Sng

The Rllmuk Photography Thread

17 hours ago, carlospie said:

Couldn’t you pick the best three! 

To be honest I doubt even he knows which are the good ones

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Ste_S said:

To be honest I doubt even he knows which are the good ones

There's different degrees of brilliance, some approach astounding, incredible etc, then some are one in a million, timeless, but combined you get genius. ... regardless of the individual quality it's more about the overall effect the consistent mood creates. I just sit on so much good stuff for so long I'm dieing to let it out there. It feels wrong to deny people it. You wouldn't just sit on pure gold, would you? I mean I've just uploaded these

uietdfhfg_by_a_r_v-dc39w4s.png

reyrtyr_by_a_r_v-dc35jwr.png

454e6rytrytruty_by_a_r_v-dc39u2h.png

wesyhjghj_by_a_r_v-dc35l60.png

warerre_by_a_r_v-dc38w24.png

You people don't realise how good this stuff is. Hopefully, there's a few people, maybe they don't post, they're..what's that word? When you're...guests? Arggh, the silent hidden users of a forum? Anyway, those. yeah, hopefully, there's a few who are like; that guy! His stuff is the reason i go in that thread, beach after beach after fucking beach, and then bang, he puts up something like it's from a fucking horror film. Now I'm at a point where I have to think whether it's worthwhile, whether the privilege of an online place to show can offset how upsetting it is. I have to decide whether I'm wasted on rllmuk.

lurker, that's it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

His stuff is the reason i go in that thread, beach after beach after fucking beach, and then bang, he puts up something like it's from a fucking horror film

*Shrugs* I'm sure you think you're doing something revolutionary, but to be be honest it looks like average street photography. With the motion blur and heavy silhouetting on some photos it looks like a sixth form students take on it at that.

A lot of the photos having boring composition and un-interesting subjects where you haven't really captured anything, and have just silhouetted them to try to create interest.

Having said that, I do like four of them where you do seem to have captured a moment and the essence of the people you've shot. You probably need to learn what to keep and what to throw away.

Also, ease back on the processing. Man with the beard is far too heavily processed though for my tastes

rdghghhfgghhg_by_a_r_v-dbywkf3.png&key=5

4trytrytrytryty_by_a_r_v-dbxm0y2.png&key

erserse_by_a_r_v-dc2to49.png&key=65adfd0rftrrtt_by_a_r_v-dc32dek.png&key=b00eca3

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ste_S said:

*Shrugs* I'm sure you think you're doing something revolutionary, but to be be honest it looks like average street photography. With the motion blur and heavy silhouetting on some photos it looks like a sixth form students take on it at that.

A lot of the photos having boring composition and un-interesting subjects where you haven't really captured anything, and have just silhouetted them to try to create interest.

Genuinely, which ones are most boring and uninteresting? 

I'll use this one as an example of what I'm talking about.

gcfcvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv_by_a_r_v-dbu7k9a.p

It's someone selling some pretzels that isn't really that interesting. Any interest that could of been there you've killed by pushing contrast to the extreme. The contrast doesn't really boost anything in the photo, and feels as though you haven't thought though why you really doing it, or why you took the photo in the first place.

The framing is also bad as you've got someone half hidden by a stack of pretzels.

Contrast it to this photo of a pretzel seller by Vivian Maier. She's captured the sadness and desperation of the pretzel seller, which would of been enough for a portrait photo by itself. What she's also managed to do is contrast the presumed poverty of the pretzel seller with the more affluent New Yorkers.

The shallow(ish) depth of field also helps to draw the eye in towards the seller.

VM03.jpg 

• Upvote 4

haha, ok, we're going there ! *straps in*

The whole approach of my stuff is of an outsider, it's a relentlessly oppressive paranoid world view. It's not taking pictures of things, it's using things to make pictures. Subjects, objects are reduced to their form, shape, I want dynamism, chaos, clutter. It's not a photo I particularly care for really, though i like how high they're stacked moving outwards and how they cut into the other shapes, its graphicness implies energy and movement. The shittiness is part of the appeal, i find it futuristic. I mainly get a kick out of the magic of transforming ordinary life into something more unnerving, alien, ugly, in a way that is trashy, punk, low fi, but also occasionally with a beauty. I mean it's all harsh, but you aren't supposed to sit there and consume it from afar, it's meant to jolt you, get under your skin perhaps. It wouldn't make much difference to the photo to soften it. The essence would remain. Obviously, I use digital, I don't get intimate access, I don't visit war zones, i don't live in the 70s. My stuff is sterile and staid, it isn't the true spirit of street photography. But I'm always surprised and find new stuff fresh, if only for a few days.

The Vivian Maier photo is nice, but I'm not into classical photography. I don't disagree with your assessment of it, it does all those things. But I don't care. I'm more attracted to the pure satisfaction of feeling the raw visual anarchy of a photo that captures shapes more graphically than the detached measured approach aiming for perfection.

It's like the difference of a film that follows all the rules and applies them to a high standard, and then there is Gummo, which is just individual scenes with strange people living in poverty stitched together with zero plot. I actually find Gummo boring, but it has more value than most films. I'm not yearning for more Gummos, yet, but people will respond to the vitality of that film and say 'it makes everything else feel tired', and I get it. My pretzel shot was just something quick and messy, i sometimes prefer the shots caught in the moment than ones with considered intent. As Daido Moriyama says, it's more important what you feel in the moment than the camera you use. I prefer Moriyama to Maier. I want to be surprised, see something I can't comprehend, see something that seems like it's from another world. That excitement has to be there. I can't personally understand not having that fire inside you. It's the only reasons to do art. It is inconceivable for there not be any possibility of that. That desire overrides everything else. It overrides the shallow depth of field that draws your eye towards the subject, overrides the careful consideration of the intention, overrides the neat perfection of the execution. I want the amateur spirit but I'm not a pretender fumbling around getting things wrong, trying for what Vivian Maier got and missing the mark entirely. There is no 'right' with photography for me. To some degree all my shots work, they evoke something. There's many thousands that don't. How many are genuinely good, very few, because I upload twenty times as much as anyone else.

7eteryytry_by_a_r_v-dc2mrk5.png

When I catch a druid street performance with two women dressed in black doing yoga stretches and get a diagonal shot with her eyes looking downwards, it doesn't mean anything. Hopefully, it's surprising. Hopefully, for a split second you're taken to another world.

rtftftyy_by_a_r_v-dc2my9j.png

darcccccffff_by_a_r_v-dc2rmti.png

That one above isn't from a performance, it's a random person on the street. The dark hollow eyes, the tilt, the eerie stare, the twisted beauty. It cannot be otherworldly unless the subject has certain features, in certain dim light, in a certain situation, it is a one off. So...Is this exciting? To me it is. Is it average street photography? No, it isn't.

Raw as it is, this is the best candid shot I'll ever get. A person appearing to be witnessing the end of the world? Caught in the most ordinary situation in the street? The expression, wrinkles, hair, her eyes, gentle tilt upwards pushing you to imagine so much more. This is way, way, waaay beyond anything i could have hoped for. 'yeah, i want to capture someone with such natural wild intensity they appear to be staring at the universe folding in on itself'..'with the most perfect flat light to allow all the details to come through'. Do you know how excited I was going through that set? Try that one, and that one, and that one...fuck...wow. oh my word *starts shaking*. Can't wait to pop over to rllmuk and put it up among all the shots of English trees, telephone lines and fences. If you do not value the one in a million chance of a shot like this, you're dead inside to what art is.

ytoototfofp_by_a_r_v-dbekkmq.png

My take is that even if I'm not into @Loik V credern's shots they are quite a lot different to what makes up the rest of this thread and it doesn't stop everybody else posting theirs. And actually I DO rather like a lot of them so there.

I put up so many to annoy people, I have to admit. I was going to wait to get through them all, put them up by the city, maybe do a flashing gif with the city name in white text over a photo collage, but i couldn't wait, and thought fuck you rllmuk.

My arrogance isn't delusional, posts can be ludicrous exaggerations while still carrying the truth, I just think they're maybe worth not being ignored, or 8 views on deviantart. I'm aware of the failings of the style, the harshness, sterile digital straightness of angles because i zoom in so much, lack of intimate access. There's so much street photography so good if I look at it too much I'd give up, but it's not the classical stuff, it is pure masterful timing, reduction of shapes, inventive compositions. But I've got to appreciate the little surprises I get and anything that feels unsettling, because for general street photography that is not normal at all. You'll get people who shoot paid subjects in a ghostly way, but to apply that to random candid shots in the streets so aggressively and consistently isn't normal.

it cut me deep to be called average.. It's the worst thing anyone has ever said to me. Especially when I went back a page and looked at Ste_S' photos.

I wouldn't normally of commentated. There's a lot of photos I don't like, but as you say

5 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

There is no 'right' with photography for me

Which I absolutely agree with

But then you say stuff like this

On 15/02/2018 at 21:36, Loik V credern said:

His stuff is the reason i go in that thread, beach after beach after fucking beach, and then bang, he puts up something like it's from a fucking horror film.

and your arrogance for your stuff to the detriment of others is grating.

• Upvote 2

That's supposed to be funny! I like beaches!

anyway, i'm nearly ok, i'm still a bit scarred. I still think I'm wasted on here and can't quite accept it i'll be honest, it's hard to get over. Like in that episode of Red Dwarf where Rimmer's self esteem is so low it has materialized into a monster that is literally dragging Starbug down with him, and the rest of the crew have to pretend to care for him deeply, so they all do a big man hug and yell 'we love you big man, we love you Rimmer!' It's like that, i need to know the quite obvious consistent, year on year brilliance of my stuff is penetrating the souls of rllmuk.

recently i've had 3 'brilliant!'s, one 'amazing', I got: 'I have to say, your work is a bit hard to get into at first glance. But taking it in and really looking at it, your body of work is quite good and captivating unique. You have have very unique perspective, way of seeing, and interest in specific visual forms.'

got: 'hi, i just read your comment about comments - i´m seldom at dA now due to mainly playing and recording music - i downloaded and faved quite a few of your pictures, and everytime they appear in my faves slideshow, i realize, that they are really special - most of your street shots of people are simply awesome - i mean it and i just wanted to let you know...'

i got: 'I'd go see that movie.'

I got: 'Seeing your photos were a massive inspiration for me to step up from just shooting with my mobile phone, to getting something semi-serious. Your work is full of atmosphere and mood, and it has a rawness and grit to it that really speaks to me. Your photos are also amongst the most beautiful B&W work I've seen yet'.

and: 'that last pic, the woman on the bus? That is a fucking beautiful moment. I don't have the balls to take a photo like that yet, maybe someday I can capture something half as beautiful.'

..which helped a little bit. Like, oh right yeah there is people alive and awake, they somewhat reflect the effect they should have. But...still, you guys. yuguyz

milko's post was nice but a bit uncommitted. I need more unabashed declarations of love. Like, I dunno, 'aw! i saw that photo of yours one time and flipped out'.

ok loik is gonna go sleep now he's tired

bye loik

byeeeeeeee

• Downvote 2

how_does_david_cameron_sleep_at_night_by

SO. FUCKING.AWESOME.

Hang on, should that be awesome bolded in italics instead, so fucking awesome. fucking, fucking, so. And hang on, there might be one with the lines reaching the top. will.report.back.

• Downvote 1