rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

What surprised me most was that for a 60-year old camera (I think it's a model from between 58 and 62) it still seems fine. Even the light meter seems pretty accurate. It's a lot more enjoyable to use than my DSLR.

13 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

What surprised me most was that for a 60-year old camera (I think it's a model from between 58 and 62) it still seems fine. Even the light meter seems pretty accurate. It's a lot more enjoyable to use than my DSLR.

Yeah, there's something a bit special about looking into a TLR viewfinder. It makes things look great.

My Yashica Mat is a bit younger than your Rollei (they were made 1970 to 1986), but I also have a Zeiss Mess-Ikonta folding medium format camera from the 50s that works fine and produces tack-sharp photos. Plus, when folded up, it fits in a jacket pocket!

37159858563_ebf6c6cd5b_c.jpg

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16 by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I had a go at cleaning up one of the scans that came back covered in dust and scratches from the lab. I chose this (out of focus!) one just because it had the most shit on it and looked as if it would be pretty easy to sort out:

IMG_3132.thumb.JPG.6b715c1913f41899b2a41a5724f2ff27.JPG

It actually took a lot longer than I thought it would because the spot healing tool was removing fine grain and content aware fill was leaving visible edges. I'm not great with Photoshop - I've never really understood how to use the clone tool - so I resorted to manually selecting, feathering and cutting each speck, before moving another identical layer underneath to a point where it didn't notice.  The white bits are definitely dust on the scanner; I think the black bits are where sediment settled on the emulsion when it was wet (being developed) and pulled it off.

Praise the Sun

Even disregarding the crap on the scan, they're pretty rubbish. There's haloing in areas of hard contrast, where dark meets sky - normally the sign of a bad scan. Can see it mostly around the post

11 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

Even disregarding the crap on the scan, they're pretty rubbish. There's haloing in areas of hard contrast, where dark meets sky - normally the sign of a bad scan. Can see it mostly around the post

I think I might have caused some of the haloing - or at least made it more noticeable - by fiddling with the contrast. It’s definitely there though in the original scan file but not quite as noticeable.

The original scans are quite muddy and have no black at all; even where they were cropped badly with (crooked) edges of the negative, these aren’t black either, just dark grey. Adding contrast just seemed to bring out the haloing. I’m assuming caused by the auto unsharp mask of the scanner.

Have you tried talking to Mr Cad about your scans and negs ? 

I'd say don't use them again, but I always like to give someone a chance to correct their cock ups.

15 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

Have you tried talking to Mr Cad about your scans and negs ? 

I'd say don't use them again, but I always like to give someone a chance to correct their cock ups.

I haven’t. I don’t know if it’s worth the effort as the photos aren’t anything special. I just wanted to see if the camera still worked.

I would imagine for most people the scans would be “fine” - friends and family who have seen them can’t even notice anything wrong with them. So I don’t know if it’s me just being fussy.

I am thinking of trying here the next time I get film developed and scanned: http://apertureuk.com/

I’ve no idea if they’re any good or not though.

The first, and only other, time I tried medium format was with a shitty Holga just over 10 years ago. I had the photos printed and they actually were done really well; it’s just a shame they were taken on a toy camera. This was at a proper old photographer’s shop, since closed down, and they were printed properly through an enlarger rather than just scanned and printed as seems to be the norm now. 

FilmDev are pretty good for colour dev & scan and are much cheaper than most other labs, although B&W processing is more expensive (unless you use a C41 process B&W film like Ilford XP2). I normally use Peak Imaging for B&W though and scan them myself at home.

This is a medium-size scan from a roll I got back from Filmdev today. Shot on Kodak Ektar with my Yashica Mat. I've cropped it a little and done some tweaking in Lightroom, but that's all. And I've just realised that I'm reflected in the glass! :)

47740020991_887811cb87_b.jpg

FILM - Grosvenor House by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

FilmDev are pretty good for colour dev & scan and are much cheaper than most other labs, although B&W processing is more expensive (unless you use a C41 process B&W film like Ilford XP2). I normally use Peak Imaging for B&W though and scan them myself at home.

This is a medium-size scan from a roll I got back from Filmdev today. Shot on Kodak Ektar with my Yashica Mat. I've cropped it a little and done some tweaking in Lightroom, but that's all. And I've just realised that I'm reflected in the glass! :)

47740020991_887811cb87_b.jpg

FILM - Grosvenor House by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I like the pink/yellow combination in that.

What scanner do you have? If they're relatively cheap I might get one!

7 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I like the pink/yellow combination in that.

What scanner do you have? If they're relatively cheap I might get one!

I've got two now. I've got an Epson V550 flatbed that I bought originally for 35mm and medium format. It does medium format realy well. 35mm is good, but not as good as I wanted, so I sold some stuf on eBay and bought a Plustek 8100. It only does 35mm though.

This is a medium format scan done on the Epson:

25821094037_59121da76a_b.jpg

FILM - Chesterfield Market Hall by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I've got two now. I've got an Epson V550 flatbed that I bought originally for 35mm and medium format. It does medium format realy well. 35mm is good, but not as good as I wanted, so I sold some stuf on eBay and bought a Plustek 8100. It only does 35mm though.

This is a medium format scan done on the Epson:

25821094037_59121da76a_b.jpg

FILM - Chesterfield Market Hall by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

The Epson looks just about reasonable. I’m really tempted. I’d have to justify it by taking lots of photos though!

56480398_416342282525615_550798387203296

Dean Street, Soho. 

56337578_347600315865687_597165028576610

Told you I like the Bakerloo line. 

57052426_604708003328649_733643412945748

Salvation Army on Good Friday in Birmingham (1)

56614189_2309322296060354_60308204234128

Salvation Army on Good Friday in Birmingham (2). 

Really had to kill the highlights on this, it was at something ridiculous like 1/10000 (that's then thousandth) and his face was still almost white.  Turns out that a freshly polished tuba on a sunny day might as well be a mirror. 

57511889_444254452785745_266990841715054

Tight crop because the background was so busy, but I like the mood. Wish I'd managed to get a cleaner shot. 

58410555_118129379379280_909620183208629 57306175_448985622504709_329760258761938

Couldn't decide between colour or black and white. I think I just about give colour the edge because of the uniformity of the blue. 

58423776_123933852124589_453094658696269

Face in the crowd in Chinatown. 

• Upvote 3

I got a scanner. Here's a shop scan again of a not-straight Hammersmith Bridge (slightly edited for contrast):

Hammersmith Bridge

And here's my scan of the same negative (edited as I scanned without any processing from the scanner):

Hammersmith Bridge

The scanner slightly cropped the image but there is much more detail, less crap floating around and less haloing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

I got a scanner. Here's a shop scan again of a not-straight Hammersmith Bridge (slightly edited for contrast):

Hammersmith Bridge

And here's my scan of the same negative (edited as I scanned without any processing from the scanner):

Hammersmith Bridge

The scanner slightly cropped the image but there is much more detail, less crap floating around and less haloing.

Which scanner did you go for? If it's an Epson, you can change the cropping to suit your needs.

1 hour ago, FishyFish said:

Which scanner did you go for? If it's an Epson, you can change the cropping to suit your needs.

Epson 550 - it looked to be the best option for the price. 

From a walk in the Peak District yesterday. I'd been hoping for stormy skies and low-hanging clouds obscuring the hilltops, but all I got was flat grey stratus and pretty much constant rain. I took a few medium format film shots, and had been planning to do some digital landscape stuff too, but only got a handful of, mostly disappointing, photos. I quite like this one though. I think the raindrops make the image.

46981394314_88b7d370b4_b.jpg

Down by the riverside by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 5

Went out to Richmond really early this morning with the Rolleiflex and DSLR. Only DSLR pics for now (it's usually ages before I can get film developed). I wanted to get some pictures of the deer but they kept scarpering every time I got close.

View from Chiswick Bridge

Early Morning Sun in Richmond Park

Early Morning Sun in Richmond Park 2

Blurred Flowers

Stuff

• Upvote 4

Rolleiflex pics. On Ilford FP4 and Velvia 50:

In the RiverThe Robin Cafe

The Robin Cafe

Fetching Water

The focus on the Rolleiflex is somehow out of alignment (between the photo and viewing lens). This one was a test. I'd focused on the glass and set the timer. It focuses slightly further back than whatever the viewing lens is set at making focusing mostly guesswork.

Sunrise from Kew Bridge

Morning in Richmond Park

Same view 10 seconds later with the 5D3:

Morning Sun

I've realised Velvia 50 is incredibly unforgiving with the exposure. Next time I'll slightly over expose with every shot.

Through the Trees

• Upvote 2

I've started playing with an old Helios 135mm f2.8 mounted on my Fuji X-E3 (so 1.4*135=189mm). Learning the manual focus, not worrying too much about sharpness, and swirly bokeh from old lens construction is fun.

46927349855_73be5b248a_c.jpg

40876844933_51444b65e8_c.jpg

• Upvote 4