The Expanse

JohnC

Have they talked much about why they're ending it here? Seems like there's no shortage of further source material. Was the rescue by Amazon always a limited one? I have no idea how popular the show is really but I presume not incredibly mass market.

I do prefer a show being able to end properly, knowing in advance what they have to work with, but equally it does still seem premature in this case.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

As best I can tell on Twitter, the authors seem ok with it so there must be something planned. Although I haven't got this far in the books yet to get a sense of it.

I'd be careful following them on Twitter, Ty is quite free and easy with the spoilers.

I've just started season 5 on my rewatch and I'm picking up so much more detail. I think it's inevitable in a show like this that that will happen, there's just so much stuff going on and so many players, particularly at the beginning when you're going in blind. 

Basically, I recommend a rewatch.

• 2 weeks later...

https://discussingfilm.net/2021/12/05/the-expanse-season-6-review-a-perfect-send-off/

Nonetheless, with the final season and final book releasing this month, it does seem, for the moment, that this part of The Expanse ride is over. In regards to the show, the ending is as perfect as it can be when factoring in all that needed to be accomplished here. I’ve been here faithfully since episode one, and it’s such a wonderful feeling to know that not only was the quality consistent season to season, but unlike most recent popular show endings, this one feels special and made with care. 

Well that's good to hear, I was really worried about them having to cram everything into so few episodes for the final season. Incidentally I had no idea it was coming so soon, they sure seemed to pump it out very quickly, but then with less episodes I guess it was always going to be faster.

As the show is back this week, I wanted a recap in readiness, thought maybe useful to post this incase anyone else wanted to view them:

An official short recap:

Also this much longer one from Man Of Recaps, who I do like how he blasts through the ins and out of plots and do enjoy his quick pace:

Query for anyone that has read the book and seen the show.

I adore the show and loved all of the seasons except for four, found it all rather dull mainly the scenes about the ancient structures on the Illus planet.

I've just got to book four in the series (Cibola Burn), how close is the story in this book adapted for season four of the show? If is it very similar I can see myself feeling the same way.

Just checking before I get to far into the book, only about twenty pages in so far.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

I adore the show and loved all of the seasons except for four, found it all rather dull mainly the scenes about the ancient structures on the Illus planet.

I've just got to book four in the series (Cibola Burn), how close is the story in this book adapted for season four of the show? If is it very similar I can see myself feeling the same way.

Just checking before I get to far into the book, only about twenty pages in so far.

Thanks

Spoiler

Book 4 is super important for the whole plot though. I thought it was good. Change of pace and filled in a lot of backstory, introduces some important people and concepts and also Murtry. The cunt. 

20 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Thanks

Some of my friends really enjoyed book four, that it takes a bit of a break from the space adventures but for me it is the weakest in the series both in the show and in the books.

From what I remember the main plot is mostly on Illus- which I thought was a bit dull, the main villain seemed to be an equally one dimensional arsehole in both, but I think some of the other plot lines set up some important characters for later in the series.

Can't wait for the new Season. I've been up to date on the books since the latest one was released so it'll be fun to see what's happening. I'm dismayed that

Spoiler

Alex

has left the show, as he's my favorite character, but that's life. The thing I love most about this show, tbh, is watching Amos' growth through the seasons. How absolutely fucking badass was that scene 

Spoiler

in the cabin/ shower on the civilian shuttle to Luna. Perfectly captured the tone of the scene from the books and then some. "I don't like waiting." :lol:

Watching that clip and it made me realise just how few things make me feel as excited or as 'punch the air fuck yeah' as 

Spoiler

The Roci breaking out of a burn and spinning as the PDCs wind up! That moment just before the rounds fire out is pure 👌

:omg: