rllmuk
Lorfarius

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

It's terrible.

You don't want it.

You should sell it to me on the cheap, just to get rid.

Ho ho.

I'm going to sleep with it under my pillow tonight.

Alpine games is supposed to be excellent

Well, it's winging its way here. Looking forward to getting it.

Played Chequered Flag again yesterday, but got frustrated at how unfair it is when the car behind bumps you and leaves you at such a disadvantage. I won three races, then came last in the fourth, having been first for much of the race. The Lynx equivalent of the blue shell.

Quite a collection you're building up. Going for a full set?

I'm not, personally - the bad games really are rubbish. I think Pitfighter is supposed to be about the worst. even if it looks good.

The graphics on the Lynx really are surprisingly good, for its age.

Didn't realise Desert Strike went for so much. I have boxed copies of that and Lemmings from back in the mid 90's.

I sold my boxed copies of Desert Strike and Lemmings recently for ~£120. It's surprising they're worth so much now. I never did think much of Desert Strike but the Lemmings port was fantastic.

Quite a collection you're building up. Going for a full set?

Yep :) There's only around 80 official titles and I've got about 30 already so prolly get them all by the end of the year. I've also started collecting the Lynx Pin badges, got 4 so far.

Agreed - the Lemmings port was spot on. Probably the best game I played in the Lynx in lots of ways. Used to be available for £9.99 as well back in the day if I remember rightly. I really need to dig my Lynx stuff out of the loft.

I got one for train journeys back in the early 90's and had a fair few games for it. Pretty certain I had some duplicates in there too which I'll dig out and offer up for sale/trade.

Great system technically but while some of the games were great a lot of them for me were "Atari" style as opposed to be more Japanese flavour of game design that you saw on Sega/Nintendo/SNK/Hudson systems etc nothing wrong with that of course but appealed to me a lot less. Not sure if that makes sense or not and obviously some of the best games see arcade ports. Having said that a great game is a great game no matter the system.

Today is a beautiful day. Just got home from work to find two packets waiting for me. The first containing Toki, Gauntlet and Batman. The second, STUN Runner and Pac Land. I know what I'm doing this afternoon. Beats work I suppose :)

I was offered a cart only version of Pacland for £15. I ummed and aahed a bit but decided to wait I'm sure a boxed copy will appear on eBay eventually! Thanks to Nathan Gates of Zendacon arrived today alongside Dracula.

1277536_10152119804873697_54812848789959

I'm spending way too much on the system! Need to cut back a bit but I've got my eye on the car charger and battery pack, both boxed cheapily on eBay at the moment.

I was offered a cart only version of Pacland for £15. I ummed and aahed a bit but decided to wait I'm sure a boxed copy will appear on eBay eventually! Thanks to Nathan Gates of Zendacon arrived today alongside Dracula.

1277536_10152119804873697_54812848789959

I'm spending way too much on the system! Need to cut back a bit but I've got my eye on the car charger and battery pack, both boxed cheapily on eBay at the moment.

Yep, that's a bit much for cart only. I bought a boxed Pac Land off klargon for £20 - I'd be hoping for around half that, cart only!

I'm spending too much on it too, but I don't care. I'm enjoying it more than any other retro system I've bought - I'm actually using it. It's miraculous! I'm currently trying to sort out a flashed PSP to take care of my limited retro interest in other systems via emulation, but I'm loving having the original hardware and carts for the Lynx.

Toki is just as brilliant as I remeber it being, btw. A little more slowdown than I remembered, but still great. The graphics and music are fantastic.

Really want to know how that Dracula game plays when you have time to post some comments.

How about some top five Lynx games? Here's mine:

1. Zarlor Mercenary

2. Viking Child

3. Warbirds

4. Steel Talons

5. Electrocop

Honourable mentions to Double Dragon and Bllue Lightning, the latter in particular for its fantastic visuals. I've heard good things about Chips' Challenge but never really played it, so couldn't include it.

• Upvote 1

Raiden will be hard to come by. Big Al had it, but for more than I wanted to pay for it.

There was one sold on ebay on the 8th of April for £17, which I thought was cheap. I was expecting it to cost a fortune - might have to put it on my list! I really really want Lemmings, but Thirty-odd quid for a cart only copy is too steep for me. I'd pay that for a boxed one for sure.

In other news, I now have Paperboy on the way which looks like a good conversion in the videos I watched. £6 BiN on fleabay, can't be bad!

This evening's job is to attack all my Lynx games with a cotton bud dipped in electrical contact cleaner. Joy. I might even strip the Lynx and do the cartridge bay if I'm feeling frisky.

Also, a top five at the moment would be -

1 - Warbirds

2 - Toki

3 - Rygar

4 - Awesome Golf

5 - Xybots

Subject to change as I pick up more games though!

I've mentioned my love for Warbirds and Xybots previously and that Rygar was growing on me, but that's an understatement. It's really good. A solid challenge, and so smooth to play. Lovely big colourful sprites and reasonable tunes, but I'll be damned if I don't still get caught out by enemies and holes merging with the backgrounds from time to time even now, despite playing it almost daily. Awesome Golf is really good for such an early golf game. It looks nice and plays well but the best thing is it absolutely does no hand-holding. Relying on your own club choices makes it a real challenge (unless I'm missing something). My caddy never seems to have any hints for me.

Toki is fabulous. I read a review of it the other day where some dude says it has adequate sound effects and music. What a dickbag - it has some of the best effects for a game of its type I reckon, and the tunes are catchy as hell! Really nice animation, quirky interesting characters, big bosses and generally smooth play despite the odd patch of slowdown. It's generous with the continues as well, which I appreciate given my advancing age. I walk around the house replicating the shooting noise Toki makes - BEEEOW.

Awesome Golf isn't bad but there were definitely more advanced golf games preceding it. The Leaderboard games for eg. Club selection with only the manual telling you distances was a thing back then. I had all the Leaderboard ones memorised :D

This evening's job is to attack all my Lynx games with a cotton bud dipped in electrical contact cleaner.

I already cleaned some of the games I sent you.

Stuck the remainder of my Lynx collection in the trading thread, if anyone's interested.

Yeah. I bought Lemmings, Dinolympics and SuperSkweek. They were all in mint condition and I'd def use him again, I was told about him on a Facebook Atari Lynx group which he's been a member of for years and has loads of recommendations. Arrived pretty quickly too within 2 days.

I've just ordered a load of a Lynx games. Good work on this thread guys - much prefer reading about people actually enjoying retro games than the usual rare-collect-o-fests.

Spent a fair bit of time playing Rygar last night. My only criticism would be that it takes a while before it presents any kind of challenge. Would be nice if you could skip the first few levels.

I did find a level skip cheat online that requires pressing a combination of buttons in a particular spot on each level. Of course, it doesn't mention where that spot is :/

Some quick views on what I've played this past week:

Been playing Dinolympics all day, a very, very good conversion of Humans. Music is spot on and its surprising just how good it looks when compared to the Gameboy edition. Can be a bit expensive on eBay but I'd put it up there as one of my favs.

Lemmings - You know you are in for something special when you hear "Lets go!" in the intro and that brilliant intro vid. The music is spot on the scrolling during levels is as quick as you could expect. I also found it to control pretty well the options for each Lemming is held on a full screen menu (tap B) which freezes while you select one. I can see why this is seen as one of if not the best game for the system, its glorious :lol: I remember playing Lemmings on an Acorn back in the early 90's and it looked nowhere near as good as this.

SuperSkweek - A bit of a meh colour the blocks puzzler with some action thrown in. I played it for awhile but found it all a bit boring, not a bad game just not very interesting.