rllmuk
deKay

PC Engine

It's basically the Super NES conversion with slightly worse sound and a subtly different colour palette. So it's superb.

at the time,it was possibly the only version where the Elephants on Dhalsims stage erm.. trumpeted :lol:

And I was in awe of this!

:)

I indeed do have the original HuCard too, one of the fattest there is!

• Upvote 1

PC Engine basically fucking rocks.

I have to emulate it nowadays but it still blows me away.

It's got so many unique gems, shooters that rival the best that any machine has, a wonderful distinct soundchip, a colour palette that seems to get better with age. Neither the MD or SNES can touch it in certain respects, and the generation of game design it represents is all about purity.

Two main buttons. No need to fuck around working anything out. Just a real deal no bollocks games paradise. And absolutely the best looking hardware back then and even now.

• Upvote 4

I knew nothing about it until a few months ago when I was gifted one by thoroughly kind 'MUK'er, Nick_L, and I know I'm like a broken record here, but I fucking adore the thing. I don't think anything will ever quite match my love of the Lynx as my favourite ever system, Amen, but the more I play on it the closer it gets. It surprises me in some cool way every time I play on it.

• Upvote 2

That's a beautiful sight. I really like the game cases. In fact, given how much I've ended up liking the PCE, I think I'll start collecting a few of my favourite games for it. I'm going to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced CD unit also.

I've always had a thing for Volfied. I can get real deep into it with no effort.

The game embodies the risk/reward mechanic as good as any. Score huge in levels by (often painstakingly) boxing the the 'boss' into a teeny tiny space - achievable always due a finely calibrated blend of skill and luck - or ignore points, take no risks and whizz through the levels. Maybe even complete the whole thing, if indeed you formally can. I wouldn't know because I've never tried, never raced through and done stages quickly on the minimum 80% clearance. Always aimed for the 99.9%. Lose all my lives and sometimes see Game Over quickly. I've probably never seen past stage 10 or 11 thanks to doggedly sticking to the point-racking approach. I don't get to see later on unless I've earned it, properly, by shedding blood and tears bought on by intense, ever shifting bouts of hardcore concentration and lucking out with power ups.

I think it's a bona fide classic that forever seems to inexplicably slip through radars yet remains evergreen.

All considered, I think the Mega Drive version might be the definitive home version but it's really nice to see the PC Engine one just sat there*.

Gorgeous bloody game.

*with GUNHED hiding in there as well. That selection is no less awesome for its modesty.

• Upvote 1

I made an app banner for the 3DS PC Engine emulator and got a bit carried away trying to fit as much into a 400 x 222 png as possible. Not sure if I should feel more shame than pride but it is what it is. I'm a grown ass man and if I want to spend Saturday afternoon fiddling with tiny images of a tiny console and its tiny games then I bloody well will.

mednafen_pce_fast_libretro-banner.png

• Upvote 3

Time Cruise is pretty cool, eh? I like all the interconnected tables and the concept of powering up the various time machines which take you into varied bonus games in different time zones. It seemed a bit easy. I gave up after half an hour as it was getting a bit dull, not having lost a single ball. Still a nice alternative to the Crush games though.

Had to have a quick blast on Coryoon before I turned off. It's been a while. It's still my fave. Those clapping hands on world 3 can fuck right off. Gimme frootz.

Sadly it turns out the modded system I'd bought on eBay was actually borked. The amp inside was duff and after a short time keeps losing the picture, been speaking to guys on the PCE forums though and one is helping me out. Very frustrating as I was off work this week and wanted to get back into the library again!