The Expanse

JohnC

On 05/04/2019 at 14:00, Thor said:

THERE

Please never do that again. Also, of course there are fucking books. People just need to be careful about spoilers.

Please be careful about spoilers everyone. I don't like having any hints, at all, and it's easy to use the tag. Or, use the book thread.

What on Earth is up with this forum?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the week off since Easter with grand plans to do chores and get some solid game time in. On Monday night I thought I would give the Expanse another go after having given up after a couple of episodes several months ago. I started again and after about 3 episodes it clicked and I've then spent the rest of the week on a binge having achieved none of my pre-holiday goals. I thought it would struggle after what was tied up in season 2 but not at all. So now the long wait for S4 begins.

On 22/12/2015 at 16:22, hauk said:

Just watched episode 3, things are starting to get interesting.

I hope so. I started this last night, and so far find it a little bit dull. Nobody seems to show much emotion, and the Police guy is a terrible mumbler (might be my hearing though).

I love SciFi, the wife think's it's ok, should we stick with it?

EDIT: Have just read half of this thread, seems I am not alone in my thoughts, but will stick with it. Well done rllmuk, I wouldn't have done it without you lot.

Seriously, STICK WITH IT. I was having a bit of trouble hearing people in the first few episodes - not entirely sure why - but that seems to sort itself out. It's SO FUCKING GOOOOOOOD.

It's like some wonderful cross between Firefly and BSG, with ships ripped straight from the game Space Engineers.

On 28/04/2019 at 12:15, Meh said:

Seriously, STICK WITH IT. I was having a bit of trouble hearing people in the first few episodes - not entirely sure why - but that seems to sort itself out. It's SO FUCKING GOOOOOOOD.

It's like some wonderful cross between Firefly and BSG, with ships ripped straight from the game Space Engineers.

I tried, did 4 episodes but just can't seem to gel with it. I'm not sure exactly why, but I don't find it that exciting. I suggested to my wife we watch another one last night and she said "I'm not watching that shit", then watched some tv show where that annoying fuck Steven Mulsomething puts a glass of water on a Joe public person's head, sounds a Klaxxon and if they don't flinch they win a grand. 

I told her I could see her brain dribbling out of her ear, which was met with the look.

The one mistake this show makes is that opening half dozen episodes of revving up. If you’re not the sort of person who loves SF scene-setting there aren’t any clear relatable stakes for quite a while.

There's a huge amount of flab in the books that they can (and has been so far) happily cut out. One of the writers is GRRM's manservant and he obviously taught him the fine art of wheelspinning your series to keep collecting paycheques for longer. Not to mention a whole bunch of unnecessary complete bores of characters they also seem to be ignoring, Drummer in the show is about 5 characters rolled into one at this point I think.

Pretty much. Not to the same extent at the start, the first series (and some of the second) was fairly 1:1 as the first book is relatively tight. But it ripped out swathes in the last series in particular, in my opinion for the better. The next book they’re about to adapt is not particularly well thought of and I imagine that they'll be changing a lot of things for the better based on their track record so far.

I think the novel that just came out is supposed to be the penultimate one, so the books should be complete before the TV show catches up with it, but who knows. It was supposed to be a trilogy, then it was going to be 5 books and now 9 books. I'm about 60% of the way through the new one and finding it a bit of a slog, it’s very later Game of Thrones novels - in that it seems to be piling on not particularly interesting sub-plots and boring new POV characters when things should really all be drawing together for the finale.