The Expanse - Come for space, stay for Amos

I watched S4 just before Christmas. Whilst its always nice to get an Amos and (fucking) Avasarala hit I found this season to be rather lacklustre. Bobby's arc seemed to be particularly shite. Arjun's actor swap was a bit jarring too and a shame as I thought the other actor nailed the character. Ashford (David Strathairn) was a delight to watch and his Belter creole is second only to Drummer's. 

For the record I'm a dirty novel reader having finished the latest one a few months ago.

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

After a lot of people recommending it to me - I have watched about 5 of the first season of these... I'm kinda into the mystery... however I’m struggling to get past the bad acting and blandness of the main cast. It also looks super cheap. Does this any of this get better?

Yes, it gets better. Even by the end of SE1 it takes a massive jump in quality. Overall the acting in other subsequent seasons is better, though so of the cast are a bit wooden at times. 

4 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Nope.

Even from that opening swooping FX shot that took us through Ceres, I knew it would be good. That shot looked a bit dodgy in places, but the sheer ambition was evident. 

Any chance of getting Jared Harris back for S5 with the Bezos money?

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

After a lot of people recommending it to me - I have watched about 5 of the first season of these... I'm kinda into the mystery... however I’m struggling to get past the bad acting and blandness of the main cast. It also looks super cheap. Does this any of this get better?

Yeah keep on keeping on. It doesn't suddenly get amazing, it continually improves as it goes along throughout. 

I liked it from the start but I dropped off after a couple of episodes and eventually went back and enjoyed it a lot more. 

Something I've noticed, the "dodgy CG" you often hear about seems to look a lot better in 4K. They're going for realism and a lot of the textures etc are really detailed but barely visible on a dodgy download copy or even in 1080p. Saying that, there are SOME dodgy CG shots.

All of the cast improve as it goes along. I think it was smart to cast a bunch of unknowns for what could be a 9 season show, but it suffers a bit early on.

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Hide contents

I'll really miss Miller's appearances, assuming this is the last we'll ever see of him. Always looked forward to seeing Thomas Jane again.

Thomas Jane is directing some of season 5 :)

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Am I the only one who thought it was really good right from the start?

Nope, I thought it was good but as with any new series there's always a bit of bedding in. At the start I felt rather lost with all that was going on but you realise you're not supposed to get it all and you'll pick it up later. I can't even remember if I read the novel first or watched the show first... :blah:

Spoiler

Just finished the series and I still loved the Drummer and Ashford scenes the best. Naomi and Alex didn't really feel like they went anywhere. Naomi's Belter accent was still silly!

I'm also not usually an action fan but Ashford flying down the corridor and dual-wielding in zero gravity was impressive. Sad that he was spaced as I really could've watched a lot more of him helming his own ship. Looking forward to Drummer's revenge in S5.

I really hope we're going to follow Avasarala in S5, because Nancy Gao was bland, boring and really smug.

A step up from the later half of S3, but still overwrought. Other than "new worlds are scary and people suck" there wasn't much to say, and the message ended up repeated so often over 10 episodes it might has well have been a neon sign.

The Ashford/Drummer stuff was good (great chemistry between two very different characters) and the Earth stuff was quite dull. Even Avasvala couldn't save it. 

The aspect ration changes got really annoying/jarring.

Amos :wub:

On 13/04/2014 at 17:19, The Disco said:

If they make Space: Above and Beyond with tits, swearing and a big budget then you can count me in.

Yeeeeaaah!  Five years later and it's nearly there thanks to Amazon. 

No tits yet (it's been close), but the swearing and budget have certainly got there now.  I've really liked the show since the first episode, too - just so you all don't think I'm a complete degenerate philistine.

I just got through S4. I must have enjoyed it a bit as I binged the bulk of it.

But, I think what's missing is a mid-season massive change in the status-quo like the others did. Did S4 line up with a book?

As I've heard that the books have been crossing over seasons, and that's why you get what feels like a finale at weird places.

38 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

But, I think what's missing is a mid-season massive change in the status-quo like the others did. Did S4 line up with a book?

As I've heard that the books have been crossing over seasons, and that's why you get what feels like a finale at weird places.

It set up things from the next book but the stuff with the Rossi crew was most of book 4, I think the other stuff is from the next book.

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

Book 1 - all of S1 and up to S2 ep 5..

Spoiler

Eros impacts on Venus

Book 2 - the rest of S2 and up to  S3 ep 6

Spoiler

The protomolecule structure takes off from Venus

Book 3 - the rest of S3

Book 4 - all of S4

Plus there's some bits from the novellas added in there too.. Bobbie's S4 plot was somewhat adapted from one of these..

3 episodes in and loving it. Noticed some negativity about it being relatively slow, especially compared to the last couple of seasons, which I can understand. However... what people seem to be missing (and I get this won’t be apparent without book knowledge) is that the seeds being sewn for what is to come are pretty well played out. Makes me think Season 5 and beyond, god willing it doesn’t get hooked again, is going to be something truly special.

Anyway, it’s fucking brilliant. Amos is the star. The tension with with him and Murtry is done beautifully and I can’t wait to see how the off Ilus threads play out given what is to come. 

Please never stop making this show.

”How about now?....... I’m free right now?!”

:omg:

And done.

Weakest of the four series. Mars and Earth plot lines were dull. Belter plot line was okay, elevated hugely by Ashford and Drummer (which sounds like a soul act).

And as the A-story, the Ilus plot was a little thin and drawn out in places too.

Highlight was, of fucking course, Amos. It was great to see Miller again too. I was pleasantly surprised by Burn Gorman’s character and performance. And the space effects were beautiful.

Overall it was a 6/10 series for me (compared to a 7, 9, 9 for the first three).

Hopefully setting up a barnstorming S5.

On 18/12/2019 at 00:47, Strategos said:

Shit! For some reason I thought there were 13 episodes so unknowingly finished it then excitedly went to watch the next episode only to find it was over :facepalm:

I did the same thing.  Finished 10 a few days ago as i've been trying to pace myself with it.  Went to watch it and ... :(

Really enjoyed the series.  Will we get 5 end of this year?

Enjoying season 4 but flying through the episodes at the moment. The cliffhangers are all too good. Amos is still the star for me, great character brilliantly acted. 

it’s a bit different from the other series but that’s no bad think. Better than 95% of stuff I’ve watched recently

I also had terrible time getting into the 1st season and only recently went back to the expense.. on S2 E12 and I'm so happy I went back to it... 2nd season is so much better paced it's really keeping my interest...

Pretty disappointed with season 4, hard to care about most of the plot lines (which feel really padded out) and I really miss the 'Cold War' vibes and complexity of the first few seasons. 

Despite some rather cliched characters the early seasons felt clever and original, season four was generic and a bit dumb. Is it like GoT where they are running out of books, why the sudden fall in quality?

there's no drop in quality - if anything, they've slowed the pace of the show down as there's no immediate threat to its run anymore.  I thought series 4 was great.  Not as good as series 3 - but that was jam packed with an entire book condensed into half a series.

Hmm, I dunno series 4 had silly things in it like everyone going blind and then not because they found a magic solution, then there where the deadly slugs that suddenly weren't a problem and the stupid stuff about towing one space ship with another. And all the time its really obvious that at some point Miller will turn up and tell Holden what to do and that'd be that -- there was too much pointless inconsequential padding.

The Earth politics bits managed to be cliched, implausible and boring all at the same time -- basically unfunny Team America.

The stuff about Martian society collapsing without the unifying goal of making Mars habitable, was the only idea as interesting as the concepts in the earlier seasons. I would have liked more about Mars generally. Why are they just dismantling their ships when there are new worlds to discover and fight over? What's going on with their politics? 

I hope to hell Bobbi's tale improves in series 5, since she's one of the best characters and I want to see her in a power suit again kicking arse. Loved the line after she beat up the drug dealers: 'next time there won't be a next time.' Classic, although 'I could do another 4G standing on my head' remains her benchmark.

• JohnC changed the title to The Expanse - Come for space, stay for Amos