rllmuk
Lorfarius

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

You mean you already have enough Shanghai games. I doubt there are many, if any at all, Mahjong games on the Lynx.

I'm still hoping for one on the 3DS eShop but no - they're all Shanghai :(

The Lynx was one of the only handhelds i never really played. I had a friend with one, but he never let me play it (probably due to the Amiga - Atari fanboys we were) and the only time i got my hand on one (boot sale) it turned out not to work!

Some of the games certainly looked interesting, but most seemed like ports of other games i'd already played. Might have to check this system out a bit more on an emulator or so.

Since last posting, California Games and Awesome Golf have arrived and are both excellent. I've just found a website with some very reasonably priced carts (Consolemad.co.uk) so I've just ordered Toki (an old fave), Batman and Gauntlet. I seem to have accidentally purchased a retro machine I'm really enjoying using.

• Upvote 1

unnamed_zps3cbe63a6.jpg

New deliveries today, managed to get the system bag (just £9) and console box. Mine didn't have one so thought this was a bargain for £5. Also had Gauntlet arrive but it was absolutely filthy, gave it a good scrub down with isopropryl and its as good as new!

Desert Strike arrived from Telegames today and I'm pretty disappointed in the overall quality considering it cost £64 in total. The cart is a repro which I was expecting however the box is on cheap thick cardboard and the ink isn't the best. The actual manual is disgusting its a misaligned printed document on a black/white printer which has been trimmed down and stuck with a couple of staples.

Christ, that's really poor. Not exactly cheap, either. Someone paid a lot less for my original copy, which had a brand new box and manual. The game is good, at least.

I won't be bothering with them again I know that for sure. I was hoping to pick up Double Dragon come pay day as that's pretty rare/expensive on eBay but it will just be the same. Back to eBay for me!

Yep, Double Dragon was the main one I wanted. Alpine Games too, but there's no way I'm forking out £100 on tat like that. There are a few threads about the poor quality of their repro games on Atari Age too. I'll keep my eyes peeled for them cropping up on ebay at reasonable prices but I'm not holding out much hope of that.

Changing the subject slightly, I've been using Duracell Ultra Power batteries in my Lynx and I've played it for over ten hours so far and their little power check bar is still showing a slightly over half full guage. Not bad!

• Upvote 1

I'm holding out for a decently priced power adaptor on eBay too. Amazon have an official one for about £13, which isn't too bad, but I can wait. I'm currently the high bidder on a fleabay Lynx lot of 14 games, a carry case and a PSU so fingers crossed. The price is good at the moment but no doubt it'll go crazy towards the close of the auction as usual.

There's a cartridge only version of Double Dragon Ebay Aus at the moment but that's around £50. It's like gold dust :(

I sold my copy to some bloke on a trailer park in the states for about £80 on eBay. Fully complete and all that, but this was a couple of years back. Desert Strike I sold for about £35.

Didn't realise Desert Strike went for so much. I have boxed copies of that and Lemmings from back in the mid 90's. Then again I guess no Lynx games are massively common so it makes sense. Great system though - love the ability to flip

Didn't realise Desert Strike went for so much. I have boxed copies of that and Lemmings from back in the mid 90's. Then again I guess no Lynx games are massively common so it makes sense. Great system though - love the ability to flip

Well hello there. I'm after both of those if you want to sell them!

Looks in nice condition! When was the last time you had a play on it?

Last night :)

Hadn't touched it for at least five years before that :(

I was surprised by the screen. I had it in my mind that the screen was terrible, but considering it's age, it's not bad at all. Spent a fair bit of time playing Xybots which is really good and looks ace. Also had a bash on Rygar and Slime World which I really enjoyed but after a while started to wonder what the point of the game is.

I had a model 1 Lynx as well years ago but sold it when I needed some cash.