Lorfarius

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

Picked up this little beauty this week with a pile of games:

photo1_zps9eecfc49.jpg

Also bought a few games from Trading and waiting for Klargon to come back with some prices on a big list of games :)

Spent a couple of hours playing Viking Child which is a strange mix of RPG and platformer. Bit slow but reminds me of Wonderboy 3 Dragons Trap (just nowhere near as good!) and worth the few quid I splashed out on it. Its been a couple of years since I've collected anything properly and to be honest I'd walked away from it all but the Lynx drew me back in thanks to it having a pretty small library so shouldn't be too difficult to complete a full collection. I really want to get my hands on a Lynx carry case soon as its just been shoved in a cardboard box for the time being :lol:

Been looking around the web and one game that's really caught my eye is a proto type release of Eye of the Beholder, looks incredible considering when it was due to be released. Lots of surprises ahead I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

It's a strange console. You fire it up and end up being surprised by the age of the games, as the technology seems more modern than it is. Don't get me wrong, even the Lynx 2 is huge, but it's a decent piece of kit. Most of the proper retail games can be picked up for cheap, although I did sell a copy of Double Dragon for £100 and Desert Strike for about £40, so there are some more pricey titles.

Not that I want to limit my ability to shift my collection, but Big Al's thread in trading has some interesting rare games, and some decently-priced more common games.

Switchblade cover art is a classic.

For the game art, I preferred the super-deformed style of 1; never beat it, mind.

I also picked up II on the Lynx (still have it).

Electrocop is a great little game if you can find it too. its got computer terminals in game with minigames on it. plus some crazy 3dness in it.

• Upvote 1

I must dig my games out; I thought I had Electrocop, but don't recall the minigames.

Roadblasters, Chips Challenge and Xenophobe were my go-to games on the Lynx. Gauntlet, to an extent.

Oh, and Klax. The missus still says 'Klax Wave' when getting something right; the sound on that conversion was fantastic.

For the game art, I preferred the super-deformed style of 1; never beat it, mind.

I also picked up II on the Lynx (still have it).

Half of the 16 bit games I never completed either.

There are quite a few stinkers on the lynx but also a few gems that are worth checking out too.

Todds adventures in slime world is one of the best games on the system and well worth checking out. Theres also shadow of the beast which is modified slightly from the amiga release that is impressive, you have switchblade 2 which i remember having a lot of fun with back in the day.

Other stuff: Warbirds, Roadblasters, California Games

I too recently purchased an Atari Lynx again.

You can see the images here

http://www.retrogamer.net/why_i_love/74823/atari-lynx-2/

I feel in love with the machine when it first came out, but soon realised I backed the wrong horse when all my friends had Game Boys.

The vast amount of original software wasn't always amazing and it desperately needed the support of Japanese developers (and Western developers for that matter) but the arcade ports were superb. It's probably got some of the most impressive conversions around (particularly when you consider the power of some of the other consoles and computers of the time). Roadblasters, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Land, STUN Runner, Klax, Rampart, Super Off Road, Joust, Robotron, Toki... It just goes on and on.

A lovely machine and I really regret selling it the first time around. I don't think I'm going to go for a boxed collection, but considering I already have around 20 games, there's plenty missing that I feel to be essential, I've just spunked too much money on games and accessories this month to justify chasing after them all.

• Upvote 1

Oooh, didn't know it had a version of Joust - nor Asteroids/Missile command.

Joust I would have gone for in a heartbeat. It's one of those games I just like the mood of; nothing quite like it around at the time.

I loved the Lynx. It was my first handheld. When all my mates were playing on their Game Boys I was revelling in magnificent full colour arcade games. It'll always hold a special place in my gaming heart and now I'm going to have to buy one you swines.

Edit - anyone wanna do a swapsies of my amazing backlit Game Boy Color collection (loads of games) for their Lynx collection? X

I need to get one of these, I always lusted after one but was embarrassed to admit to wanting one, and plus it was too expensive for me.

I totally loved my Lynx. It wasn't the popular choice, and games were massively hit-or-miss, but it was an impressive machine- some very powerful sprite scaling and a cute sound chip.

My Lynx was probably a bit of a rarity in that I'd found another Lynx owner and we'd connected them together. Todd's Adventures in Slime World and Xenephobe were favourites. I think the latter allowed player 2 to be the bad guys.

I liked that they were experimental with the games - one of them (Klax? Chip's Challenge?) has a mandelbrot generator in it somewhere, and Gates of Zendocon had a couple of trippy hidden levels. Electrocop was excellently off-beat too.

Plus, the first version came with California Games, which was a brilliantly upbeat knock-about collection.

My first experience of playing one was when the Atari Train arrived in town. It parked up on one of the platforms in Victoria Station and was packed full of Lynxes, STs, TTs, and maybe the odd Falcon...? (oh, just noticed I posted about it five years back!)

Oh, I'm getting emotional. Please excuse me while I *sniff* go throw six AAs into the bin :(

• Upvote 2

Had some fun testing the games tonight that Lorfarius is buying from me. All of them booted up straight away without even the need to clean contacts. Klax was the highlight, but I had a laugh starting fights in Hockey and finding that European Soccer Challenge barely acknowledges you scoring a goal (it also has 3 arrows pointing to the active player, rather than just one, for some odd reason). The hardware really seems to have stood the test of time - the console itself has held up much better than the Game Gear in terms of reliability and the carts/cards all seem fine.

I never owned a Lynx when they were out. It's crazy to think I was seeing it in shops when I was still buying C64 games. Because I don't have that much of a nostalgic bond with it, I'm willing to part with the collection if anyone happens to be looking for a console and/or some games. A lot of the games I have are still sealed.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I have read that the sound has gone on quite a few game gears, whereas Lynxes have no such problem.

Amazed nobody else has mentioned Zarlor Mercenary. For me it has the best graphics on the system. Lots of sprites moving around with their shadows on the ground, and not a hint of slow down. Even better than Blue Lightning.

I'll put a picture of what I have up at the weekend

Went on a bit of a spending spree this week as mentioned earlier. Picked up a nice pile of games with quite a few new and sealed. Heard that quite a few people go to retro events and take their kit with them along with the ComLynx cables for multiplayer so I'll be dragging it all along with me at some point.

unnamed_zps572a697e.jpg

• Upvote 3

Here's what I've got. Lynx 2, case which looks to be the same as Lorf's, and some games. Of the games, all are playable except Ninja Gaiden III, which is rubbish. I have sealed backup copies of my two favorite games, Viking Child and Zarlor Mercenary (I may have mentioned I like this game). If anyone has a spare PacLand or California Games for sale, let me know.

post-11038-0-33605900-1397380328_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

What's wrong with Ninja Gaiden III? It looks like a straight port of the NES game from what I've heard (and what happened to NG 2?!)

Also has anyone tried replacing the capacitors in a Lynx before? Mine doesn't seem too bad with the odd fading brightness when you first switch it on, few lines appearing right across the screen too which disappear soon enough. Would the caps fix that?

Just found it rubbish and unplayable, and most reviews that I have read agree. Haven't played Ninja Gaiden, but have read that it's much better. Don't think the Lynx got any other Ninja Gauden games.