rllmuk
deKay

PC Engine

Well my PCE died after all that excitement thanks to a very ropey mod. I posted off to a guy on a forum who offered to fix it, but seems to have gone missing in the post. Didn't pay for any tracking either like a plonker so looks like I'll have to hunt down another.  I've seen an AV modded system with CDRom unit for £195 and I'm sorely tempted.

Err. That was the bit where you were supposed to say "No no, don't be daft, pal. You're the best!".

Wow.

Tell you what I'll do to make it up to you. Since it's been a while since I played on the PCE, I'll fire it up this weekend for a good session and do a bit of gloating.

• Upvote 1

Two things. 

Firstly, thanks to Stoofle answering my request in the wanted folder I'll soon have a PCE CD unit to play with so I'm looking for some recommendations of CD games I need to be checking out, please.

Secondly, in an unexpected twist, I'm also getting an RGB modded PCE off him to go with it so I won't be needing my current console.  As you're no doubt aware, it was gifted to me by Nick L so I'll be paying that kindness forward to someone else on the forum. Ideally it'd be nice if it went to someone like me who had yet to experience this glorious system, but that's not essential, so pipe up if you want it. Retro forum regulars only unless there's no interest (that's why I've posted here first before I take it to the marketplace). If there's a scrum for it I'll pull names out of a hat, but not the hat I promised to eat in the unlikely event of someone answering my wanted ad. Thanks a bunch for that, Stoofle - I'm going to eat a beanie because it'll be softer on the way down my gullet.

I'll be mighty angry indeed if someone takes it and flogs it....

• Upvote 7

I'd have it!

I would have had it.

If I hadn't been so lazy that my retro collection was STILL boxed (and now in the garage), coming up for 4 years now (in august), with NO progress made on the "games room"...

I was looking at PCE earlier today too. Was supposed to be looking for an RGB cable for my SFC and got distracted. Mind you I was also looking at the NeoGeo CD after a bootfair dream I had earlier this week... heck of an offer though.

Oh man, please do put my name in a hat for the PC Engine. I had a Turbo handheld for a while as a youngster (regretfully long gone) but have never had the pleasure of my own PC Engine. I do know it from emulation though, and if lucky I'd have to splash out on my first Everdrive and one of those fancy pants scart cable / RGB amplifiers. I'd never sell it. Just sayin.

EDIT: CD Recommendations:

- Gradius II (fairer and friendlier than the ports on the Saturn and Playstation, brilliant brilliant version)

- Double Dragon II (this shouldn't be as awesome as it is, but it is)

- Dracula X (surely this one goes without saying)

- Image Fight II (a truly excellent Irem shooter)

• Upvote 2

That's very generous Nathan - would love to be put in the draw for it!

Only ever played the PC Emulation through emulation, but it was still great fun to play. It just seemed so quirky compared to other systems and also felt a bit out of reach - like a Neo Geo. The sort of system only magazine reviewers and champions would have... aaahhhh. I can picture a PC Engine sitting nicely next to my retro consoles... one day... one day!

I think the comparison with the Neo Geo is more than apt. It was a luxurious, premium system that also had fresh games coming out for it well into the 32-bit era. The CD add-on came out years before anyone had even seen a screenshot of Super Mario World, probably quite some time before CD players could be considered mass market. It had loads of the best arcade ports in existence. And whilst on paper it punched well above its weight - in reality it was the way to best illustrate the other systems' shortcomings.

My TurboGrafx handheld story is as follows: I had an older mate game enthusiast on the next street as a kid who I thank for most of my exposure to games consoles from the MD onwards. Perhaps nowadays he thanks me for my Master System making his ZX81 and +2 look a bit long in the tooth and sparking his obsession with console gaming. I dunno. Anyway, he'd buy and trade import games and hardware like a butterfly, but he kept a PC Engine around for quite a while (eventually swapping it for a PC Engine Shuttle - proof now that he simply had to have everything at some point). I became obsessed with the PCE mainly because Splatterhouse and R-Type were up there with my favourite arcade games. Quite some time later he offers me a Turbo Handheld (minus a battery cover) with 4 games for £30 all in: Chase HQ, Vigilante, Side Arms and Legendary Axe. I was pretty happy spending my life savings on that bundle. I remember taking it to school with me a few times just for the novelty: this wasn't yer normal ass Game Boy. But the battery consumption was atrocious. Worse than a Game Gear or a Lynx. I never thought about trying to get an AC adaptor. New games were out of the question as I was dependent on my folks for new console games as it was - and I had enough older siblings frequently complaining about my spoiled bastard ways. Anyway, I got bored/annoyed with it and sold it back to my mate for what I'd paid for it maybe 3 months later. What a twat.

• Upvote 2

:o

It's....it's....beautiful.

WP_20160414_001.jpg

Alrighty then.  So far there are three names in the hat for my spare PCE - Lorf, spanky and moora.  I'll do the draw this weekend so there's still a couple of days for anyone else that wants in.  I'll throw in a UK power supply with it but whoever wins will need their own joypad for it.  You'll also need an RF cable for it unless you want the AV Booster, but I'd have to ask for some money for that as it took some finding and wasn't cheap.

• Upvote 2

Can i go into the hat too please? I've wanted one since reading all about them in ACE, and it was only the adverts issued by NEC back them that made my old man say i couldn't have one. I've never forgiven him for that, have missed every birthday of his ever since ;)

I've just thought, i probably have no way of playing with it due to having no start sockets.

Thanks Steve, but i think i will try and emulate one with my Wii so you can cross me off the list/out of the hat.

Nathan - having thought about it I think I'll withdraw and give other entrants a better chance to win it.

I will end up with my very own super beautiful PC Engine eventually but quite honestly I'm not thinking straight about potentially welcoming another box of vintage gaming hardware into my life.

Maybe once I can be motivated into getting rid a chunk of my stuff that at this point in my life I know with certainty is 100% just a result of hoarding (like my SNES collection) I can allow myself to revisit this topic.

Thanks anyway for the chance. Good luck entrants!

I had the handheld as well back in the day. Swapped it for a vectrex which I then sold for about 80 quid a while later.

Yep i'm an idiot....

Please can I be entered too? Fond memories of don doko don!

Mind if I go in the hat also? I *did* own one once, so if there's someone out there that's not had that experience they should probably get priority. I bought a Core Grafx 2 off a guy that used to regularly come into the Gamestation I worked in several years ago and sold it on eBay like some kind of twat around 6 months later. In my defence, I think I was pretty desperate for the cash at the time (I worked in Gamestation after all) and it was about the most valuable thing I had to sell. Been thinking of getting another ever since.

No problemo.  The not having owned one before thing doesn't matter that much since most people will have experienced it through emulation if nothing else.  Just the thought of someone getting to play Gunhed and Coryoon for the very first time like I did makes me feel fuzzy in the groinal area.

• Upvote 2