Jump to content
rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

Recommended Posts

Be that as it may, the fact is that I haven’t been inside a movie theater for almost ten years now.
Not that I don’t like movies. It just so happened that I haven’t seen any. Not even on TV, on DVD, or during flights. It does seem strange even to myself, considering that I spent a lot of time in cinemas, staring at the screen and watching some film or other when I was young.
Back then, Takuma Nakahira was Godard, and I was Fellini. Either one of us would always invite the other to go and see a movie together, which we did a lot, and I have no idea what it is that has pulled me this far away from movies and theaters.
A while ago, someone asked me to name my favorite movie. I didn’t know what to say. There were of course two or three Japanese, and a couple of foreign movies that had impressed themselves on my memory, but judging by the way that question was asked, that person seemed to expect a slightly different kind of answer, so I ended up sinking into thought. What finally came to mind after an eternity and a half of pondering was David Lynch’s “Eraserhead.”
So this was the one film that summed up the entire world of cinema for me.
It was ages ago that I watched it, and I only vaguely remembered the story and a few details, but what I did remember well was that it was a “dark” one. My impression of the movie was basically that just about everything on the screen, every light and every shadow, was dark. It was so mysterious a “darkness” that it engraved itself on my entrails like an importunate stain. I don’t think I will ever watch it again.

There is absolutely no connection, however, between “Eraserhead” and the fact that I haven’t seen a single movie for years.
I guess it’s just that, the older I’m getting, the more I’m taken up with roaming the streets and alleys of the city, and it’s that addiction that must be gradually extinguishing other capacities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I really like that @FishyFish . My attempts at super high contrast black and white stuff never turns out looking that good. 

 

Thanks. Some of it comes from using film, which has a really good dynamic range in many cases (this was on Ilford HP5+) so you can usually avoid blowing out highlights, even if you overexpose by a few stops.

 

I generally post process my stuff to add extra contrast too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/06/2019 at 07:32, Loik V credern said:

Be that as it may, the fact is that I haven’t been inside a movie theater for almost ten years now.
Not that I don’t like movies. It just so happened that I haven’t seen any. Not even on TV, on DVD, or during flights. It does seem strange even to myself, considering that I spent a lot of time in cinemas, staring at the screen and watching some film or other when I was young.
Back then, Takuma Nakahira was Godard, and I was Fellini. Either one of us would always invite the other to go and see a movie together, which we did a lot, and I have no idea what it is that has pulled me this far away from movies and theaters.
A while ago, someone asked me to name my favorite movie. I didn’t know what to say. There were of course two or three Japanese, and a couple of foreign movies that had impressed themselves on my memory, but judging by the way that question was asked, that person seemed to expect a slightly different kind of answer, so I ended up sinking into thought. What finally came to mind after an eternity and a half of pondering was David Lynch’s “Eraserhead.”
So this was the one film that summed up the entire world of cinema for me.
It was ages ago that I watched it, and I only vaguely remembered the story and a few details, but what I did remember well was that it was a “dark” one. My impression of the movie was basically that just about everything on the screen, every light and every shadow, was dark. It was so mysterious a “darkness” that it engraved itself on my entrails like an importunate stain. I don’t think I will ever watch it again.

There is absolutely no connection, however, between “Eraserhead” and the fact that I haven’t seen a single movie for years.
I guess it’s just that, the older I’m getting, the more I’m taken up with roaming the streets and alleys of the city, and it’s that addiction that must be gradually extinguishing other capacities.

 

Thought that sounded like a Record intro, and then there it was when I flicked through 41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

@FishyFish Been to Barcelona then ? Such a photogenic city

 

Yep, went for a few days last week. I managed to shoot almost four rolls of film (even though it was a trip with my wife, and not a photo expedition :)).

There's so much to see and we barely scraped the surface of it.

 

Managed to find a few camera shops though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a decent camera on my phone and I know it's probably not up to some of the quality that many on here are capable of but it has given me a bit of an interest in photography as I have come up with some half decent images (That i'm pretty sure I could not achieve with an DSLR :lol:)

 

But I thought I would share a couple :)

 

Spoiler


The in laws dog -

IMG_20181231_150022.jpg

 

My dog :)

IMG_20190316_094440.jpg

 

IMG_20190518_114941.jpg

 

Botanical Gardens Birmingham -

img_20190518_120855(1).jpg

 

A flower we bought in dedication to my little girl Clara -

IMG_20190605_190007.jpg

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're off to Prague again for a few days next week. Is it safe putting rolls of film film through the airport X-ray machine (I must have flown with film before but it was years ago)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2019 at 19:22, Monkeyspill said:

We're off to Prague again for a few days next week. Is it safe putting rolls of film film through the airport X-ray machine (I must have flown with film before but it was years ago)? 

 

If you put them in a clear zip-lock bag they will usually hand check it for you if you’re concerned.

 

That said, I had no problems with my 400asa films being x-rayed on a couple of recent trips (and the trip to New York involved some rolls being scanned several times extra as a number of attractions had x-ray security scanners too). The images were all fine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

 

If you put them in a clear zip-lock bag they will usually hand check it for you if you’re concerned.

 

That said, I had no problems with my 400asa films being x-rayed on a couple of recent trips (and the trip to New York involved some rolls being scanned several times extra as a number of attractions had x-ray security scanners too). The images were all fine.

I'm not going to worry then. The films I'm taking are 200 ISO or slower so I'm sure they'll be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I'm not going to worry then. The films I'm taking are 200 ISO or slower so I'm sure they'll be fine. 

 

I've shot 400ISO B&W pushed to 1600 and had no problems with airport x-ray machines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

64323742_339136086962741_231144043671889

Shakespeare Room in Birmingham Library.  It's a wood panelled room with all the Shakespeare stuff in it which can only be accessed by a viewing platform some 9 floors up on a building which already sits on top of a hill. You can see all the way to Solihull on a clear day. 

 

62609347_2510247699007999_86801684801909

View from the 20th floor of the Rotunda. looking down on Birmingham New Street station and the suburbs to the south west. 

 

64978157_315925079317101_230923013201651

The oldest underground railway platform in the world. 

 

62619439_2376531402589153_79755090165189

The Instagram tunnel at Kings Cross St Pancras has gone rainbow coloured for pride month. 

 

65172088_341693009835519_124094116660901

Cyclist on Leake Street, Waterloo. 

 

64323736_941455766190787_899494890717076

I've developed an odd fascination with this wall in the past couple of weeks.  I think it's just a hoarding while some building work is going on but the lights and what I presume is just wallpaper are great.  It's right outside the Argyll Street exit of Oxford Circus tube station. 

 

65793476_136059514259881_870865505639202

Tailor having a smoke outside his shop on Sicilian Avenue, Holborn. 

 

65301097_500357010704750_616992787244412

And someone on their break just round the corner at the Freemasons Hall. 

 

62557766_323420668588324_881075725302068

Outside Edgware Road tube.  Love the outfit the girl on the left is wearing. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I enjoy taking photos, carrying round an old Rolleiflex turns me into a dickhead magnet. I mean, it’s pretty much true for any camera that’s not a smartphone, (“Ha ha - look at David Bailey here,” etc) but much more so with the Rollei. I’ve had people getting right in my face and taking the piss while I’m trying to take photos.

 

How do you deal with dickheads? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

As much as I enjoy taking photos, carrying round an old Rolleiflex turns me into a dickhead magnet. I mean, it’s pretty much true for any camera that’s not a smartphone, (“Ha ha - look at David Bailey here,” etc) but much more so with the Rollei. I’ve had people getting right in my face and taking the piss while I’m trying to take photos.

 

How do you deal with dickheads? 

 

Wow, never had that. I'd like to think I'd just ignore them, but easy to say having never been in that situation.

I always just get nice people who want to talk about cameras or photography in general.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

 

Wow, never had that. I'd like to think I'd just ignore them, but easy to say having never been in that situation.

I always just get nice people who want to talk about cameras or photography in general.

 

I’ve had that as well, which is always nice. I think yesterday was just unusually bad. We were in a lot of tourist areas which didn’t help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4am start to get a couple of sunrise shots of Stonehenge. I got very lucky with the light! Back on the Sony A7SII for these with some old Minolta 58mm and 24mm manual lenses for company.

 

Stonehenge False Dawn

 

Then a bit of a clumsy effort taking a picture of a speeding car as it raced by.

Stonehenge morning h

 

Open Road

 

 

Stonehenge

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ste_S said:

 

Wow, never had that. I'd like to think I'd just ignore them, but easy to say having never been in that situation.

I always just get nice people who want to talk about cameras or photography in general.

 

 

Same here. I've had people ask me questions about the camera, and occasionally other photographers have commented on the "nice glass" or something, but I've not had any dickheads thankfully.

 

One of the advantages I've found with a TLR is that, because you're using a waist-level finder, quite often people won't even realise you're taking a photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Film people of Rllmuk, I have a question. Has anyone used CineStill 800T? I've just had two rolls developed and every photograph is covered in little blue circles. I've had to manually remove each spot but in some cases it's not been possible and it has ruined the image. I've got two rolls left, currently in my freezer. Any idea what this could be? I was incredibly careful with the film.

 

rllmuk2.thumb.JPG.c08c692724488ac5ffdf94612e190233.JPG

 

rllmuk.thumb.jpg.68b1f09358d09ff421e81d4a966d3749.jpg


You can see it here in on his face.

 

rllmuk3.thumb.JPG.2c3846278f70f287b2e156aa53f33874.JPG

 

The company I use have been really good so far so I don't think they've made a mistake as my fujifilm 400 came back at the same time without issues. Has anyone encountered this before? 

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Looks like condensation. After removing from the freezer are you letting the film warm up for a good few hours before opening the canister?

 

 

Well I took two rolls out with me and used both, but didn't open the second roll of Cinestill for a few hours after we began filming (Around three hours after taking it out of the freezer), so I'm not entirely sure if that would be enough time, but definitely a possibility! Thanks man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.