rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

18 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

@Scratchy Bollock my inner tube nerd tells me that train photo was taken at Elephant and Castle.  It's the only Bakerloo line station with a shopping centre above it afaik.  Lovely photo btw.  :wub:

Wow, are you Rain Man?! That's genuinely impressive! :lol:

It is indeed! I got very lucky and got on at a rare moment of total quiet!

I'm a total railway/tube nerd (in my defence I have a professional interest) and as a passenger I travel on the Bakerloo line more than any other. I just happened to be at Elephant and Castle recently when I was looking for the shop Dexys Midnight Runners performed the video to Come on Eileen in front of.  It's literally around the corner from the tube station fwiw. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I'm a total railway/tube nerd (in my defence I have a professional interest) and as a passenger I travel on the Bakerloo line more than any other. I just happened to be at Elephant and Castle recently when I was looking for the shop Dexys Midnight Runners performed the video to Come on Eileen in front of.  It's literally around the corner from the tube station fwiw. 

That's amazing, I've lived in Elephant and Castle for fourteen years and my job is directing music videos and I had no idea! I'm going to have to go and take a look, big thanks for the heads up!

It's on the corner of Brook Drive and Hayles Street.  Maybe a quarter of a mile from the station if you head towards The Imperial War Museum/Lambeth Walk.  

The shop is still open. 

About the same distance again up Brook Drove is this place, though this shop has since closed. 

• Upvote 1

zFpmcVZ.jpg

Bringing this back to photography, I had an hour at Marble Arch earlier during the Extinction Rebellion protests. Lots of interesting characters about, I'm just struggling with how to crop images.  What would you do with this guy?  Original RAW file is 6000x4000 so there is plenty of scope to get in really tight. 

5RCr9pV.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TommyG said:

47643448791_db7269a085_c.jpgDSC08872.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

47565948981_88160c55a7_c.jpgDSC07168.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

46650480515_38876b7ece_c.jpgDSC07519.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

47532720042_d3e4c26a0c_c.jpgDSC07733.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

46905325144_0726a9b5e8_c.jpgDSC08842.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

46727731975_4f1d350b35_c.jpgDSC08935.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

47643449471_a40c01c2bb_c.jpgDSC08924.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

These are exceptional TommyG, you have a great eye for a striking image. 

15 hours ago, JimmytheMook said:

These are exceptional TommyG, you have a great eye for a striking image. 

Thank you Jimmy :wub:

On 19/04/2019 at 15:10, Scratchy Bollock said:

I'm noticing a kind of finger print blemish on some of the images. Anyone know what this might be and how to prevent it?

It'll be a process of elimination. Check the neg first on a light table under a loupe - if the mark is there does it come off with cleaning ? If yes, then greasy fingers touching he neg. If not, check the lens on your camera and clean it. 

If the mark isn't on your neg, then it's being added in scanning. If you're doing the scanning give the glass a clean and re-scan.

• Upvote 1

On 19/04/2019 at 15:10, Scratchy Bollock said:

I'm noticing a kind of finger print blemish on some of the images. Anyone know what this might be and how to prevent it? I'm using cotton gloves to handle the film so I'm pretty sure it's not coming from me but it could be from the guys developing the film I guess. You can see it quite clearly in this image, just in front of the man's mouth. It's a kind of warping effect:

Serious news

Do you mean the marks under the man's nose in this image? Like a rainbow / oil-spill type pattern?

Those are Newton's Rings. They're caused when the negative touches the glass of the scanner. If you're using an Epson scanner, you'll probably have a thin plastic insert that goes with the 120 film holder. You can use that to keep the negs flat so they don't touch the glass. It does the job but is a bit of a faff though, and means you can't scan as many frames at once.

• Upvote 2

Some photos from the Rolleiflex. The scans came back with lots of dust specks and (maybe) scratches. Is this just unavoidable? One of the scans was also a corrupted file of just digital noise. I don't know if I can be bothered to go back as the photos aren't that interesting in any case.

I didn't take this first one; it was on the old film (a 400 ISO Fuji, I think) that had been left in the camera.

Fields

I used up the rest of the expired film but the colours were a bit odd.

Sea Cadets

Here are some shots on Ilford FP4 125 ISO. The scans were mostly cropped crooked and off-centre so I had to trim some of them and recontrasted a few that came back very grey. I don't know if that's cheating!

Low Tide

Putney Riverside

Putney

Hammersmith Bridge

Praise the Sun

London Apprentice

Boats

More Boats

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Some photos from the Rolleiflex. The scans came back with lots of dust specks and (maybe) scratches. Is this just unavoidable? One of the scans was also a corrupted file of just digital noise. I don't know if I can be bothered to go back as the photos aren't that interesting in any case.

Where did you get them processed and scanned? If they were done at a lab / shop, then you shouldn't expect to see any dust marks on the scan (dust will show up as small white specks / hairs) on the scan. The black marks would indicate something white on the negative - possibly damage / scratches where the emulsion has been completely removed.

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I used up the rest of the expired film but the colours were a bit odd.

Here are some shots on Ilford FP4 125 ISO. The scans were mostly cropped crooked and off-centre so I had to trim some of them and recontrasted a few that came back very grey. I don't know if that's cheating!

The colour shift on expired film are normal, because the dyes that make up the layers of the emulsion decay at different speeds. Sometimes epired film can be fine, but sometimes it can produce quite whacky colours. Some people like this.

There's nothing wrong with post-processing your photos - do whatever you want to get them looking how you like them best. It's what would have been done in a darkroom originally, so doing it in Photoshop or whatever is equally fine.

The photos are nice though - I particularly like the one with the avenue of trees. That lens is nice and sharp.

43 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Where did you get them processed and scanned? If they were done at a lab / shop, then you shouldn't expect to see any dust marks on the scan (dust will show up as small white specks / hairs) on the scan. The black marks would indicate something white on the negative - possibly damage / scratches where the emulsion has been completely removed.

The colour shift on expired film are normal, because the dyes that make up the layers of the emulsion decay at different speeds. Sometimes epired film can be fine, but sometimes it can produce quite whacky colours. Some people like this.

There's nothing wrong with post-processing your photos - do whatever you want to get them looking how you like them best. It's what would have been done in a darkroom originally, so doing it in Photoshop or whatever is equally fine.

The photos are nice though - I particularly like the one with the avenue of trees. That lens is nice and sharp.

43 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I got them processed and scanned at Mr Cad in Victoria- someone here recommended them. I think they did an OK job to be fair but the dust is annoying. The black bits in the sky in some of the photos are odd. It would make sense that they are scratches but they look fibrous like tiny hairs or something. IMG_3133.thumb.PNG.23f1c5b0a57f2a4fb078ac0e56a6dc7d.PNG 

Actually, looking at them again - some of the shots look to have the same white marks in the same place on each negative (there's a number 9 shaped mark on several of them). That probably isn't dust in that case as the dust particles would be different on each negative. I also agree that scratches on the emulsion would be unlikely to look like tiny hairs. It's a curious one.

If you're interested to find out the cause, try posting the images on the Talk Photography forum in the Film & Conventional section. Someone there might be able to throw some light on it.

19 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I try to recreate this photo every time I take the boy to the arcade: 

DSCF7666.jpg

Kinda like this one. Mario Kart Arcade remains awesome btw. 

This is a stunning photograph! What camera was this taken on? And yeah, Mario Kart Arcade still holds up! 

• Upvote 1

I had a go at cleaning up one of the scans that came back covered in dust and scratches from the lab. I chose this (out of focus!) one just because it had the most shit on it and looked as if it would be pretty easy to sort out:

IMG_3132.thumb.JPG.6b715c1913f41899b2a41a5724f2ff27.JPG

It actually took a lot longer than I thought it would because the spot healing tool was removing fine grain and content aware fill was leaving visible edges. I'm not great with Photoshop - I've never really understood how to use the clone tool - so I resorted to manually selecting, feathering and cutting each speck, before moving another identical layer underneath to a point where it didn't notice.  The white bits are definitely dust on the scanner; I think the black bits are where sediment settled on the emulsion when it was wet (being developed) and pulled it off.

Praise the Sun

• Upvote 1

What surprised me most was that for a 60-year old camera (I think it's a model from between 58 and 62) it still seems fine. Even the light meter seems pretty accurate. It's a lot more enjoyable to use than my DSLR.