogram, but I never made a good job of it - something usually ended up looking wrong. I sometimes re-scan my old negs on the Plustek (the original scans were on my Epson V550 flatbed) and Silverfast seems to make a bit better job of the colours than Epson Scan, but that might just be me.

Black and and white is far easier! :)

The vertical lines Ines could be dust on the scanner. This YouTube video features it, but there are probably other sources of info on what can be done to resolve it too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Which scanning software are you using?

I’ve mostly given up on scanning colour negs as I could never get the colours looking right, so I’m probably not much help on that. I did try altering the colour channels in the histogram, but I never made a good job of it - something usually ended up looking wrong. I sometimes re-scan my old negs on the Plustek (the original scans were on my Epson V550 flatbed) and Silverfast seems to make a bit better job of the colours than Epson Scan, but that might just be me.

Black and and white is far easier! :)

The vertical lines Ines could be dust on the scanner. This YouTube video features it, but there are probably other sources of info on what can be done to resolve it too.

I’m using Epson scan.

I think it is dust and I’ve thought about opening the whole thing up to clean it but really that might make it worse.

I’ll definitely watch the video in the morning but what I’ve been doing is using the Ps select tool to manually select the long colour bands, feathering it, creating a new layer from that selection, then slightly shifting the colours on that layer with hue/saturation. It’s fiddly, hit and miss, and isn’t 100% perfect but I can usually make it far less noticeable. 

For colour neg scans, I don’t try to mess with the colour in the Epson software - or even remove the orange mask anymore. I open the scan in Ps and use levels to set the white point with the eye dropper, black point, then play with the neutral grey. It seems to work far better than letting the scanner software do its own thing.

8 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m using Epson scan.

I think it is dust and I’ve thought about opening the whole thing up to clean it but really that might make it worse.

I’ll definitely watch the video in the morning but what I’ve been doing is using the Ps select tool to manually select the long colour bands, feathering it, creating a new layer from that selection, then slightly shifting the colours on that layer with hue/saturation. It’s fiddly, hit and miss, and isn’t 100% perfect but I can usually make it far less noticeable. 

For colour neg scans, I don’t try to mess with the colour in the Epson software - or even remove the orange mask anymore. I open the scan in Ps and use levels to set the white point with the eye dropper, black point, then play with the neutral grey. It seems to work far better than letting the scanner software do its own thing.

This is how I scan B&W negatives with Epson Scan:

Make sure the area is clean - dust, and then damp dust the scanner and surrounding surfaces.
Use a microfibre cloth to clean the scanner glass each time you add a set of negatives to the scanner.
Use a rocket blower to blow off any dust on the negatives and holder before placing on the scanner.

Gloves can be useful, but I never tend to use the pair I have. If you're careful then you should be able to handle the negatives without touching the actual image frames with your fingers.

For the actual scanning process, I do the following on my V550:

1) I have the following settings for B&W negatives:
v550_1.thumb.JPG.d98dfe21f93daf00ecedea1446ca7a5e.JPG

2) I preview the negatives and choose the "Normal" view. I then select each frame with the cursor.
3) I click one of the selected frames and click the Zoom option. I then use the cursor to select an area just inside the image frame:
v550_2.thumb.JPG.1abea912e4aa479d38a2292132d7f738.JPG

4) I click thge leftmost of the adjustment controls (the circle with the two red pointers) to get a starting point and then I then use the histogram control to move the input pointers so they line up with the edges of the histogram itself (I sometimes tweak the middle pointer to add or remove a bit of exposure too), and then set the output pointers to the full 0 to 255 range:
v550_3.thumb.JPG.954afd8d166c3ffd112f9b7af3b58eea.JPG

5) I then close the histogram, re-select the full image (including some of the border area) with the cursor, then click the Full button to return to the preview image. I repeat this for all the frames in the holder and then use the Scan button to make the final .Tif files.
6) I then edit them further in Lightroom based on my preferences for the image.

As for removing the lines from your scans in PS: Have you tried the Content Aware Fill option? That tends to do a really nice job a lot of the time and is probably much quicker. Depending on the image and where the line appears, you might have to do it in smaller sections rather than a single attempt, but it's still pretty efficient.

• Upvote 2

That’s really helpful - thanks. 

Do you let the Epson software apply its own unsharp mask? I’ve been turning that off.

I have used content aware fill a few times to remove steaks but depends on what part of the image - mainly I use it to remove dust.

23 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

That’s really helpful - thanks. 

Do you let the Epson software apply its own unsharp mask? I’ve been turning that off.

I have used content aware fill a few times to remove steaks but depends on what part of the image - mainly I use it to remove dust.

Yeah, I use the Epson unsharp mask. I've never had any issues with it and it saves me a job later. I know a lot of people like to apply sharpening in PS or wherever though, so it's down to preference as to whether you tick that box or not.

I mostly use the spot-heal tool for dust (either in Lightroom, or in the Camera Raw filter in PS).

49825033498_752104324c_b.jpgPink Digbeth by Nayson, on Flickr

Not 100% sure on this one.  I took it last night while I was at work (which is about five minutes walk from here) and It's a composition I've had in my head for ages which I thought would be cool with the current lack of traffic on Digbeth High Street. Obviously the first time I get chance to go there at sunset results in the most overcast day we've had in ages and the sky isn't what I'd want and I think I've cranked the pink about as far as I can get away with (if not further) but I think the two reasons I didn't just bin this off anyway is just because I've been playing with panoramas and this is one (It's cropped to 11500 x 8000) that didn't turn out disastrously even if there are a couple of obvious  artefacts in the tree, and secondly, which probably won't matter to anybody other than me, the lady on the bike turned out to be an old friend I've not seen in about a year.  Small world. 

Given that my locall processing lab is closed due to the lock-down, I've bought myself some equipment and chemicals and learnt how to develop black and white film at home.

These are from the third roll I've developed, all shot with the Holga on Ilford HP5+

49817785072_2a92a7eff2_b.jpg

Across the marsh by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49820848166_19fe4c8922_b.jpg

Lines by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

49824272188_c9de25e574_b.jpg

Remnants by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 4

On 21/04/2020 at 09:47, Scratchy Bollock said:

And some Medium Format Film shots. Probably the last I'll take on my old Mamiya 645 before I sell it:

interior

!!!!!!!

Morris Minor, going to say Series II. Just had to get that out after seeing it... lovely photo.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

!!!!!!!

Morris Minor, going to say Series II. Just had to get that out after seeing it... lovely photo.

Ha, I have no idea! But if so, that's impressive! It was this smiley little guy:

classic

Vintage

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

Ha, I have no idea! But if so, that's impressive! It was this smiley little guy:

You've happened upon what would be my Mastermind topic. Definitely a Series II from 1952-56, that dashboard with central speedometer giving it away as 54-56 (and looking the reg up says May 1956). Quite a rare one you've come across there, perhaps 120,000 were ever made and most will have rusted into dust.

• Upvote 1

big ass cow on Isle of Mull from last Sept, and a Robin in Saltwell Park Gateshead last week

MullCoo.thumb.jpg.c656d234cd5e1a66d53f0da2f45f182f.jpg

saltwellpark--2.jpg

• Upvote 7

Bit out of the ways of it, but dusted off the camera on our daily lockdown walk the other day.

91869943_10163462375175515_1879891654857457664_o.jpg

92099168_10163462375815515_2185996731412381696_o.jpg

92100655_10163462382200515_8068912719207596032_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

49842850703_92b0392706_b.jpg

Please Believe. by Nayson, on Flickr

Round the corner from work. Waiting for some people to walk past during the lockdown took longer than expected.  

49855221138_ac0516962a_h.jpg

Gull in flight by Nayson, on Flickr

And round the corner from home.  Was out with the youngest looking for ducks on the canal but there were half a dozen gulls swooping down on the water repeatedly so I tried to get one in focus. 

Edited by Naysonymous
added moar
  • Upvote 2

Hoping with people not being around the nature reserves will recover a little. It's very disappointing not being able to get out when everything is looking so great at this time of year though, especially as 2020 was going to be a big push for trying new locations! I've got several 'away' trips planned at the end of the year so hoping they can all go ahead.

This one was taken the weekend before lockdown. So glad I got out with a mate off to Great Staple Tor on Dartmoor. We got freezing cold but it was a great laugh and we got reasonable conditions. It's not the greatest composition ever but an image with some value to me.

5G1A9046-L.jpg

Pink flowers in the garden. They've been there for years but have been much more vibrant this season. No idea what they are!

5G1A9192-Edit-L.jpg

With lock down in place we've been doing what many have done and been sorting out the garden. Turns out we have a small patch of bluebells! Never seen them before in our garden.

5G1A9216-Edit-L.jpg

• Upvote 2

49910093453_88abee6bec_h.jpg

Birmingham skyline by Nayson, on Flickr

Brum today.  Dunno whether the skies are clearer than they would be or I'm just imagining it. Presumably there not being any pollution in a couple of months hasn't done it any harm though.  

49913512476_ae0833efaa_h.jpg

Piccadilly Circus by Nayson, on Flickr

Lockdown easing in London.  More people about but still deserted by "normal" standards. Not many paid adverts on the billboards at Piccadilly Circus either. 

• Upvote 2

Went to Southend last weekend as had an errand to run, decided to drive through the seafront. It was crazy and no way was we getting out of the car. So these were all shot from a moving car :lol: 

DSC00143

DSC00144

DSC00107

DSC00014

DSC00103

DSC00071

DSC00031

DSC00032

• Upvote 4

Great shots from a moving car,  kodus. My moving car shots are normally a blurred mess.

Since lockdown was\wasn't reduced I've been out twice with the camera, in the evening and to very quiet spots. It's been rather lovely if I'm honest to visit spots that are so quiet, especially as it's a chance to get away from the kitchen table I've been glued to for the past nine weeks. 

Nice field near to me that I've been itching to return to. Unfortunately the best conditions would have been about a month ago but glad to return. The sky\ field colours look a little off by my eyes but they are basically as the camera took them so I haven't done much to alter.

5G1A9236-HDR-Edit-2-L.jpg

These two are from Bystock Pools near to me (a mile or two from the shot above), it's normally a fairly popular spot for a quick walk and it is a lovely place to do a lap around the nature reserve. I went up hoping to shoot dragonflies and butterflies but I'm probably too early in the season as there were none (visible anyway) but as it was so still and peaceful I decided to get some shots of the pools themselves and the perfect reflections. The light was particularly flat that evening so I decided they worked best in B&W, but I'm watching the conditions to get another still evening to get back up there again soon.

5G1A9260-Edit-L.jpg

5G1A9258-Edit-2-L.jpg

• Upvote 1

Couple of old shots I hadn't got around to uploading:

49926223162_18f026f8c8_o.jpg

49925926106_646c373804_o.jpg

And one from my new drone:

49925406403_4915573315_o.jpg

I've been umming and ahhing about whether to buy a new camera or go for a drone for a few years and decided on the latter, as in truth, I don't use my DSLR much and there's not much wrong with it. I'm excited to see what I can do with it.

• Upvote 2

Popped to the park in town today and got a few more practice shots. 

_DSC0166

_DSC0168

_DSC0154

_DSC0157

_DSC0065

_DSC0149

_DSC0289

_DSC0290

_DSC0093

• Upvote 2

Never lurked into this part of the forum before. Some great photos to be seen!  Had a walk with the family today so here is one of my efforts:

846669037_AfternoonWalk240520-444.thumb.jpg.f51a7349a51d6a363c2f01208e39e4e3.jpg

That's my son who won't take off his bigger sisters Kath Kidson bag :D

• Upvote 3

My son (13) has decided he wants to get into photography. So before we decide if we'll get him a DSLR / Mirrorless, we told him to take some with his phone to show he can do it. These were the results from his first session this weekend. 

Lucas-Hadleight-Castle-2020-05-24-25

Lucas-Hadleight-Castle-2020-05-24-16

Lucas-Hadleight-Castle-2020-05-24-5

Lucas-Hadleight-Castle-2020-05-24-3

Lucas-Hadleight-Castle-2020-05-24-15

All with an iPhone 8.