The Expanse

JohnC

1 hour ago, Timbuktu said:

Just ordered the last three books in the series to start reading once the show ends.  Haven’t read the previous ones, reckon it’s easy to pick up directly after the show? 

Kinda...there are characters in the show that got merged together, and some major characters that haven't massively featured in series so there might be some gaps but generally I think the show would give you a solid foundation to go from.

Honestly…are we watching the same

show?

This is probably the worst season yet. The amount of nothing slow scenes is ridiculous. Nothing has happened in 5 episodes.

This is honestly worse than the final season of GOT. 

They’ve made covered in 5 eps, what should have been 1-2 max.

The next is going to be amazing but they’re clearly going to end it on a cliffhanger. 

It’s felt a bit like 5 very good filler episodes, with 5 shorts from a different show. It’ll all need to payoff next week for me to see it as a decent season tbh, but that’s a lot of pressure to put on the finale. Drummer as mentioned is clearly the standout here, with just the odd flash of brilliance from the other characters. It’s a little frustrating having precious screen time given to characters and events that don’t currently seem that relevant. They pulled it off with Bobbie back when she was introduced, but I’d happily have traded Marco’s son scenes for more Amos and the gang. 

I’ll be playing the shit out of that Drummer game that’s for sure.

It hasn't been what I expected from a final season, but I've still loved every minute of it. GOT was a completely different situation, where almost all the characters I actually cared about had been killed off, and only the worst plot threads were left to resolve (badly). This season has been the exact opposite of that.

There's certainly a lot to resolve next week, but I have a feeling it's going to be great.

Comparing this to the last season of GoT does it a massive disservice. Unlike GoT it's not terribly written or littered with character moments that make no sense.

It's quite surprisingly low key, that's for sure, but that's not the same as "nothing happening" - characters have been developing with a steady arc over all five episodes, punctuated by some short, sharp action sequences.

It's just a shame it'll be over soon.

10 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

Just ordered the last three books in the series to start reading once the show ends.  Haven’t read the previous ones, reckon it’s easy to pick up directly after the show? 

Nope. There are loads of characters that are in the books that aren’t in the tv or or have been repurposed. You should just either read them all or not bother at all.

8 hours ago, Delargey said:

Kinda...there are characters in the show that got merged together, and some major characters that haven't massively featured in series so there might be some gaps but generally I think the show would give you a solid foundation to go from.

Cool.  I’m guessing Alex is still around since there isn’t the issues with the actor.

As for this season, I’m fine with it and looking forward to the finale.  I would say that it feels like second part of season 5 rather than it’s own season, the rhythm is probably better when considering the two together.  I am happy for them to give time to characters and consider the aftermath of what happened last season. 

I still don’t get what they are doing with the prologues.  The only real shame for me is them not managing to get Jared Harris back, even for a cameo.  Guess we can blame Apple for that.

And where are these shorts that get mentioned?

That was great. No action at all apart from the short railgun sequence but so many fantastic character moments. Bobby and Amos, Avasarala and Bobby, Drummer and Naomi, Drummer and Avasarala. And I actually think Philip is selling his inner turmoil well this season.

Ace stuff and I'm sad there's only one episode left.

This has been great but it's not the final series I was expecting. Really hope they do more. 

Holden feels like Shepard in Mass Effect, just before the 'point of no return' in the end game is using his time talking to the crew and sipping more coffee. It feels weirdly lacking in urgency. 

I can’t work out how one episode (even a long one) can give time for the Pet Semetary bit to meaningfully resolve into anything more than a “to be concluded if we make more of these” cliffhanger, it feels like what kicks off at the half way point of previous series.

Yeah, when they were negotiating with Amazon it basically worked out that they could do six episodes. And the writers agreed that they could tell the story OK in that many, although they’d planned for anything up to 12.

definitely felt like a 'get everyone together before setting off on The Highwind for the final boss' episode.

Spoiler

TechnoZombie brother

was enjoyably creepy. Hopefully the finale doesn't involve a long conversation between Holden and the Wormhole Aliens taking the form of his various parents.

See the first little action scene with the martian ships attacking some of Marco's ships and then going through the ring. Did that run backwards (not just the orientation of the ships, the whole scene) or was it just a stylised thing?

47 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

See the first little action scene with the martian ships attacking some of Marco's ships and then going through the ring. Did that run backwards or was it just a stylised thing?

Short answer is that it's not running backwards.

This guy breaks the scene down: 

It's not in reverse. The Martian ships take out the sentries resulting in a couple of large blue explosions. The camera then zooms out so the explosions sudenly look smaller - resulting in an optical illusion that they're contracting back in on themselves.

Hmm. In that case the camera movement and zoom relative to the ships also doesn’t help; they very much seem to be flying backwards away from the Gate.

An unusual accidental misdirect in a series that’s normally really solid about communicating relative scale and motion even when ships flying arse-on to their destination is an intrinsic part of the design.

Start of Episode 5. Spoiler tagged because I'm not sure how sensitive anyone might be to this chat above around how it plays out :)

Spoiler

The thing that makes it confusing is the MCRN ships look like they are flying away from the gate after the explosions, when in actual fact they are executing partial breaking burns TOWARD the gate before turning back to standard front facing again. The animation for the rail gun hits is also not entirely clear until the exposition that follows.

I think 🙄