rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

45457806611_864b613083_h.jpg

I love London. by Nayson, on Flickr

I've said before on here that while I tend to carry a camera with me most of the time I don't really go out with a goal in mind.  Had a couple of nice experiences over the past couple of days though, I was in the gardens at Aston Uni in Birmingham yesterday and some student approached me and asked if he could see my photos and we got chatting about stuff. only for ten minutes or so but it was really satisfying.  Same happened again today as some Kuwaiti woman saw me watching the sun go down over Little Venice in London. It's something which happens so rarely to me that I feel like I got a real confidence boost out of it.    Kinda like how this photo turned out too.  Didn't do too much in post, though I've made it look a bit warmer than it seemed to be to the human eye. Hope it doesn't look like I went overboard.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Ste_S said:

@Scratchy Bollock If I'm being picky I'm not so much a fan of the lanterns photo, but then that's only because all the others are so good. 1, 2 & 4 in particular are outstanding

Thanks Ste, glad you like them! Yeah the lantern pic is pretty bog standard to be fair. Might crop into it a bit to bring out the guy in the red near the bottom middle.

I impulse bought a Fuji XF 35mm f2 (50mm equivalent) prime lens in an airport the other day. I've never really been "in to" photography but playing around with it on holiday was a lot of fun. I wouldn't say any of the photos I took were great, which is to be expected, but I enjoyed working within the limitations of having no zoom - instead moving around and not being precious about "missing" shots. In fact, I now have some 90mm (135mm equivalent) lenses on eBay watch. :rolleyes:

Camera body is a second hand X-T20.

This was the first shot through the lens, off the hotel room balcony upon arrival:

DSCF9260.thumb.jpg.a6eb2fc82c809ac0c3b87dbdb2332518.jpg

"Let's see what it's like wide open" (f2) - a much shorter depth of field to what I'm used to, not getting everything I want into focus:

DSCF9263.thumb.JPG.af85a7a2bf06013f1647e7b3d0252b8a.JPG

I like cats:

DSCF9386.thumb.jpg.dc492953832e32d4a59d6bad95fa444e.jpg

What I saw a lot of cats hunting:

DSCF9443.thumb.jpg.443a5712af47055c5e58541aa63b16b9.jpg

Had the focus point in the wrong place but let's go with the result:

DSCF0187.thumb.jpg.40ecfb57e41dc401f6cfb84ddd3a5ba8.jpg

A tree and some pretty bokeh:

DSCF0545.thumb.jpg.7392a1545392ee76213ef35c4e083d8a.jpg

Looking back at all the photos I took I think I'm messing up the f-stop a lot and getting too short of a depth of field. Also blown out highlights - maybe the shutter and ISO couldn't quite compensate for the wide open aperture?

• Upvote 1

I've got that camera and lens, it's a great combo. Wide open is going to give a (relatively) small depth of field though, step down accordingly and you can get sharpness from the front to the back of the frame. As for highlights, are you exposing for them or the shadows? It's really easy to mess with the shutter speed on Fuji cameras so have you not just altered that until the photo is as exposed as you want? Are you shooting RAW or jpeg? You can do a degree of post in camera with either. 

GB7dZEo.jpg

This is with the XT20 and 35mm f2. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Naysonymous, I was just using JPEGs while I got to grips with it although the camera is now set to JPEG fine + raw compressed. Not doing any post outside of crops and resizing for web yet. I've recently learnt about "protecting highlights"/"exposing right" so will be playing with that next, as I haven't even had the shutter control off auto!

Looking again I got the f-stop right more often when the images had people in (that I won't be posting here as I don't know how they'd feel about it). I guess I was more concious of getting them entirely in focus compared to doing is with objects. Sometimes it kinda worked though.

DSCF9989.thumb.jpg.734f5fd447fe43b089a2e5a2c2baffd8.jpg

51 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Amazing stuff, I'm assuming you used a tripod for these pics going by the slow shutter speed you used? I've just recently begun some amateur photography and did some sunset photos the other day but the sun looks like a nuke going off :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

Amazing stuff, I'm assuming you used a tripod for these pics going by the slow shutter speed you used? I've just recently begun some amateur photography and did some sunset photos the other day but the sun looks like a nuke going off :facepalm:

Yeah, I used a tripod to keep the camera still, and ND grad filters to darken the sky while keeping the foreground correctly exposed.

I don’t do a lot of landscape stuff myself, so I’m quite pleased with how these turned out. :)

Some autumny things from Friday's trip to the Peak District. All taken around the pond and woods just down from Longshaw Hall (except the penultimate one, which is in the Burbage valley near Higger Tor, and the final photo, which is from the nearby Padley Gorge).

45717960061_2ac91dfbb6_h.jpg

The pond at Longshaw by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

43900361350_ca37eca7aa_h.jpg

The pond at Longshaw-2 by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

31831975208_2691b47d27_h.jpg

Waterside autumn by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

45684426411_c8a83ab7ab_h.jpg

Autum reflected by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

44790061515_2e044d262c_h.jpg

In the woods by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

31811615018_571c59c8c6_h.jpg

Pines by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

45704624131_0971ec3251_h.jpg

Islands in the stream by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

I got back from Cornwall at about 3:30pm and saw the forecast and thought I'd go to Bamburgh Castle first... I've always wanted to go there, but its quite far from the Lakes so I thought it would be better to drive straight there then head over..I ended up leaving home at Midnight and driving for 6 1/2 hours... I really love the clouds in this and its a huuuuge panorama (8-9 stiched shots)

Bamburgh Sunrise

I think this is absolutely stunning . :wub: 

Cheers man... I got there about 90 mins before sunrise so managed to grab 60 mins kip in the car... I was initially dissapointed as there was a band of cloud on the horizon , so no direct sunlight, but the clouds looked really weird as they were so low.. I tempted t head back when I go back to the lakes in March..

Sorry I’m not posting a photo but rather wondering if those of you who use Flickr will be continuing to do so with the paid subscription that’s forced upon users who want to keep over 1000 photos on their site? 

4 hours ago, TommyG said:

Sorry I’m not posting a photo but rather wondering if those of you who use Flickr will be continuing to do so with the paid subscription that’s forced upon users who want to keep over 1000 photos on their site? 

I was going to give it another year,  see how it sorts itself out. 

But realistically, i'm so invested in the Flickr platform, i may as well carry on. It's only £35 so  i can sort of justify it for now.

Is there another platform like flickr but free ? 

6 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

All different. the info is on flickr.

What lens's have you got?

For andscape I tend to use my 24-70 and 70-200, the 16-35 gets used as well somtimes

APS-C equivalents of 28-85mm kit and 53mm prime, but I'd like to move towards nice light and pin-sharp primes. Likely a 16mm (24mm equiv), my 35mm (53mm) and then three choices; an 85mm equiv, 135mm equiv or save up for the 50-140mm (75-215mm equiv.), although it's a bit massive for my camera body.

Edit: I should note my subjects - cars & car shows, a little motorsport, street stuff, occasional holidays.

On 06/11/2018 at 12:45, Sidewaysbob said:

I was going to give it another year,  see how it sorts itself out. 

But realistically, i'm so invested in the Flickr platform, i may as well carry on. It's only £35 so  i can sort of justify it for now.

Is there another platform like flickr but free ? 

Same here I’ve just paid the £35. I’ve over 2000 photos on there so kind of stuck with it. I don’t know of any other platform. 

Yeah, I'll be paying for it too. I have over 4000 photos on there. I don't use if for storage per-se, but as a way to display my photos online. I've not found any other platform that I prefer. I use Instagram but it degrades the picture quality far too much to be my sole choice.

Given that I've used the service for over ten years without paying a penny, I can't really complain, plus for many users I'm sure that 1k photos will be more than they ever need space for so they'll not notice any difference.

Few more from me:

43695420_1884247241610381_34886031391501

No subject in this photo but I like the message.  They repaint this wall a lot (it's part of an art gallery just off of Edgware Road) and this is the current version. 

42642469_1870155316438605_58695419483221

Architecture is definitely one of my favourite things to photograph.  I kinda liked how things stacked up here, the warehouse roofs of Digbeth, the railway viaduct, the Selfridges building and the Routunda.  Very Birmingham. 

43778966_557012558073184_681037971012062

Autumn leaves in Wembley.  I was dicking about with an ND filter I hardly ever use (hence the light trails) and it seemed to add something to the light. 

43984970_320972305357415_487398968329741

Candid shot, bit of camera shake, but I liked it. 

43914613_885037258372657_755118705346365

More from the streets of Marylebone.  Liked this guys look, really wish the black cab hadn't been obscured by a signpost. 

44738825_286805521940303_537824164199224

A swan in the park not far from my house. I cropped the back half away because I wanted the focus to be on it's neck rather than it's arse.  

Also while we are here,  I think I might get time to photograph the sunset in London this week and I'm toying with the idea of going to the Thames Barrier. I've never been to the barrier before (I've never been east of Charlton to the best of my knowledge) but I figure being on the south bank would make for a better shot, right?  

• Upvote 5

Made it down to the Barrier.  It's about 15-20 minutes walk from Charlton Station, not far from The Valley actually.  I didn't realise just how barren the approaches to the barrier are on the south side, the Thames Path is lovely but it's stuck behind a really grotty industrial estate which I'm guessing was there for years before the barrier was built and probably more fitting with how the docklands were in their heyday.   That said, it's worth the trek: 

44970541985_5084dd5a00_h.jpg

Thames Barrier (south bank) by Nayson, on Flickr

Looking online it seems the sun sets behind the towers at Canary Wharf in April and September, this time of year sunset is further south but that does mean the light hits the side of the barrier you see from the south bank.  I'm glad I went down there. 

• Upvote 3