IGNORED

The Expanse - 1 Season remaining

JohnC

11 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I watched an episode last night where Bobby similarly looked at her phone and there was a message from “Freeman, G Dr”

edit: here it is!

E82352D5-D6F3-431E-B37A-0A37768F119B.thumb.jpeg.9f044f2b1815eae0348fa40dc90b36d1.jpeg

That's Private G Freeman. I don't know who that is. 

Every episode this season is achieving something very few shows deliver at this stage in their lifecycle. A pay-off for the slow burn, deep story elements that are starting to come to a head while also nailing the more immediate exciting and emotional moments. That was fantastic!

1 hour ago, NGINX said:
  Hide contents

So no more protomolcule?

Spoiler

I saw a clip somewhere that shows one of the torpedoes it launches before being destroyed had a blue flicker to it, which suggests that it may have been in that torpedo. It's a very subtle effect and easy to miss though.

6 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Hide contents

I saw a clip somewhere that shows one of the torpedoes it launches before being destroyed had a blue flicker to it, which suggests that it may have been in that torpedo. It's a very subtle effect and easy to miss though.

Spoiler

I'd be very suprised if that wasn't the plan. Flood their defences and sneak the pm off while they were distracted. 

The quality is outstanding. Still loving this. Wish they had CGed floaty tears in though, seems like an easy win.

1 hour ago, Strategos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'd be very suprised if that wasn't the plan. Flood their defences and sneak the pm off while they were distracted. 

The quality is outstanding. Still loving this. Wish they had CGed floaty tears in though, seems like an easy win.

Spoiler

I had thought that, but then it didn't make the self-destruct make sense. Unless it was to prevent the roci crew boarding and taking over control of the torpedo. I had wondered if they've launched it at their target in a last gasp effort..

I rewatched a few bits of it there and

Spoiler

One of the torpedoes doesn't turn back to the roci and instead you see the blue exhaust from it as it files away. 

Also, on Marco's map you can see all UN/MCRN ships/fleet groups pulling back to Mars / Earth and leaving the ring undefended. 

4 hours ago, NGINX said:

I rewatched a few bits of it there and

Hide contents

One of the torpedoes doesn't turn back to the roci and instead you see the blue exhaust from it as it files away. 

Also, on Marco's map you can see all UN/MCRN ships/fleet groups pulling back to Mars / Earth and leaving the ring undefended. 

Ah good spot. 

Continuing to sideline magic space himbo James Holden in favour of Naomi and Amos is doing great things for the show. He feels like a character who would be more interesting if we had better access to his internal monologue. :sherlock:

I love this show, but as much as it pains me, and I may be on my own with this but I think this might be the weakest series so far. 

There’s way too much of captain guyliner and his tedious punishment of Naomi, which was a boring story in the books and just as boring on screen. Her son is 1 dimensional. The belter terrorists are dull. Naomi’s old mates are cardboard cutouts. 

Meanwhile they’ve pretty much  glossed over the amazing stuff happening on earth with Amos. His arc in the book is fantastic, here it’s been little more than a few minutes, feels very much sidelined. 

It feels like a bit of a letdown, I was really looking forward to this series given how great the book is but it’s a bit flat and slow. 

The earlier series handled the pace really well, and it didn’t matter if nothing really happened because it was building to something. But something is here now and they are still plodding along when there’s so much going on, another episode full of the same boring conversation with Naomi seems like a waste. 

Having one a week is also dragging this series. 

I disagee with that, but then again, I quite like the 'slow' bits. I think this season has some of the best character work. From Amos and Naomi for sure, but Drummer is superb as well and Marcos is a great villain. The best villains are the ones that have a point and his charisma makes him all the more believable. I don't think Filip is one dimensional either, you can clearly see his strugge of wanting to be a strong Belter fighter for his father but also a son to his mother. And Cynn was definitely more than a cardboard cut-out. 
I'm a bit sad there's only three epiosdes left because what else is gonna fill that hole of quality sci-fi this year?

He's mis-cast, the actor isn't really conveying all that much inner turmoil. Filip has been instrumental in killing millions of people at the behest of a bullying father, but he just looks mildly confused all the time.

@And I've been looking forward to this particular season for years too, and it's not delivered what I was hoping for. I'm enjoying it for what it is though, it's still fantastic sci-fi with (mostly!) brilliant characterisation.

It does seem like this season would have benefited from being able to watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time, given how much time they're dedicating to each of the different strands.