The old Rllmuk Photography Thread

Sng

Got given a old nikkor 50mm 2.0 lens a while back and finally got around to getting an adaptor from ebay so I could fit it to my 550d. Pretty glad I did, really pleased with it. Not as sharp as the nifty-fifty but pretty damn good considering its from the late 60's and been stuck in a old box for many years.

6168909238_f3ef000bdf_b.jpg

IMG_7550 by P-Zilla, on Flickr

Got given a old nikkor 50mm 2.0 lens a while back and finally got around to getting an adaptor from ebay so I could fit it to my 550d. Pretty glad I did, really pleased with it. Not as sharp as the nifty-fifty but pretty damn good considering its from the late 60's and been stuck in a old box for many years.

6168909238_f3ef000bdf_b.jpg

IMG_7550 by P-Zilla, on Flickr

very nice results - goes to show it's worth holding onto old lenses (and worth checking the charity shops!)

These are both lovely! Out of interest, as a complete noob who is reading more information on photography at the moment that my brain can take and being keen to take similar photos, how much did you manipulate them on a PC and do you shoot in RAW?

I've just noticed, looking at them on Flickr, that you are using a G10 (I have a G2). Which lens are you using?

These are both lovely! Out of interest, as a complete noob who is reading more information on photography at the moment that my brain can take and being keen to take similar photos, how much did you manipulate them on a PC and do you shoot in RAW?

I've just noticed, looking at them on Flickr, that you are using a G10 (I have a G2). Which lens are you using?

I use Lightroom 3 with plugins for silver efex and colour efex pro. Using these I can do pretty much everything I want, but I'll use photoshop for cloning out stuff. I'll always shoot in RAW as it gives you much better options when it comes to processing your images on the computer. For these top shot I ran it through colour efex to balance the colours out and boosted the contrast, and then added a graduated filter at the top of the frame to bring out the horizon (it was a VERY bright morning!). The second one was just de-saturated and then had a colour filter added. Both wouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes to do.

I think the above shots would have been taken with the standard kit lens (14-42mm), but it'd be the newer version that Panasonic released. Oh, and they recently released new firmware for a lot of lenses so it's worth checking them out to see if you're up to date. I also use the 45-200 lens which is pretty damned good and is pretty sharp.

A guy brought some sanctuary birds to town today. Bit cramped for shooting, and I wish I had a telephoto lens (I just have my kit lens and a macro), but I got a handful of nice shots I think.

6175569001_e5f54500dc_b.jpg

falconsml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

Some kind of falcon I think, I forget what he told me :(

6175568865_6287d1da02_b.jpg

Owl1sml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

Massive owl. The guy said it has as much power in its beak and talons as a German Shepherd, and hunts foxes.

6176097378_4a3c4e5d1e_b.jpg

redtail2sml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

6176096906_28125c1f4a_b.jpg

redtailsml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

North American Red-Tailed Hawk.

6176097160_00b43a3b8f.jpg

kestrelsml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

Kestrel. Was very concerned with getting out of those shackles!

6176096734_f4f4831200_b.jpg

buzzardsml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

Buzzard. Kept trying to fly off its perch.

6176096398_8630c374a5_b.jpg

barnowlsml by Swabbleflange, on Flickr

Good ol' Barn Owl.

what speed and f did you take those pics at, as most of them look blurred/out of focus to me.

When taking pictures of animals/humans etc it's important to focus on the eyes. It doesn't matter if other bits are blured/out of focus or whatever, but the first thing your brain will see and lock straight onto are the eyes. Totoro's picture up above is a good example, the eyes are crystal clear and really bring the whole portrait to life.

It took me a while to figure that out :)

what speed and f did you take those pics at, as most of them look blurred/out of focus to me.

When taking pictures of animals/humans etc it's important to focus on the eyes. It doesn't matter if other bits are blured/out of focus or whatever, but the first thing your brain will see and lock straight onto are the eyes. Totoro's picture up above is a good example, the eyes are crystal clear and really bring the whole portrait to life.

It took me a while to figure that out :)

Yeah, it was a bit of a bustle and not the most comfortable conditions to be taking photos (and I'm still rather self-conscious with being out and about with my camera). Any that actually are in focus were probably on full auto, and the rest would be me trying to look like I know what I'm doing ;)

Thanks for the comments on my images guys, constructive critiscm also welcome. :)

I do really like this one, the hills in the distance look amazing, the mist and actual depth of visibility being the standout. The only thing that puts me off is the copse of trees on the right, they are kinda distracting. It seems as though a wide open flat landscape with the road reaching out into the distance would suit it better.

Lovely images though ... also thanks for mentioning those lightroom plugins, will check them out.