The Expanse - Come for space, stay for Amos

Finished series 2... definitely a series of two halves.  I'd say that series one really finished at episode 5 of series 2.  It took a wee bit of a dip for a few episodes after that but has picked up again... looking forward to getting torn right into series 3.

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Finished series 2... definitely a series of two halves.  I'd say that series one really finished at episode 5 of series 2.  It took a wee bit of a dip for a few episodes after that but has picked up again... looking forward to getting torn right into series 3.

Well exactly - that's the end of Book 1..

You'll get the same thing.. Book 2 will go through to ep6 of Season 3..

Book 3 is adapted quite efficiently into the remainder of Season 3 however..

Avasarala's actress didn't learn English until she was in her late 20's and moved to England from Iran.. Speech patterns from your native language are pretty deeply ingrained by that point.

I was actually thinking during this epsiode 'actually - they've turned the gore right down since that guy lost his head in series 1...' then theres a kid sitting over a body that's been turned practically inside out re-arranging all the parts.

holy shit!

I felt that season 1-2 Chrisjen radiates an energy of, with every sentence she speaks, having to gather the will-power to lower herself to talking to whoever she's talking to. Like a massive, sarcastic, invisible sigh.

27 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I'll be honest, the first few episodes of S3 are tame compared to the shit you're gonna see. It just escalates.

I dunno - IFF is probably my favourite episode of the season... but, yeah, it's consistently "holy shit".

7 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Season 3 has that weird episode about half way through when it just seems to restart.

Yeah, confused me - I had to check I hadn't missed an episode and then checked Wikipedia's episode summaries to work out what was going on. 

I'm enjoying it enough while half-watching it, but the only thing that I have read/watched that has such a sense of just making shit up as they go along is GoT*; and like a few others on here, I can't quite get over the crappy acting of that UN woman (or her child-catcher plastic nose). 

*The thing that messes with my OCD the most is the way the writers just change the rules about the protomolecule as they go along to meet the demands of whatever narrative strand they've just come up with off the top of their heads eg. at the beginning it is a super infectious zombie thing that will destroy the universe if anyone so much as looks at it; the next series it's just a thing that everyone seems to be messing around with whenever they want; in the episode I've just watched it's just a pretext for a bit of 2001-style space woo woo.

The protagonists in the show have no idea what the protomolecule actually is. The writers know exactly what it is, you are discovering its uses alongside the protagonists.

That's excellent planning, not made up off the top of their heads planning.

I like that the protomolecule stuff is being explored slowly, we've seen it being used in a few situations now, all different, and that keeps driving the story forward.

What I have really liked so far though is that most of the characters are massively self interested, even when they might believe that they are not. All the leaders of the 3 factions are incredibly unlikeable and annoying in their own ways, but you understand why they are that way. The crew of the Rosa and Bobbie are the only ones to break out of this pattern which is what gives us the people to empathise with, similar to the Starks in GoT. And they still have their flaws as well.

I thought Amos was going to become boring quickly, but I think he is an ace character, and the interplay with him and Alex is brilliant.

11 hours ago, Tourist said:

*The thing that messes with my OCD the most is the way the writers just change the rules about the protomolecule as they go along to meet the demands of whatever narrative strand they've just come up with off the top of their heads eg. at the beginning it is a super infectious zombie thing that will destroy the universe if anyone so much as looks at it; the next series it's just a thing that everyone seems to be messing around with whenever they want; in the episode I've just watched it's just a pretext for a bit of 2001-style space woo woo.

I'd suggest 'full watching' it then.

Just finished episode 6 of series 3... brilliant.

Amos 'I am that man' was FUCKING COOL

and 'What the fuck is that' while making the kids breakfast gave me a genuine LOL

but Bobbie's space-parkour vs the Hybrid was amazing.  What a show.

(just to be clear, I'm only half watching it because I've read the books, and I get that technically the different aspects of the protomolecule can be justified in universe; still, though, it feels cobbled together and contrived to me. But entertaining enough for me.)

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Just finished episode 6 of series 3... brilliant.

Amos 'I am that man' was FUCKING COOL

and 'What the fuck is that' while making the kids breakfast gave me a genuine LOL

but Bobbie's space-parkour vs the Hybrid was amazing.  What a show.

Now you've got another amazing arc to go through. It's SO GOOD.

incidentally - someone is building and documenting the full Belter Creole, with the help of the writers.  They're actually using that form of the creole in the show and not the one they use in the books, because the latter doesn't properly adhere to consistent linguistic rules.

17 minutes ago, PK said:

incidentally - someone is building and documenting the full Belter Creole, with the help of the writers.  They're actually using that form of the creole in the show and not the one they use in the books, because the latter doesn't properly adhere to consistent linguistic rules.

I think posted this a while ago. Ars did this interview with the language chap.

https://video.arstechnica.com/watch/all-things-gaming-ars-talks-with-the-creator-of-the-expanse-belter-creole-language

• JohnC changed the title to The Expanse - Come for space, stay for Amos