rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

I've got a week off work next week. Might travel to London on Thursday to take some pictures.

Any recommendations on a good place/street/event? Not looking to spend much, just want to wonder around an interesting/vibrant place for half a day.

I do that quite a lot. I'd say Gerrard Street/Wardour Street/Piccadilly Circus and the surrounding area through Soho are well trodden ground for street photography for very good reason, there's a lot going on and people don't mind photographers. 

Brick Lane/Shoreditch scratches a similar itch but with added graffiti and it's right by The City for architecture stuff. 120 Fenchurch Street has a good rooftop garden you can just walk up to.  

The walk along the south bank from Westminster Bridge to Tower Bridge is full of things to see. Lots of people about, landmarks, little side streets, river traffic, good sunsets.  

Brixton had a good vibe, especially if you catch the market on Electric Avenue when it's busy. You get some real characters in Brixton too, a lot of the older people dress to impress. 

Leake Street tunnel which sits beneath Waterloo Station is good for graffiti.  

If it's nice then the walk along the canal from Warwick Avenue (Little Venice) to the Paddington Basin is lovely, lots of art and architecture.  

Camden Town to Chalk Farm to Primrose Hill is good too, Camden Lock and the Market are the stars but Primrose Hill Road has got something about it and obviously the view of central London from Primrose Hill is incredible . 

The view of Canary Wharf from Greenwich Park. Greenwich is cool too. Thames Barrier from the south side is great, you'll need to take a bus from the O2 for that.  

Cable Car at sunset.  

• Upvote 2

Went for a walk in London tonight to recreate a picture I took a couple of days ago but with a fast prime instead of a slow zoom.   I kinda like it but I'd like to fish for some feedback. 

kindom-of-sweets-puddle.jpg

JPEG straight out of camera

DSCF6652.jpg

RAW which I've cropped it a bit and tried to bring out the detail on the back of the coat a bit.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

0-E7-E104-E-D869-4-DF8-B972-EDABB2-D6-DE

More playing with the coat. left the shadow at the right hand edge of the frame. 

I've still got no real philosophy for editing do went for the "push sliders around until it looks cool" approach which has served me to this point in life. :D

Edited by Naysonymous
updates, innit?
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Ste_S said:

000082680004-7.jpg

Average street photography! :angry: What the fuck is this Ste?! You put up street photography and this is all you can do? You think this is enough? You think this is acceptable? What do you think this is, a game? Get out of my sight. :angry:

Portrait shot too long at the top, the crop at the bottom and at his left hand is harsh, figurines too bland, zero detail, too large, needs zooming. Van i think needs to be central more, you think the door should be central, i disagree it's the van, it'll still work if more cut from the right, also again i think slightly too much space surrounding subject, you want cranes but you cut off one anyway and you might be thinking if i crop more i'll cut off the far left one..well edit it down. Bottom shot is horrific and you should be ashamed.

• Downvote 8

On holiday in Istanbul this week and a great opportunity for some night shots. It’s just amazing how much more interesting a photo becomes once you reduce the temp and the blues and other details pop out of it dull orange! 

2C1F0299-A4E3-4CB9-9475-51DEBCC9DF07.jpeg

EC42DFCB-1B7E-422E-89DA-75A635D3B80D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Average street photography! :angry: What the fuck is this Ste?! You put up street photography and this is all you can do? You think this is enough? You think this is acceptable? What do you think this is, a game? Get out of my sight. :angry:

Portrait shot too long at the top, the crop at the bottom and at his left hand is harsh, figurines too bland, zero detail, too large, needs zooming. Van i think needs to be central more, you think the door should be central, i disagree it's the van, it'll still work if more cut from the right, also again i think slightly too much space surrounding subject, you want cranes but you cut off one anyway and you might be thinking if i crop more i'll cut off the far left one..well edit it down. Bottom shot is horrific and you should be ashamed.

it looks pretty good? He’s timed it just right so that the figures fit in the triangle shadow?

I guess we all have our style but I would up the contrast/blacks and whites and maybe exposure down a bit or match the shadow consistency but I guess it’s down to taste and the only taste that matters is that of the creator!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

This is incredible. Just ridiculously cinematic and evocative! Amazing stuff.

Thanks. Flippy screens FTW when getting low points of view. :)

On 13/10/2019 at 15:01, probotector said:

it looks pretty good? He’s timed it just right so that the figures fit in the triangle shadow?

I guess we all have our style but I would up the contrast/blacks and whites and maybe exposure down a bit or match the shadow consistency but I guess it’s down to taste and the only taste that matters is that of the creator!

I'm playing on Ste S's assessment on what 'average' street photography is.

Ripping into someone and just straight up shitting all over their work, isn't really feedback is it ?

Telling someone they should be ashamed of a picture... yeah, that's the very definition of being a dick.

4 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Ripping into someone and just straight up shitting all over their work, isn't really feedback is it ?

Telling someone they should be ashamed of a picture... yeah, that's the very definition of being a dick.

That’s the joke though. Person A: does transformative street photography. Person B: average, that. Person B: *puts up the very definition of generic street photography*. Person A: :)

The chunk of the post has the most constructive feedback you will find in this thread. 

You just have to understand everything to get it. A good example being how does one post something here in a different way, i had a shot of a shady rough looking guy sort of turning to stare at the camera, set against a brick wall, hazy blur. Continuing my intent to capture punk it was perfect for me, i thought to hide him in a few spoiler boxes, so you click a few times before he appears, staring at you. It was negged something like 3 times and i thought; what's happened there? It's not even a stream of pictures that will rob you of all your data. I had to try to ignore all the obvious ideas intended and think like someone else who would click a few extra times and be incensed by this shot enough to neg it. I thought; right well if you can't even understand that then i'm apparently lost on you all, I'm wasting my time, I'm out of this thread for good. I still think about it, because there's got to be an assumption it was a piss take as opposed to something amusing. 'yeah well just a neg to say i didn't like it'. But that's not what a neg is, a neg is; i disapprove of that existing here. You might notice despite the reaction to my stuff I've never negged anything in this folder. If you have feedback then you post it.

Look you have an .. idiosyncratic style that I personal dislike. And i've explained before why I dislike it, saying that the one at the top of the page, I thin kis excellent. But i've never said you should be ashamed of it. 

You rocked up, slammed a series of pictures that whilst not world changing, were interesting and are now hand waving it all aways as some sort of elaborate "joke".

It wasn't funny it's just rude. 

Sure, be constructive, but don't end quite an offensive piece with the sign off, "you should be ashamed".

On 13/10/2019 at 12:00, Loik V credern said:

Yeah, I think you've misread the room on this Loik. Threads like this work because people feel comfortable sharing their work. I accept that what you posted was an attempt to shake up or put a different spin on the feedback process, but ultimately, I don't think it's worth jeopardising the friendly and constructive atmosphere of the thread, so that you can experiment with edgy / ironic commentary. It might be entertaining for some, but I doubt @Ste_S particularly enjoyed reading your critique, however it was intended. 

Anyway, you can guess what drew me here! I think the thread has become a great showcase for the forum's photographers and it seems to have the tone and tenor which encourages wide and repeat participation. Let's keep it like that. :)

• Upvote 3

A couple I got today on my way home from EGX.  Any thoughts appreciated as I'm still tinkering with the edits: 

LRM_EXPORT_35908704806305_20191020_210126269.jpeg

Some crazy boat crew right outside the hotel. The cox was giving them dogs abuse. 

LRM_EXPORT_36576108437289_20191020_211244614.jpeg

Snogging on Leake Street. 

• Upvote 2