rllmuk
Lorfarius

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

Yeah they're absolute shite on batteries.  Surprisingly they seem quite a bit more efficient with the new LCD screens fitted, but I still plug mine in when it's in the house.

I'm finding Eneloop batteries quite good.  For both the Lynx and the Gamegear.

Although I'm generally ready to switch them off after about a hour maximum.  No games are going to grab me for longer than that these days.

On 09/05/2020 at 03:53, Tomcat said:

Couple of new purchases.

Had a play on Cybervirus.  It's spectacular.  Unbelievable that it runs on a handheld from 1989.

96216886_10221703124943193_3403019351601709056_o.jpg

What sort of price are they coming in at @Tomcat? Are they easy to get hold of?

5 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I'm finding Eneloop batteries quite good.  For both the Lynx and the Gamegear.

Although I'm generally ready to switch them off after about a hour maximum.  No games are going to grab me for longer than that these days.

I use them for my Oculus Quest too. Very good high end batteries, they just last in last compared to everything else.

Remnant is quite good, but there are better games on the Lynx.  Not really worth the money.  For collectors only.

23 hours ago, Butters said:

What sort of price are they coming in at @Tomcat? Are they easy to get hold of?

Telegames have them.

• Upvote 1

Tournament Cyberball arrived today.

I'm now up to 55 Lynx games.

• Upvote 2

Picked up Dirty Larry.  It's far from great, but the graphics are nice.

Taking months to arrive, Zaku and Raiden finally turned up today.  I'm annoyed that Raiden isn't in a proper box, but anyway.

100791092_10221957269296643_2836640725788000256_o.jpg

Raiden is very hard on the Lynx.  Those ships that give out the power-ups don't fire very often in other versions, but here they fire like there's no tomorrow.

see, I don't rate Zaku that highly. The character is way to big, I found the collision detection a little ropey and the enemy waves were quite bland. I think I gave it 65% when it came out and the Atari Age forum was baying for my blood. The last time I upset a group of gamers like that was when I gave the original Lego Star Wars 4/10 for gamestm :lol:

• Upvote 1

I had a quick play on Zaku last night, and I can agree with the first two of Strider's criticisms, but the graphics are excellent and full of charm.  There isn't much in the way of scrolling shooters on the Lynx, and Zaku is much better than Gates of Zendecon.  But of the vertical shooters, Zarlor Mercenary is better than Raiden.

What an amazing graphics powerhouse the Lynx was.  I'd really struggle to do a top five Lynx games in terms of visuals, even if some of them don't quite have top notch game play.

I can't understand why Gates and Zarlor are so highly rated amongst Lynx owners, they're both dreadful, bland never ending snooze-a-rama's.  On the other hand, I'm a big fan of Raiden and Zaku :lol:

Collision in the latter does definitely have it's moments, but it's not bad enough to spoil it.

I agree about Gates, but I really like Zarlor Mercenary.  The choosing a character with a permanent power-up was a great idea.  The second level is a bit eye-melting but overall the visuals are great and it's really impressive to see so many enemies moving around and casting shadows without any slowdown.

At the time there were no other shooters on the system, and Zarlor Mercenary didn't have much in the way of competition on the Game Boy, with Solar Striker being just about the best vertical shooter.  I rarely played Gates, as I preferred Nemesis and Parodius.

Sorry @Tomcat when I say the enemy waves are bland I don’t mean they look ugly, I just meant they’re not challenging or interesting in the way they attack you.

i would love to own a Lynx again, but prices are now getting silly.

robotron, roadblasters, stun runner, toki, rampart, Klax. So many great arcade conversions.

Oh, I see.  I didn't notice that - was busy trying to keep my rather too large character out of trouble.  I'll look at that when I play it tonight.

Still, I'm just happy to have them.  They were posted on about March 27th and finally arrived yesterday.  I had given up on them.

Anyone know if a properly packaged Raiden exists?  Hate that CD case among the Lynx boxes. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, strider said:

see, I don't rate Zaku that highly. The character is way to big, I found the collision detection a little ropey and the enemy waves were quite bland. I think I gave it 65% when it came out and the Atari Age forum was baying for my blood. The last time I upset a group of gamers like that was when I gave the original Lego Star Wars 4/10 for gamestm :lol:

Good job you don't review Jaguar games.  What?!!  2/10 for Bubsy? TOP OF THE LIST!

Atari Age is a proper hive of scum and villainy, I'm surprised you made it out alive at all.

I'm liking Raiden much more now.  I still think the power-up carrying ships fire too often, but on the other hand, the max-level power-ups appear more often.

It's rather uncomfortable holding the Lynx portrait mode for a long play through.

Wonder why your ship is blue here, when every other version I've ever seen has a red one.

On 09/05/2020 at 18:06, strider said:

Does anyone have the winter sports homebrew game? That always looked amazing.

Just got it.

Very impressed so far.  Much more accessible than California Games, in which I could only ever do anything right in the surfing.

Going to write a full review on here soon.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Just got it.

Very impressed so far.  Much more accessible than California Games, in which I could only ever do anything right in the surfing.

Going to write a full review on here soon.

I've always wanted to own that when I was a Lynx owner but it now sells for over £100 whenever I see it on eBay :(

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.