rllmuk
JohnC

The Expanse - S4 out December 13

Spoilers for Episode 6 plus the first book:

- Now that I've read the book, I'm finding the whole "Holden being blamed for undeleting the distress call" thing a bit odd, given that in the book the Cant simply answered it and went there without any of that crew drama happening.

- With Miller fired by Star Helix without getting a last bit of info from Dawes (and instead almost being killed by Dawes' goons), I wonder how he will end up on Eros? How will he find out that Holden is alive?

Not spoilers:

As the TV series isn't constrained by the POV character chapter structure of the book series, I like how we get to see more than just what is happening with Miller and Holden.

This is getting better each episode so I'll stick with it for now, given up on just about everything else so it's pretty much the only show I look forward to each week.

..and I can't believe how much Jared Harris (Dawes) now sounds like his dad, uncanny.

I'm re-reading the book right now and I was wondering why the pace of the show was a bit slower than the progress in the book, and then realised about two thirds of the budget will have to go on the last third of the show. Super excited for episodes 8-10.

Well the first book is pretty great so I always expected the series to be as good as long as budget and cast were right. And they are. Though I did picture the Rocinante crew as a tad more grizzled. Amos is pretty spot on mind.

Having watched Episode 8, I think the show is finally moving beyond setup to delivering, and it's awesome. They should be able to keep up a rapid pace. Front loading Aversarala means they'll save a lot of time next season.

So much mumbling, its a whole show full of Mulders. Have enjoyed watching all he episodes back to back.

I think maybe some of the native space people aren't really supposed to have exact Earth-equivalent accents.

Its pretty Jar jaring.

Yeah it was good.

The two part finale was probably some of the best stuff so far. Can't wait for Season 2, which will be heavily loaded with awesome stuff from the get go.

That's good to know (don't know anything about the books), as season one felt like so much set up but I was worried that, as is traditional with many TV shows, a new season means slowing it back down for more build up to the end again. It's feels like it's just got going so I hope it can continue like that.

Great finale.

Pity they didn't have another two or three episodes though, to finish the first book!

Still, at least season two is going to have 13 episodes, rather than 10.

Thoughts on the finale, with BOOK 1 & 2 SPOILERS:

I don't have a problem with the way they simplified the conspiracy by just having Julie Mao's father's corporation being behind it all.

Interesting how they have brought forward Avasarala realising that the UN and her boss are involved in it all. One of the things with book two was that she realised late that "the game" had changed and that she'd missed things. I do love the character, though, and it's great that we've had her in season one.

Not keen on Fred broadcasting the data about the stealth ships being made by Earth - that takes away one of the key things of Holden's character: his repeated blabbing of things that people "need to know" without thinking of the consequences.

I hope that the corporate spy being absorbed into the protomolecule mass isn't leading toward him becoming The Investigator instead of who it should be.

That's good to know (don't know anything about the books), as season one felt like so much set up but I was worried that, as is traditional with many TV shows, a new season means slowing it back down for more build up to the end again. It's feels like it's just got going so I hope it can continue like that.

It seems like they have done all the Avasarala setup from the first half of the second book and tightened up the conspiracy that runs through them both, so I reckon Season 2 will be accused of being the one where they traded the slow buildup of the first for lots of spectacle. Which I am entirely okay with.

• Upvote 2

It seems like they have done all the Avasarala setup from the first half of the second book and tightened up the conspiracy that runs through them both, so I reckon Season 2 will be accused of being the one where they traded the slow buildup of the first for lots of spectacle. Which I am entirely okay with.

You aint gonna hear me complain about that. Still got ep 10 to watch mind. Cos better half wanted to watch limitless, which granted is one of the best procedural shows for a long time.

This was a great series, stumbled on it about a month ago or so and was instantly hooked, I have downloaded the Audio books from Audible now, but am considering not listening to them so that I don't spoil the rest of the show :)

You aint gonna hear me complain about that. Still got ep 10 to watch mind. Cos better half wanted to watch limitless, which granted is one of the best procedural shows for a long time.

Thing is, coming up I know Avasarala gets to have some great personal bits, they add at least one excellent new character who I'm dying to find out the casting of, and Holden gets a bit of an arc beyond being the stupidest/ luckiest bastard in the system, so it's not all explosions and stuff. But fuck aye, roll on Season 2.

This was a great series, stumbled on it about a month ago or so and was instantly hooked, I have downloaded the Audio books from Audible now, but am considering not listening to them so that I don't spoil the rest of the show :)

Chronologically you could listen to Leviathan Wakes up until they find the Anubis. But then you'll want to probably hear the rest...

I've read the first two books, and now just blitzed this in a week, and thought the production values actually looked quite good in the end. In the trailer, they looked cheap, but in the show it seemed to work. Unless there's been some subtle enhancement in post production. I thought the casting was pretty good... Alex, Amos, Naomi, they all fit the bill for me. I pictured Holden as a little older somehow, so he's the weaker of the bunch for me.

First book spoiler...

Spoiler

I'm sure in the outbreak on Eros, that Miller and Holden had to fight a lot more zombies than was shown in the TV show. In fact, I don't think they shot a single zombie. The zombies seemed a lot more in the background, I thought. Maybe it was budget constraints.

It looked cheap in the trailer because Syfy accidentally put out a version of the trailer that hadn't been colour corrected. The DoP was livid apparently, the only difference between the trailer and the show is the colour correction apparently.

On 12/02/2016 at 9:12 PM, Monkeyboy said:

I've read the first two books, and now just blitzed this in a week, and thought the production values actually looked quite good in the end. In the trailer, they looked cheap, but in the show it seemed to work. Unless there's been some subtle enhancement in post production. I thought the casting was pretty good... Alex, Amos, Naomi, they all fit the bill for me. I pictured Holden as a little older somehow, so he's the weaker of the bunch for me.

First book spoiler...

Hide contents

I'm sure in the outbreak on Eros, that Miller and Holden had to fight a lot more zombies than was shown in the TV show. In fact, I don't think they shot a single zombie. The zombies seemed a lot more in the background, I thought. Maybe it was budget constraints.

Yup.

Spoiler

Lots of "vomit zombies" in the book, IIRC, plus more conflict with the CPM "gangster-security".