rllmuk
Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

20 hours ago, geekette said:

I remember someone on here about a year ago, maybe more, who had a website where you could buy prints of their photographs (which were mainly landscapes, perhaps in Ireland) and they went by the name of something brothers photography. Anyone know who I'm talking about, so I can show their website to someone?

It was PeteJ (see post a bit further up the page) I think. It was Johns Brothers Photography, although it now just seems to go to Pete's page.

Assuming that's what you were thinking of, of course. :)

40 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

It was PeteJ (see post a bit further up the page) I think. It was Johns Brothers Photography, although it now just seems to go to Pete's page.

Assuming that's what you were thinking of, of course. :)

Thanks. It looks like it might have been but no longer exists. Was that a site where you could just order prints of each photo with a sort of easy built in e-commerce aspect? I was just wanting a template with sales built in.

22 hours ago, geekette said:

Thanks. It looks like it might have been but no longer exists. Was that a site where you could just order prints of each photo with a sort of easy built in e-commerce aspect? I was just wanting a template with sales built in.

Hi! Yes that was my site, unfortunately my brother pulled out so I had to start again a few months the ago on my own. 

New site is http://PeteJohns.photography or http://petejohns.co.uk

The new site is based on the same template but I've not launched the shop yet. 

I use smugmug for the design and shop, it's all easy to use and free to try out. 

45 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Hi! Yes that was my site, unfortunately my brother pulled out so I had to start again a few months the ago on my own. 

New site is http://PeteJohns.photography or http://petejohns.co.uk

The new site is based on the same template but I've not launched the shop yet. 

I use smugmug for the design and shop, it's all easy to use and free to try out. 

Even though I was only thinking of it in terms of really functional e-commerce in the template, I love your photographs, Pete. So much so that if we ever get our outbuilding converted to a holiday cottage I'll trade you a free stay for some photographs of the cottage, site and surrounding area that we can use on the website (as you don't seem to have photographed the peak district yet, which is only a couple of miles from here).

1 hour ago, geekette said:

Even though I was only thinking of it in terms of really functional e-commerce in the template, I love your photographs, Pete. So much so that if we ever get our outbuilding converted to a holiday cottage I'll trade you a free stay for some photographs of the cottage, site and surrounding area that we can use on the website (as you don't seem to have photographed the peak district yet, which is only a couple of miles from here).

Nice one, get in touch if you ever need photos in the peak District and have a place to stay! Of course I'd be interested  Thanks for the comments :)

I'd like to start selling images on my site, thinking of offering just the download of the image rather than prints. What would you say is a reasonable price?

I've currently set it at £20 for an image but not sure if that is totally unreasonable. Logic is that then people can go to anywhere they want to get the print done, either cheaply or professionally plus it's a lot simpler than offering various sizes and frames etc.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:06, PeteJ said:

I'd like to start selling images on my site, thinking of offering just the download of the image rather than prints. What would you say is a reasonable price?

I've currently set it at £20 for an image but not sure if that is totally unreasonable. Logic is that then people can go to anywhere they want to get the print done, either cheaply or professionally plus it's a lot simpler than offering various sizes and frames etc.

I've sold a few pictures through Photos4me and get £25 commission for each shot. They do all the framing and delivery stuff.

So £20 for a hi rez digital file sounds about right to me.

I picked up an old Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524-16 folding camera recently and shot a roll of film through it. At first I was a little disappointed as the shots at wider apertures were all a little soft, but then, when I got to the frames where the light had improved and I'd dropped down to f/11 - f/16, it really came into it's own.

37159858563_ebf6c6cd5b_z.jpg

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16 by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

37831276566_d313e6c24e_b.jpg

FILM - Paradise Square by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I don't think that's too bad for a 60+ year-old camera that I had to repair the bellows on and re-align the rangefinder. :)

• Upvote 3

I love seeing all the old ZEISS stuff.

We have a small museum in our Birmingham office with a bunch of old cameras in it, the camera stuff they were doing almost 100 years ago was super impressive for it's time.

7 hours ago, Ste_S said:

@Totoro Love the look of your photos, are you doing much to them in post ?

Thanks.

Fair bit I guess. Only takes moments though.

After import

Apply VSCO Ektar preset ( edited )

Adjust white balance ( on night shots add a bit of blue tint )

Adjust hilights

Adjust shadows

Transform > auto to fix and distortions

Shots with sky I use a grad with -50ish exposure

-20ish dehaze

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Totoro said:

Thanks.

Fair bit I guess. Only takes moments though.

After import

Apply VSCO Ektar preset ( edited )

Adjust white balance ( on night shots add a bit of blue tint )

Adjust hilights

Adjust shadows

Transform > auto to fix and distortions

Shots with sky I use a grad with -50ish exposure

-20ish dehaze

Thanks. Do you use VSCO mobile with a sub ? Have been meaning to try it for a little while.

Used to just use desktop Lightroom, but now find mobile editing via Snapseed easier/more fun

1 minute ago, Ste_S said:

Thanks. Do you use VSCO mobile with a sub ? Have been meaning to try it for a little while.

Used to just use desktop Lightroom, but now find mobile editing via Snapseed easier/more fun

I  use desktop versions.

I'd like to try mobile, but cannot use my desktop presets / camera calibration on the mobile version, which is a dealbreaker for me ( when I last checked, this may of changed now! )

@Tortoro I think Snapseed has auto camera calibration for a selection of camera models. 

When I open a RAW in Snapseed from my Canon 100D the colours look 'Canon' if that makes sense ?

On 10/24/2017 at 08:24, Totoro said:

I  use desktop versions.

I'd like to try mobile, but cannot use my desktop presets / camera calibration on the mobile version, which is a dealbreaker for me ( when I last checked, this may of changed now! )

You can sort of fake presets, but it's not great. You can copy and paste settings from one photo to another, so if you create a collection in LR desktop with a few pictures in, apply the presets to them and sync to LR mobile, you can copy/paste the settings from those pictures onto new ones. Don't think camera calibration works, though, if you have custom profiles.

On 24/10/2017 at 08:45, Ste_S said:

@Tortoro I think Snapseed has auto camera calibration for a selection of camera models. 

When I open a RAW in Snapseed from my Canon 100D the colours look 'Canon' if that makes sense ?

13 hours ago, JamesS said:

You can sort of fake presets, but it's not great. You can copy and paste settings from one photo to another, so if you create a collection in LR desktop with a few pictures in, apply the presets to them and sync to LR mobile, you can copy/paste the settings from those pictures onto new ones. Don't think camera calibration works, though, if you have custom profiles.

The lack of camera calibration is deal breaker for me. I use a Fujifilm camera and Lightroom has all the camera calibrations for the different film simulations built in ( acros, velvia, classic chrome etc )

Surprised the presets still can't be synced across devices without having to result to work-arounds. That can't be to difficult surely?!

I've been using Lightroom for yonks now, and am pretty happy with it. Speed hasn't ever been an issue for me and I love the organisation side of it.

Took this on the cable car in London a couple of hours ago. Used Snapseed to get rid of the cable that was in shot and I like how it turned out. Bit miffed about the reflection on the glass in the cable car though, not sure how to prevent it either too, especially given that it's pretty difficult to get a gondola to yourself on it. 

DSC02139-01-01.jpeg

• Upvote 9

19 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Took this on the cable car in London a couple of hours ago. Used Snapseed to get rid of the cable that was in shot and I like how it turned out. Bit miffed about the reflection on the glass in the cable car though, not sure how to prevent it either too, especially given that it's pretty difficult to get a gondola to yourself on it. 

DSC02139-01-01.jpeg

A polariser will cut some reflections (although you’ll lose some light and have to compensate). Otherwise one of those old-style rubber lens hoods can allow you to get right on the glass (assuming you can get close enough).

I probably wouldn’t have noticed the reflections at first glance had you not pointed them out though. Plus, sometimes reflections can add to the shot.

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2017 at 16:35, FishyFish said:

A polariser will cut some reflections (although you’ll lose some light and have to compensate). Otherwise one of those old-style rubber lens hoods can allow you to get right on the glass (assuming you can get close enough).

I probably wouldn’t have noticed the reflections at first glance had you not pointed them out though. Plus, sometimes reflections can add to the shot.

Yeah those reflections are fairly minor, a bit of cloning/healing would be enough to blend the straight lines out with the clouds if they are that bothersome.

Glass reflections are annoying, particularly on double glazing.

I wondered about buying/making something like this for the times when they really bother me. I saw someone using one in Tokyo and thought it was a good idea.