The Rllmuk Photography Thread

I think the camera may be picking up the edges of the filter sometimes, though it doesnt happen in all shots. I put the PL filter on top of my UV filter, should I remove the UV and just use the PL?

Rab.

Nice images there! Ive found if I used both filters at the same time I get terrible vignetting at the wide end (dark corners) but with just the PL on its not as bad, so try without the UV one on.

see, I'd be tempted to clone out that black in the top right hand corner (yes, rather than crop it).

I did think about, although I would have cropped (I have little photoshop skills) I decided to leave it though because I took it from within my car and on the larger version you can kinda see the dirt from the window so it made sense to leave a little flash of door pillar aswell.

What cameras are you guys taking photos with?

I've only ever used a cameraphone, would love to take it a step further as your shots look pretty special.

How much would i be talking for a decent-ish camera to take the sortof quality of shots you lot are taking?

Entry level DSLR's are starting around the 300 Pound mark.

Is there any one in particular which you can recommend?

Also, i'll be a complete n00b when starting out... Is it easy to get to grips with?

Oh, and this might sound utterly ridiculous too, but... Is the camera of a much higher standard than say a 3mp mobile phone?

I only ask, because £300 is quite a lot to spend on a first camera.... For me, anyway :(

It's a hell of a lot better, not only for the megapixel difference, Nikon's d40 is 6.1mp, the Canon 400d is over 10mp, but also for the variety of functions you can use. Basically phone cameras are always in auto mode and limit you to pretty much just point and shoot, which is fine of course, but if you want more versatility such as depth of field and exposure times then you need to upgrade.

I've only just made the move to dSLR but before I had a sort of midway point camera sometimes called a "prosumer" or "bridge" camera which lets you get to grips with the basic functions of an SLR without having full manual control and being somewhat more limited in it's SLR-like functions' ranges. The camera I had was the Fuji s5200 which by now is three models old (I think it's the s6500 now) which served me well, but my girlfriend has the Canon S3 IS, which she's got wonderful results from and I was always a bit envious of just how much more you could do with it, again it's out of date now and I think they're on the the S5 IS. These cameras are a lot cheaper and if you have little experience, may be a better buy.

Sorry if I've sounded patronising at any point in this, I don't mean to offend, I'm just trying to set it out in the simplest terms

What cameras are you guys taking photos with?

I've only ever used a cameraphone, would love to take it a step further as your shots look pretty special.

How much would i be talking for a decent-ish camera to take the sortof quality of shots you lot are taking?

I'm currently using a 40D and an assortment of film slrs and cheap 35mm cameras.

You might be best starting with a cheap slr.. should be able to get one off ebay for £20.