IGNORED

Rare "Who Dares Wins" C64 cassette dilema ....

MikeBeaver

Right, hope this is the right section to put this in, it's retro related and don't know where else it would fit.

It has come to my attention that I have a rather rare, first print of the unreleased / pulled by legal action game "Who dares wins" by Alligata software for the C64.

I was going to auction a bundle of C64 games I randomly picked up at a bootsale a few weeks back and a few people asked for more pics and if I was willing to sell it on it's own.

One guy offered me upwards of £70, so now I am wondering....would you go for the straight forward sale or leave it to a chance auction?

I usually get quite annoyed with buyers who put in low-ball offers, trying to get stuff off you for a steal, but this guy seems to be offering good money, perhaps too good to be true?

Just looking for a little imput from anyone who might know more than me, I have done the usual searches on Google and can't find any completed auctions on the bay or sales anywhere else, it's quite elusive.

Any help is greatly appreciated, but if this is in the wrong place just pop it somewhere else on the forum, thanks :)

Mike..

Ah ha ha ha, yeah, I can see it now, I shall switch that out right away and get a proper one on it.

Think I am going to stick it on the bay, the offer from that guy was fair I think, but as it is such a rare item and people above have said as much, it might get a nice amount of exposure from auctioning it, of course with a small reserve on it though.

Thanks for the help peeps :)

I wouldn't be so quick to switch it. Bunch of Alligata releases here with black cases. http://www.retrogames.co.uk/default/off/category/Commodore/C64_Cassette/Alligata

I don't think companies were particularly thorough back in the day when it came to things like using cases that obscure part of an inlay.

Ok thanks mate, such a novice when it comes to this stuff. I have a fair understanding of NES and onwards console retro gaming, but this cassette based stuff is a whole different kettle of fish tbh.

I wouldn't be so quick to switch it. Bunch of Alligata releases here with black cases. http://www.retrogames.co.uk/default/off/category/Commodore/C64_Cassette/Alligata

I don't think companies were particularly thorough back in the day when it came to things like using cases that obscure part of an inlay.

Ah, but they might not have used the whole of the back inlay.

I don't recall ever buying a cassette game in the "wrong" style case. And I'd remember because I'm pretty fucking OCD when it comes to it.

I really should look through the two never played boxes of around 50 C64 tapes each that I have to see what's there...

I never realised that Who Dares Wins was never actually released. Looking at the videos on youtube, I can see why Elite would be annoyed.

But it looks like Alligata just added a few extra graphical bits (like buildings) to Who Dares Wins and released it as Who Dares Wins 2!!

Still, it was a great game - I remember playing this on a compilation. 10 Computer Hits or something....

Funny how the cover for 2 is just the same as 1 but with the II numeral. Obviously because it didn't get released they decided to just re-use the same artwork!

Of course they did - why waste a lot more money? I did love the ads for Who Dares Wins II, taking a dig at Elite...

I nearly fell off my chair at about 6 seconds!!

£440. That seems like an awful lot of money, I hope the winning bidder honours it. Well done Mike for a great sale!

The guy who won was the original person who asked about buying it for £75 .

"Payment received, it's time to ship"

I think I need a bank vault to post this thing in :P