The old Rllmuk Photography Thread

Sng

Not on the same planet as Dork Knight's but here are some from a stroll today(it is just a compact mind):

P1050870.jpg

P1050859.jpg

These should be some of the last before I get a new camera next month...

In fact I'm gonna delete the second one in a tic as the focus is all wrong.

Incidentally, what camera/lens are you using Dork Knight?

Keep it Dr Nookie... I would.

The colour picture was taken with my Canon 50D and Sigma 10-20mm Lens ~ I actually gave that setup away and I really do miss the high fps of the 50D.

The second is with my Canon 5D MkII and Canon 24-70mm, kinda wished I took a telephoto with me now.... but there's always next time.

Keep it Dr Nookie... I would.

The colour picture was taken with my Canon 50D and Sigma 10-20mm Lens ~ I actually gave that setup away and I really do miss the high fps of the 50D.

The second is with my Canon 5D MkII and Canon 24-70mm, kinda wished I took a telephoto with me now.... but there's always next time.

Cool - thanks for that.

I'm avoiding the slr route as I just don't have the time to learn it all and want something as portable as poss so have settled on an Nex 5n.

Hopefully it will give me noticeably better pics than my p&s without taking over my life.

At least that's the plan.

It was taken in Porthcawl

Thought I recognised it :)

6262704683_c6d94ab97a_z.jpg

Fantastic shot Dork - never been down there when the weather's that bad, but I really should. If there was ever a reason to brave the wind and sea spray, shots like that are definitely it.

Cool - thanks for that.

I'm avoiding the slr route as I just don't have the time to learn it all and want something as portable as poss so have settled on an Nex 5n.

Hopefully it will give me noticeably better pics than my p&s without taking over my life.

At least that's the plan.

The learning curve isn't too bad, but at least you've made a decision on having a really portable setup which you can take everywhere.

That's my plan for 2012, two smaller setups which you can take everywhere with you rather than lug around the beast.

That looks like a cracking camera, hope you like it Dr Nookie :)

Thought I recognised it :)

Fantastic shot Dork - never been down there when the weather's that bad, but I really should. If there was ever a reason to brave the wind and sea spray, shots like that are definitely it.

Cheers... I got annihilated by a gust of wind which threw a crap load of sea foam into me, rancid.

Are you local to that area View PostSpatial?

Cheers... I got annihilated by a gust of wind which threw a crap load of sea foam into me, rancid.

Are you local to that area Spatial?

Yep, I live in the Bridgend area.

Don't know if you saw The Gazette this week, but there was a photo taken by a member of the public that went with an article about the rough weather. The photo was of someone in a water proof coat with a camera on a tripod who would have been standing just about where would have been to get that shot. Wasn't you in the photo was it?

Handheld? That makes that shot even more impressive. :o

Having a mooch at the Flickr group for the area shows a fair few photos of the recent weather from that spot, so it must have been some other water logged soul.

Been meaning to get to Nash Point at some... er, point. Dunraven Bay's a favourite spot of mine., you can get some great photos whether the tide is in or out.

That fish photo would look awesome with the bottom cropped off so you can't see the trees.

I played with that, but in the end I prefered the trees, compositionally, as they let you perceive the scale of the giant fish. I don't like the road-sign in the background, though. Feel free to post a crop, it would be interesting to compare.

Been out testing out my lee hard grads today, to see what they're like.

in short, AMAZING.

This is the third set of nd grads i've had (got the hard set, waiting on the softs to come through).

Cokin - Utterly fucking gash. Nasty purple colour cast, utter pain in the arse to remove, lens flair like fuck as well.

Hitech - Not quite as bad cast as the Cokins, but still shit, tend to lens flare more than the Cokins.

Lee - Superb, no colour cast, minimal lens flare.

I just goes to prove that you do get what you pay for. Anyone want a set of Cokin or Hitechs?

Heres a shot straight out of the camera with no processing at all (except from importing and then explorting the raw file to/from lightroom)

6695752715_ec3fe492c6.jpg

Lee .9 ND Hard Grad by keety uk, on Flickr

Here's two stacked with the big stopper

6695757235_7cf1406d1e.jpg

_MG_3724.jpg by keety uk, on Flickr

6695760151_5949cb4dd5.jpg

_MG_3731.jpg by keety uk, on Flickr

and heres one on its own converted to B&W and tweaked a bit...

6695763481_28f63c0823.jpg

_MG_3747.jpg by keety uk, on Flickr

I just goes to prove that you do get what you pay for. Anyone want a set of Cokin or Hitechs?

Ha ha, not after your reviews! :D

Nice work, particularly the one with the big stopper. One day I will treat myself to one of those! Got a bit of welding glass but not tried it properly yet, it makes the images completely green though, and I suspect will not do the image quality any favours!

You're so lucky to be close to the sea!

Nice pictures there Pope ~ On the filters I went Cokin -> Lee -> Hitech

I would certainly have to agree that Lee are superb over the other two, I've always heard good things about Singh-Ray Filters but have yet to try one.

Wouldn't mind giving the Big Lee Stopper a go, I did have one on order a very long time ago with WEX, but I cancelled it after a number of months to put the money into something else ~ I was weak the other day, someone posted on POTN about a B&W 20 Stop Filter they had purchased by mistake, epic shutter times on that thing.

Bought Nickys D90 and got myself a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Went out quickly today for a few shots:

6703278239_28d9f1e73c_z.jpg

Chatelherault by iwan_canobi, on Flickr

6703296411_998286a58f_z.jpg

Chatelherault Sunset by iwan_canobi, on Flickr

Need to get scouting some new locations! How do you guys decide? Do you plan ahead? I was rushing today so just went for a safe nearby option, but I feel like I'm running out of ideas locally. How do people find places?

Bought Nickys D90 and got myself a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Went out quickly today for a few shots:

6703278239_28d9f1e73c_z.jpg

Chatelherault by iwan_canobi, on Flickr

6703296411_998286a58f_z.jpg

Chatelherault Sunset by iwan_canobi, on Flickr

Need to get scouting some new locations! How do you guys decide? Do you plan ahead? I was rushing today so just went for a safe nearby option, but I feel like I'm running out of ideas locally. How do people find places?

it's great seeing her put to good use. *sniff*

Went to Belfast at the weekend and took a few shots (mainly of the hockey games, but a couple of others too)

6707217783_a2fd63949f_z.jpg

H&W Crane by bradigor81, on Flickr

6707217391_7b77a0f47a_z.jpg

Bangor Lamp 1 by bradigor81, on Flickr

6707216203_c796677097_z.jpg

Bangor Marine by bradigor81, on Flickr

6707212213_6258808c85_z.jpg

Giants vs Blaze 8 by bradigor81, on Flickr

6707207103_01ef4590b6_z.jpg

The Twine by bradigor81, on Flickr

6707205899_9197ac55df_z.jpg

Giants vs Blaze 21 by bradigor81, on Flickr