rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

2 hours ago, Ste_S said:

@Jamie John I wouldn't get hung up on trying to get the exposure right manually, let the tech do the work - it's what you're paying for in a modern camera after all. I'll use aperture priority if I want a specific depth of field, or shutter priority if I want to freeze or blur motion. Most of the time though I'll let the camera decide, including Auto ISO again unless I want a specific effect.

Absolutely, and it's the thing that gets lost amongst all the tech talk. Take photos of stuff that matters to you and get inspiration from other people (Instagram, Flickr, Books etc)

Thanks for this. Do you tend to use auto focus as well? I tried using the manual focus for the shots above.

It was a sunny day when I took the shots and I kept finding that they came out over-exposed when I used aperture priority, even at 100 ISO, so I had to up the shutter speed I'm manual mode to bring the light levels down sufficiently.

I'd say that it's a good exercise to go full manual to get a good feel for what the different settings do, but I also wouldn't let it get in the way of making sure that photography is still fun and that you come away with some interesting pictures :) Focus is probably one of the places where manual doesn't really make sense in most cases (unless you have a mirrorless with the various fancy focus-guide features). The only times when I do manual focus is either if my camera can't focus at all (pictures in very low light for instance) - or if I need to preset a specific focus because of a moving object where I'm not sure that the camera will be able to focus in time...

For sunny days, you can use the "sunny f/16" rule - at f/16, your shutterspeed should be 1 divided by the ISO setting. If your shutterspeed is 1/100, then ISO 100 will do. If shutterspeed is 1/400, then ISO 400 and so on - and then you can modify the rest from there.

Also, your Nikon should have an exposure guide in the bottom of the viewfinder that tells you whether the shot is going to be under- or overexposed.

As a last thing - for reference, I always almost also shot in Aperture priority, using Nikons nice focal-length dependent auto-ISO feature (don't think that made it into the D3100 though), where the shutterspeed gets faster the more you're zooming in (since camera shake has a bigger effect at high zoom levels).

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks for this. Do you tend to use auto focus as well? I tried using the manual focus for the shots above.

It was a sunny day when I took the shots and I kept finding that they came out over-exposed when I used aperture priority, even at 100 ISO, so I had to up the shutter speed I'm manual mode to bring the light levels down sufficiently.

Yup, absolutely auto focus the majority of the time.

With bright skies, and especially with shooting into the sun, you're not going to get an exposure that works for all of the photo. Either the ground is exposed to match the sky, or the sky is exposed to match the ground. Or the camera tries to go half way, and neither sky or ground is exposed correctly - which is what the majority of digital cameras tend to do.

If you do want to shoot manual, expose for the highlights (the sky on a sunny day) as these can blow out.

This is where shooting RAW and editing in something like Lightroom comes in. You can increase/decrease exposure and increase or decrease shadow and highlight detail.

Generally for a sunny day picture I'll drop highlights to get detail back into the top half of the photo, and either up the exposure slightly or bring up shadow detail to get the ground exposed correctly. In more extreme cases I'll do this selectively (dodge 'n' burn in film parlance) using a graduated filter in Lightroom.

• Upvote 1

Emley Moor mast....tallest structure in UK

_DSC1032

Big bonus points if you can guess where it was taken.  (Clue...trains stop at it).

• Upvote 3

So - I went ahead with an upgrade of my Nikon D7100 to a D750 two weeks ago - and finally got around to giving it a good spin at the Rheinfalls today :)

Apart from the obvious advantages of a full-frame sensor, compared to the D7100 it also seems to be a lot better at nailing the exposure (the D7100 had a tendency the blow the highlights), but the images thus also turn out a bit darker initially. Good thing that there's an insane amount of dynamic range available in the raw files :P Really looking forward to getting to know it better!

LR-Web-0404.jpg

The Rheinfalls in Full Frame

LR-Web-0412.jpg

LR-Web-0424.jpg

LR-Web-0470.jpg

• Upvote 6

Stunning shots @sonicwave

I took a trip to the seaside today but it was overcast and I couldn't find much worth photographing. I'm trying to be a bit more discriminate in the shots I take. I also find people more satisfying subject than still lifes or landscapes, unless you're somewhere interesting that's actually worth photographing.

Exmouth seafront

Edit: how do you get the link to your Flickr to appear beneath your photographs? Is it supposed to pop up automatically?

• Upvote 1

On 11/05/2018 at 22:01, sonicwave said:

So - I went ahead with an upgrade of my Nikon D7100 to a D750 two weeks ago - and finally got around to giving it a good spin at the Rheinfalls today :)

Apart from the obvious advantages of a full-frame sensor, compared to the D7100 it also seems to be a lot better at nailing the exposure (the D7100 had a tendency the blow the highlights), but the images thus also turn out a bit darker initially. Good thing that there's an insane amount of dynamic range available in the raw files :P Really looking forward to getting to know it better!

LR-Web-0404.jpg

LR-Web-0412.jpg

LR-Web-0424.jpg

LR-Web-0470.jpg

I made the same upgrade. Great camera.

On 11/05/2018 at 15:33, Dimahoo said:

Emley Moor mast....tallest structure in UK

_DSC1032

Big bonus points if you can guess where it was taken.  (Clue...trains stop at it).

I like this photo a lot.... but it needs a more dramatic edit (at least for my tastes). It's kind of flat in it's current state.

Also really like @Jamie John beach hut photo, nice use of colour

• Upvote 1

On 12/05/2018 at 22:34, Jamie John said:

I took a trip to the seaside today but it was overcast and I couldn't find much worth photographing. I'm trying to be a bit more discriminate in the shots I take. I also find people more satisfying subject than still lifes or landscapes, unless you're somewhere interesting that's actually worth photographing.

Exmouth seafront

Edit: how do you get the link to your Flickr to appear beneath your photographs? Is it supposed to pop up automatically?

Re: 'I couldn't find much worth photographing'

I think you did! Personally I think this is fantastic you've captured an amazing image. The composition, the subject, the setting... It's a little slice of life perfectly captured - tells a story. 

Good job!

( looking at your camera settings I'd suggest watching your shutter speed. 1/80th and F18.

You could of shot it at F8  - 125 or 250th and got a really sharp image.

On 12/05/2018 at 22:34, Jamie John said:

I'm trying to be a bit more discriminate in the shots I take.

With digital I wouldn't bother to be honest. Experiment, take anything that catches your eye, and then go through them later deleting if rubbish. 

3 hours ago, Totoro said:

Re: 'I couldn't find much worth photographing'

I think you did! Personally I think this is fantastic you've captured an amazing image. The composition, the subject, the setting... It's a little slice of life perfectly captured - tells a story. 

Good job!

( looking at your camera settings I'd suggest watching your shutter speed. 1/80th and F18.

You could of shot it at F8  - 125 or 250th and got a really sharp image.

Thanks! I'm still figuring out exposure. I thought I'd use a smaller aperture as I didn't want to run the risk of it being overexposed, but if anything it's too dark. How would using a wider aperture make it sharper? I thought doing that limited the depth of field?

1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

With digital I wouldn't bother to be honest. Experiment, take anything that catches your eye, and then go through them later deleting if rubbish. 

Yep. I spent about 2 hours doing this in Saturday. Took about fifty pictures but kept 3!

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

How would using a wider aperture make it sharper? I thought doing that limited the depth of field?

Would allow you to shoot with a faster shutter speed, minimising camera shake and/or a lower ISO improving IQ.

I'd still echo my recommendation from up the thread - shoot on auto, or if you must, aperture priority. With modern cameras there's no need to shoot in manual unless you're doing something specific

13 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

Would allow you to shoot with a faster shutter speed, minimising camera shake and/or a lower ISO improving IQ.

I'd still echo my recommendation from up the thread - shoot on auto, or if you must, aperture priority. With modern cameras there's no need to shoot in manual unless you're doing something specific

Cheers. That one was taken on aperture priority. I have the ISO set to 100 by default, but with the auto iso setting on as well, so the camera increases it if it feels the need (which apparently it did here, to 220). I've reverted back to auto focus as well, but in this picture the focus points are actually on the blue doors, I guess because that's the lightest part of the image, so I needed to set the focus point manually.

I went for a walk in the woods on Monday evening. Took 55 pictures in total. All of them overexposed and shit, apart from this one, which I think is OK:

Leaves in spring

I've since bought Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and plan to study it diligently.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I went for a walk in the woods on Monday evening. Took 55 pictures in total. All of them overexposed and shit, apart from this one, which I think is OK:

Leaves in spring

I've since bought Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and plan to study it diligently.

Shooting in woodland on sunny days is really tricky to expose for. You get a dark, shady environment punctuated by very bright shafts of light. It looks lovely through your eyes but tends to look awful in photos as you either get blown highlights or murky shadows. Woodlands are best in overcast conditions (or, best of all, mist and fog) IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

All of them overexposed and shit

As I tried to imply a few posts up, you're never going to get perfect exposure straight out the camera unless you're shooting in very flat light. 

Photography has always been a two step process - taking the photo, then the darkroom/lightroom.

Take this photo. It's a bright sky, with the sun rising. The camera can either expose for the sky, the ground, or somewhere in-between - which is what the camera has done.

In the first photo, the RAW straight from the camera the sky is over exposed and the ground is under exposed.

In the second photo I've dropped the highlights down to expose the sky correctly

In the third photo I've also raised the shadows to bring up detail on the under exposed ground

These quite crude edits (and you can be far more targeted and selective) help to balance the photo out

P5170201-4.jpg

P5170201-5.jpg

P5170201-6.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks both. I think the pictures, as well as being overexposed, were just dull anyway, and the ones that weren't were overblown to the point where they would have taken hours to fiddle with. I'd have posted some of them in here of I hadn't already deleted them. I'd left the ISO on auto as well for most of them, without realising, so there were quite a few artifacts on some of them where the camera had taken the ISO up to about 6000 or something stupid.

Re. Editing shots in a computer program after taking them, I've read that, as much as possible, it's best to get the image correct 'in camera' first by taking reference shots, checking the histogram and so on, to save editing time. Would you guys agree or do you just take shots and then fiddle later?

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Re. Editing shots in a computer program after taking them, I've read that, as much as possible, it's best to get the image correct 'in camera' first by taking reference shots, checking the histogram and so on, to save editing time. Would you guys agree or do you just take shots and then fiddle later?

Would not agree, seems kinda pointless when modern matrix metering and the flexibility of RAW files is pretty good. As previously said, in anything other than flat light exposure in a camera is a compromise and you're never going to get it 'right'.

And heck, 'right' is subjective. Some of my favourite photos are heavily contrasted with blown highlights and black blacks

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but to be blunt it seems as though you're getting it from old boys who were anal about their settings in the film days. Even back then they where mostly talking rubbish. Heck, when I'm shooting with a fully manual medium format film camera I'll meter for the shadows once and then shoot away.

I’m taking a little breather from digital and I’ve switched over to a Minolta XD-7 to shoot film. It’s a lot of fun (pricey though!) but I’m enjoying the results. Still got a long way to go!

71E9AEB9-B967-4A2B-BE0F-46D4A0DCAFF5.jpeg

DC620F39-0657-4401-A5E8-4512F63FA137.jpeg

0FCD078C-818F-408E-8EFC-12A714756F26.jpeg

DCF57119-6622-46E2-8AFA-88AD70985D0F.jpeg

351584B2-6C54-49FF-9F2B-5DE201AEC760.jpeg

B077A174-E6A6-492B-81E0-C5B772043A52.jpeg

• Upvote 6

On 13/05/2018 at 22:04, Ste_S said:

I like this photo a lot.... but it needs a more dramatic edit (at least for my tastes). It's kind of flat in it's current state.

Also really like @Jamie John beach hut photo, nice use of colour

Did a little more....a touch overdone of the blacks of the trees maybe...

_DSC1032-Edit

• Upvote 3

Well done @Dimahoo for managing to catch a lightning strike. Did you set up a long exposure for it or just manage to snap it at exactly the right moment?

I haven't been anywhere particularly remarkable recently to take any interesting shots, so I've been focusing on lines and colour instead. I think these are aesthetically pleasing, but the subject matter is a bit dull. I'm off to Snowdonia next week, however, so I'm hoping to get a few nice landscapes.

Harpford Woods

Harpford Woods

Silver leaf

Rachel's garden

Long exposures. One of those couldn't miss nights but didn't have a tripod and was in an awful location owing to work.

14 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

_DSC1163

Love that, great pic.  What camera/lens/settings did you use.  Did you have to add any processing or is this ‘as taken’?  (Sorry to bombard with questions)

D750 with Tamron 15-30 at 22mm @ F/9. 4.7 second manual exposure.

I tend to shoot long exposures for night time storms as lightning can move around for over a second....

What's your hit rate with lightning? I'm guessing you can take dozens of shots before getting anything usable?  I slept through the storm so I didn't get a chance to attempt anything. 

Been about in the daytime quite a bit though.  These are just things I've posted on Instagram in the past couple of weeks: 

32095357_173361330049277_468103437715977

31310670_2055234961408920_52263313106198

32255812_1796198800402998_55046089805314

Bought the 55-200 telephoto lens for my XT20, kinda dig it.  I can get up on top of some viaducts in Birmingham which give some unusual views of the city centre (ie familiar buildings from unfamiliar angles) and it's made for some interesting shots. 

I love how it really compresses the space between objects too, looking down Livery Street in the City Centre (which weirdly was used as a location in the Ready Player One movie) it's really pronounced, it's a long straight street which is almost a valley between two hills so you can really see quite a lot going on with little effort and when it gets squished it looks super busy: 

31490904_1951074355223206_69275751923696

i think this was about 7:30pm, looking away from the city centre towards the Jewellery Quarter. 

32121701_412250645915412_296028862946685

a couple of days later at the lowest point looking back uphill towards the city. I was sitting on base of that red flag when I took the first shot. 

32769676_191858984771305_654296587464972

new moon sighted over Birmingham city centre.

Took it to London too, this is Chiltern Street in Marylebone looking much shorter than it really is:

31758462_1735610403184531_84542996665262

32145637_1286363881495742_80746103412180

And Wembley Way, looking from the stadium back towards Wembley Park station. 

32103806_1852814571404260_79031495344552

Think I was at about 100mm here, dunno what kind of motorcycle that is but I liked it.  Like the focal length too, seems pretty sweet for capturing vehicles. 

31775366_172356966740313_354154400408666

The cool looking multi storey car park behind Oxford Street's Debenhams. 

I also picked up a Nikon manual focus prime from eBay (100mm f2.8). Having quite a bit of fun with that too. Noticed some chromatic aberration on it at times but it was as cheap as chips and on the whole I'm really glad I got it. Probably gonna get some more Nikon lenses at some point, just a case of looking out for bargains isn't it? 

32001692_618721695174944_343392753828652

33419854_389656424885458_491553613836766