rllmuk
Lorfarius

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

Well, in the immortal words of John McClane.....now I have an Atari Lynx collection, ho-ho-ho!

001.jpg

Cheers klargon!

Edit - nuts...it seems I bought the Australian version of Checkered Flag. Are these region free?

• Upvote 1

I found out why Dirty Larry was still new and sealed. Terrible game that. The surprise of the lot is Xybots. I never did play it in the arcade or when I originally had a Lynx, and it doesn't come across too well in videos, in my opinion. It plays really nicely though - looks and sounds great and the Lynx doesn't break a sweat. Have also enjoyed playing Rampart again after all these years. It was always a Lynx fave. So sad there was never a conversion of North & South.

I'm taking the afternoon off, so I'll be getting stuck into them all. Let's get some games natter going on in here. Any recommendations to start with? Also if anyone wants to trade something for Dirty Larry, let me know. It's really good, honest!

Chequered Flag lets you choose the sex of your driver.

I didn't realise this the first time I played. Must have set it to female. Was surprised after the race when a man without much on came and kissed my character after the race.

• Upvote 1

I will be interested in your thoughts about Warbirds.

It's really good. Shows off the power of the hardware really nicely in that it reminds me of some of the earlier Atari ST flight games. The little touches like stalling the engine for a faster left turn are great and really add to the atmosphere along with the barrel rolls and loop-the-loops making you feel like a bi-plane pilot. Bugger me it's hard though. Really really difficult on anything other than Milk Run. Even the next one up, Red Baron is punishing. It's so hard to shake him if he gets your tail. With collisions turned on it's also very difficult to get clean shots on the enemy without running into them, as I imagine it probably would have been in real bi-plane combat. I haven't dared try limited ammo yet - the thought of having to land the plane fills me with fear. I'll definitely stick with this one. I want to get good at it.

I also played a fair bit of Rygar. It's nice and responsive with good, big, colourful sprites and some quality parallax scrolling going on. Again though (showing its arcade heritage) it's really difficult. Especially the rope climbing bits which are just horrible. I do find the backgrounds sometimes make it hard to distinguish platforms from gaps at times too. Too much orangey brown happening. I like it though.

Aaaand Checkered Flag - it's pretty cool. I like those old-school racing games (I was addicted to Continental Circus as a youngster) and it's nice to have plenty of options to tinker with. I don't think it's anything special for a game of this type, but it's solid and fun. Loving the digitised speech.

• Upvote 1

Just had a good bash on Switchblade II. I'm on the fence with this one - requires more time. I remember it being a favourite first time around, but I wasn't feeling it this afternoon. I got further than I ever got as a teenager, but I suspect my tolerance for unavoidable flying enemies at the bottom of ladders and spikes that are invisible until you stand on them, has dwindled with age. It's not overly difficult because it compensates for that shit by throwing lots of health at you, but I object to old-school cheating gameplay. It definitely looks good and plays well, but the lack of sound effects (edit to clarify - it has effects, just not many of them) and in-game music hurts it and makes it feel sort of empty. It's smooth enough and responsive, and the collision detection seems fair. I also didn't encounter any overly precise platforming requirements in the 45 mins or so I played, whcih is another pet peeve of mine. I definitely prefer the overall aesthetic design of the original Switchblade though with its smaller sprites, but cleaner graphics and more of the level visible on-screen. I think the first game would have looked amazing on the Lynx.

I'm definitely not done with it yet, but it's gone on the 'maybe' list for now.

Edit - I mean, look how beautiful Switchblade is on the Amstrad for example. It would have made for an excellent Lynx conversion. Much better than Switchblade 2.

• Upvote 1

Edit - I mean, look how beautiful Switchblade is on the Amstrad for example. It would have made for an excellent Lynx conversion. Much better than Switchblade 2.

Yeah, I said I preferred the style of the first, upthread:

For the game art, I preferred the super-deformed style of 1; never beat it, mind.

I played it quite a bit, but it was a war of attrition - never got much past the long slog back leftward - from the looks of maps out there, I must have been half to two-thirds of the way through. That was on the ST version, which was quite nice.

The frustrating thing is they had all that power with the Lynx and could have really gone to town on a proper sequel. Instead its a pretty run of the mill platformer with a long and very boring opener.

I had APB arrive in the post today, loved it in the arcade so high hopes it plays well. Also bought RoadBlasters and Robo Squash as they were going cheap on eBay.

It's really good. Shows off the power of the hardware really nicely in that it reminds me of some of the earlier Atari ST flight games. The little touches like stalling the engine for a faster left turn are great and really add to the atmosphere along with the barrel rolls and loop-the-loops making you feel like a bi-plane pilot. Bugger me it's hard though. Really really difficult on anything other than Milk Run. Even the next one up, Red Baron is punishing. It's so hard to shake him if he gets your tail. With collisions turned on it's also very difficult to get clean shots on the enemy without running into them, as I imagine it probably would have been in real bi-plane combat. I haven't dared try limited ammo yet - the thought of having to land the plane fills me with fear. I'll definitely stick with this one. I want to get good at it.

I also played a fair bit of Rygar. It's nice and responsive with good, big, colourful sprites and some quality parallax scrolling going on. Again though (showing its arcade heritage) it's really difficult. Especially the rope climbing bits which are just horrible. I do find the backgrounds sometimes make it hard to distinguish platforms from gaps at times too. Too much orangey brown happening. I like it though.

Aaaand Checkered Flag - it's pretty cool. I like those old-school racing games (I was addicted to Continental Circus as a youngster) and it's nice to have plenty of options to tinker with. I don't think it's anything special for a game of this type, but it's solid and fun. Loving the digitised speech.

Yes, Warbirds is tricky. I used to be able to clear Pair of Aces on minimum damage (easiest setting apart from unlimited) when I first had it. Now I can do dual teamed if I get a good starting point.

Chequered flag is a good laugh - better than Super Monaco on GG and less punishing than F1 Race on Gameboy

I do hope someone gets Zarlor Mercenary soon,

Awesome Golf is supposed to be an excellent game. I've heard great things about it.

Quite an impressive collection you're building up by the sound of it.

Anyone disagree with me that nothing beats Blue Lightning for graphics? Even if the gameplay is good but not great, that is.

Spent sometime playing APB last night and I'm a bit... meh about it. It looks fantastic and for a handheld port captures the arcade cab perfectly but controls are a bit tough. You need to press one button to accelerate and the other to use your siren (for pulling over bad guys) except I find the Lynx buttons are just too far apart. It often leaves you letting off the accelerator to use the siren which is a no go when the game becomes frantic so a little frustrating.

I'm slowly putting Youtube gameplay vids back up again, its really got me back into playing retro again.

I didn't like APB at the time, but I'd like to give it another go. Am currently looking for that, PacLand, California Games and Rygar.

I didn't like APB at the time, but I'd like to give it another go. Am currently looking for that, PacLand, California Games and Rygar.

I can trade you my boxed APB for something if you want. I'm not keen on it.

Rygar has grown on me. It's a really nice example of its type, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it. It's so bold and responsive - just nice to play. I still find the sprites get a bit lost on some of the backgrounds but that's my only criticism. It puts Scrapyard Dog to shame as a run & jumper.

I played quite a bit of Todd's Adventures in Slime World earlier too, but I just don't get it. Some people seem to like it a lot, and it turns up in all sorts of 'top Lynx games' type lists on forums etc, but it just seems really boring. I get that it's a Metroid style game and all about the xplorations, but I must have played it for a good hour and it was a case of wander through tunnels, shoot the same enemies over and over, get covered in slime, wash it off and pick stuff up. Rinse and repeat. It also has some horrible slow-down in places. Am I missing something? Does it get better?

I've played a fair bit more of Checkered Flag too, and it's also growing on me. It's really fast, and lost of fun when you crank up the driver numbers, trying to squeeze past them on such narrow tracks.

• Upvote 1

I've been on Roadblasters this afternoon which is a pretty good racing/shooter and can understand why its seen as one of the best. I've also been looking at getting a copy of Daemon's Gate but there's not much info on it online at least not telling what sort of content it has for an unfinished prototype. Anyone played it? I can grab a copy for £50 but I can pick up Desert Strike for about the same so just not sure what to go for first.

Roadblasters looks good. That's going on my wanted list for sure.

The games I've got are quite a mixed bag. I think I'll fire a good bunch of them up on eBay as they're doing nothing for me.

There are a load of games I want though, chiefly Toki, Zarlor Mercenary, Lemmings, Double Dragon, Gauntlet and Shadow of the Beast.

The games I'm looking to get rid of are -

Dirty Larry

Scrapyard Dog

APB

Gates of Zendocon

Todd's Adventures in Slime World

All boxed (edit, except Todd's), if anyone is interested let me know. They'll be heading for eBay during the week.

I've also been playing around with a bit of C++ and a Lynx Emulator using this guide:

Link

Actually got it to show Hello World. Going to see what else I can do with over time :lol: but guess I'll have to buy a flash cart for it soon!

Just spent ages playing Warbirds and it's fantastic. I'm definitely getting better. I can consistently clear the first three missions now with minimal damage settings on flight sim mode. Any higher on the damage scale seems a big ask with my current piloting ability! I still can't cope with collisions, simply because the AI closes me down and harasses me so closely collisions mean insta-death. Dunno if there's any way to play it successfully with them turned on, but I can't see how it would be possible. The next step will be turning off unlimited ammo! This is absolutely the star of the show so far for me. I'm astonished it passed me by back in the day.

Lorfarius, how are you finding Steel Talons? I watched a couple of videos of it and wrote it off, but I'm starting to think it might be worth a punt.

I've already got a few Mahjong games, I don't need another no matter how good it is! I've been looking at Lynx game vids on youtube and my list of wants has expanded massively :(

Alpine Games looks fantastic. Anyone got it?