IGNORED

The Expanse

JohnC

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I hope the film theory is true or these vignettes at the start of each episode are likely to be a massive waste of screen time.

First two episodes have been very slow- so they must have something up their sleeves.

Only six episodes is starting to worry me considering it's spend so much time on bad actor child already.

Spoiler

I do like the idea that surviving even on a lush green planet is still basically impossible though because of the difference in chemical composition, meaning if humans end up destroying Earth they're still fucked. Of course, that's not really how basic elements and chemistry works though - if you have the source of soil, water and energy where there can be life, I'd assume you've basically got the building blocks you need as the universe is made up of the same basic stuff everywhere. Unless I'm mistaken. But it's a cool idea though.

Also: "Peewee." Lol.

Edit:

Spoiler

Actually I think I'm being stupid about the alien planet biology thing. It stands to reason that any other planet with life would have a radically different makeup than our own, as even the minerals themselves that make up the crust would have been influenced over millennia by the processes of the life evolving on it etc. Maybe it's a lot more realistic than I realised.

Spoiler

Edit - Reaction to your first post: We're way more dependent on the specific biochemistry of our ecosystem than that. The simple autotrophs are basically just pulling energy out of the environment by whatever means they can, but those organisms then synthesise biomolecules with rather arbitrary structures. The chirality of biomolecules is basically just a cosmic coin toss, for example, with no evolutionary advantage or disadvantage. And so everything that eats our planet's autotrophs needs to be compatible with that specific biochemistry out of all the possible biochemistries. And anything that eats things which eat autotrophs is evolved to meet that particular biochemical niche. There are entire sections of the ecosystem, e.g. obligate carnivores, cats and things like that, which can only survive by consuming complex molecules that have already been synthesised by other life forms. It's very ecosystem specific.

I think the books did a great job in this regard. You have organisms with familiar body plans and mechanical structures because they fulfil similar evolutionary needs, like sight and locomotion, but the underlying chemistry can be completely different. We already see this on Earth.

Spoiler

Yeah I basically realised that in my head after the first post so followed up with the same thoughts (only without the requisite technical language). It's funny how my very first thoughts on what was realistic or possible was much more clearly influenced by basic sci-fi film and TV, yet here The Expanse is, actually being realistic and it seemed like the strange one.

Spoiler

I think even scientifically it's a perfectly natural conclusion to jump to. There are schools of thought which conclude that alien life is still very likely to use things like nucleic acids and peptides because they're so evolutionarily effective. The idea that within those constraints, there are points in evolutionary history where there was basically a dice roll, and everything thereafter is locked in to one of several mutually incompatible chemistries, is both counterintuitive and absolutely maddening.

I actually wonder if you could have a planet with a variety of different biochemistries that either compete or evolved to interact in specific ways. So maybe some microorganism would evolve an organ that converts "alien" amino acids in to its own "native" ones. Something like multiple shadow biospheres, but not completely independent of each other.

On 17/12/2021 at 14:25, Don Wiskerando said:

I've just started a rewatch and even having watched it through at least twice I still feel like I'm picking up new stuff.

This is an obvious one in hindsight but in episode 4 when Krisjen is on the roof with her son 

Hide contents

they're watching shooting stars and she says 'I worry about people who throw rocks.' and the son replies 'No one can throw rocks that big.'

I'd even forgotten that the initial setup was all about missing stealth tech.

This is the second best science fiction show ever made and hopefully it can stick the landing.

Yeah I love the slow burn story telling on this.

Its clearly got a few things they had planned long term. 

5 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

Man only 4 episodes for Naomi to resolve her relationship with her son, her Belter heritage and now 

Hide contents

space-vertigo

That's a busy few days.

Holden looks sicker than ever :( 

Hopefully the kill her off.

Holy shit is she the weak link

Jesus, this weeks is a cracker.

Spoiler

The central premise around ceres is a smart one, and exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to see in a real conflict.

Got a lol out of Amos glassing over during his comms message.

Great dogfight, especially liked the railgun snapshot.

Oh, and that ending scene!

Count me in on team 'they're obviously tying things up in a movie' btw. 

They just dont seem to be that hurried about pacing things with only 3 and a bit eps left.

I couldn't resist, so dived in last night. So great, and about to hot up even more I reckon...

That ending

Spoiler

Was a new type of ship coming through the ring gate...

Also, for some extra scenes for each episode, you can go to the App, press pause and then bonus content. There's one short for each episode I believe.

It’s good, rattling along nicely. But these feel a bit like bottle episodes. It’s all very focused, set-based, no location shooting, no particularly showy CG or action scenes (not to say the battles aren’t tense and well made). I’m totally convinced the back half of the budget for this season is going into three movies or feature length episodes to finish off the final trilogy.

Also enjoyed the mass effect 3 style procession of cameos from old characters calling up to confirm everything’s fine. “Hi, James Holden? Yeah it’s the Rachni Queen here” 

22 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

By shorts I was meaning the pre-credits side story. I can’t get the deleted scenes on my tv app either.

No one can get them on TV at the moment.   I'm loading them up on phone and watching before each main episode.

I've just this morning finished a full rewatch of the first 5 series and, having loved it the first time, I think this time has been even better.  I've really picked up more of the little details and recognised ship names that I'd missed before.

It's really up there as maybe the best show ever.