JohnC

The Expanse - officially saved by Amazon

10 hours ago, Spacehost said:

http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-drama-the-expanse-streaming-netflix-1201834745/

The Expanse is going to become a Netflix Original Series to all subscribers outside the US, Canada and New Zealand. Season 1 lands on November 3rd.

Great! Really want to watch this given the good 'proper scifi' buzz around it.  The lack of UK release was annoying.

I watched it, you know, "out there" because it wasn't available anywhere else and have been eager to buy it ever since to watch it properly, so this is even better!

Alcon Entertainment/ Legendary TV actually make it, Syfy US are only the US TV distributor. You'd think it's a Syfy show from how much they push it but they were just the ones who won the bidding war for the first season's TV & streaming rights.

Syfy UK is actually pretty odd; it's a franchise business and they have to pay for all their shows and movies, even stuff Syfy US produced or co-produced. Hence why stuff like Killjoys and The Magicians goes off to other networks in the UK and Syfy ends up broadcasting endless reruns of Sharknado 2.

• Upvote 2

It's a real slow burner, I'd say it's only from episode 4 that it really starts to build some momentum, because, well...

tumblr_o4xjxuEj231qj6sk2o3_500.gif

The last three episodes of the series kick it up a notch or five though.

• Upvote 3

I've started watching this since it's now on Netflix.  Having been looking forward to it, I felt first episode was a bit choppy. It was a bit disappointing given the positive buzz and the fact that serious space opera TV is pretty much non existent.

Glad that it started growing on me after the 2nd episode.  After EP3 I think I'm all in until the end of the series unless it goes downhill.

Watched the 1st 2 episodes o this last night and was instantly hooked, seems like a mixture of hard and soft Sci-Fi and would have binged the series probably if real life hadn't got in the way.

• Upvote 2

I'm six episodes in now.  Totally hooked. Best space based scifi in ages.

Random thoughts:

Thomas Jane can act and I didn't realise. Might watch Wash Day again.

Jared Harris is amazing as always.

Shohreh Aghdashloo's character is great.  I've not read the books but apparently they've introducted her early? Definitely the right call as she's really interesting.  Earth wouldn't have a character with any nuance at this point without her.

Good space helmets!  This is remarkably rare in TV.

No idea why ship interiors are so spacious.

The effects camera moves were annoying in several space scenes in the pilot.  This has settled down into awesomeness like Spacehost's gif above.  

No more sex so far. Good! It's kind of boring in TV these days.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

No idea why ship interiors are so spacious.

This is a bit of a bugbear amongst people who've read the books too. Basically, the answer is "so they can get cameras in". The extensive use of magnetic boots are also a bit of a contrivance for the show as in the books they're either strapped into a chair or floating around.

• Upvote 1

Haven't read any of the guy's (Corey?) books but loving this. Smashed through season 1 on Netflix in a few days. Unheard of for me. Proper sci-fi indeed, with ships that turn round and everything! 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Plums said:

Haven't read any of the guy's (Corey?) books but loving this. Smashed through season 1 on Netflix in a few days. Unheard of for me. Proper sci-fi indeed, with ships that turn round and everything! 

The sixth book is out in about three weeks, so I suspect a big sale on the ones that are out is coming. It's about six months late because the writers (Corey is a pseudonym) are very, very involved in the series, which I think shows.

Finished season 1.  What a great show.

I didn't think it was even possible to have proper space scifi on tele.  Looks like the Martian and Game of Thrones opened the door.  It's not that's it like a merge of the two, but it would be easy to pitch it that way to investors.

Not going to watch anything about season 2 but will probably read/watch anything I can on the making of.  This video with the Belter creator is great:

On 11/7/2016 at 08:39, monkeydog said:

Shohreh Aghdashloo's character is great.  I've not read the books but apparently they've introducted her early? Definitely the right call as she's really interesting.  Earth wouldn't have a character with any nuance at this point without her.

She's always great, whatever she's in.

I think her early introduction worked really well.

20 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I didn't think it was even possible to have proper space scifi on tele.  Looks like the Martian and Game of Thrones opened the door.  It's not that's it like a merge of the two, but it would be easy to pitch it that way to investors.

Andy Weir who wrote The Martian and the two halves of James SA Corey have kind of agreed they occupy the same timeline. They're probably going to try and shoehorn in some references to Mark Watney somewhere.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

Andy Weir who wrote The Martian and the two halves of James SA Corey have kind of agreed they occupy the same timeline. They're probably going to try and shoehorn in some references to Mark Watney somewhere.

Oh. Nice! Presumably a big mural on Mars saying "sciencing the shit out of our planet". :)

6 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

She's always great, whatever she's in.

I think her early introduction worked really well.

What I like about the casting is that they knew they couldn't have her swear as much as in the books, so they cast someone who could make her absolutely fucking terrifying without it.

• Upvote 3

This is fantastic, ploughed 4 eps back to back

decent production values and a proper sci fi feel

found ep1 a bit confusing with a lot going on but soon all settled into place and made sense, and its rattling along at a right pace

Watched the first three episodes over the weekend and I would say I'm powering through it, on the basis of recommendations from several places. They really could've done with slowing things down, it just feels really muddled at the moment. As a piece of world building it isn't exactly artful, it seems to just throw information at you to try and make the world and it's various factions seem more complex than they actually are. Still, it does show promise, and I can see how later episodes could be compelling with a little more focus.

I don't really understand why air and water are such scarce resources. Are they not recycled? Surely this is just a matter of how much energy you have to throw at the problem, and they seem to have that bit figured out.

I imagine if you had a growing population, or a big real estate boom (presumably if you were going to build a big housing block, one of the expenses would be the air to fill it) then you'd need to import these things, but you'd need to import a lot of other things too.

2 hours ago, Liamness said:

Watched the first three episodes over the weekend and I would say I'm powering through it, on the basis of recommendations from several places. They really could've done with slowing things down, it just feels really muddled at the moment. As a piece of world building it isn't exactly artful, it seems to just throw information at you to try and make the world and it's various factions seem more complex than they actually are. Still, it does show promise, and I can see how later episodes could be compelling with a little more focus.

I don't really understand why air and water are such scarce resources. Are they not recycled? Surely this is just a matter of how much energy you have to throw at the problem, and they seem to have that bit figured out.

Really it just gives the story some backbone, but my understanding is that basically everyone living on the station is paying the station for water and air, so while there's no true shortage the station is going to ration the hell out of it to save money on recycling and keep their bottom line healthy. They can also sell water as propellant mass for drives and all ships and stations probably have non-zero losses in air as a spaceport, so it's in their interests to flog it rather than keep it for the plebs.

Belters fucking hate people screwing with life support after two centuries building the Belt in dangerous circumstances, so riots about water and air aren't that unlikely.