rllmuk
deKay

PC Engine

Nah, hence the desire for a properly-modded Duo-R. By the time you've bought all of the parts for a regular PCE you'll have spent almost as much. Plus, the CD-ROM games don't have any copy protection in the first place. I mean, just look at this beauty: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-RX-S-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/201419394785?hash=item2ee5880ee1

I hadn't realised that RGB PCEs had increased in price so dramatically. I bought mine a year or so ago for about £70, although it had to go a few months ago.

Today I 'as been mostly playing Gunhed, Coryoon, Ninja Spirit, Shinobi, New Zealand Story and Parasol Stars.

The Good

On the whole I'm massively impressed with the PC Engine. Gunhed and Coryoon are fantastic. The pair of them look amazing, the scrolling is smooth and fast and the difficulty seems perfectly pitched from what I've played of them so far. I'm not much of a shmup player but I felt able to make solid progress in both of those games which spurred me on to keep playing. Gunhed felt pretty much like having permanent Super Nashwan power - the amount of stuff happening on screen was amazing.

Shinobi seems to be a great conversion, although I'm utter shit at it and couldn't even get off the first stage :doh: My memory of the arcade version is hazy, but the PCE version seems to pretty much match it graphically, which is really quite impressive. Parasol Stars is great too. Love the Amiga and ST versions but this seems far more responsive and from memory again, seems to look much nicer - although to be fair it's a long time since I've played it on Amiga so I could very well be mistaken. I'll have to fire it up for a comparison.

The Bad

New Zealand Story was disappointing. For such a simple game on clearly very capable hardware it seems like a thoroughly basic port. The music is thin, the graphics are just ok and it has an annoying split-second stutter happening every so often, which could be down to a dodgy ROM, I suppose. I'll try another at some point but even without that it's just a functional port I think.

The Middling

Ninja Spirit is rock hard. I think I quite like it. I certainly like the mechanic of the player "shadows" replicating your moves but I found it very difficult to follow the main player sprite when there was lots going on and I don't know if it's a dodgy ROM again, but there seemed to be quite a bit of slowdown when there were lots of enemies around and particularly on the first boss.

Out of the bunch I've tried today, I think I enjoyed Coryoon best. It's heart-meltingly cute and it has massive fruit to collect, which is always a boon.

• Upvote 2

The Bad

New Zealand Story was disappointing. For such a simple game on clearly very capable hardware it seems like a thoroughly basic port. The music is thin, the graphics are just ok and it has an annoying split-second stutter happening every so often, which could be down to a dodgy ROM, I suppose. I'll try another at some point but even without that it's just a functional port I think.

I've got a legit HuCard of The New Zealand Story, and unfortunately, it is like this.

Disappointing conversion, really, compared to what else the machine is capable of. Feels like it was released before it was properly finished, particularly as it doesn't have all the levels of the arcade game (although that may be due to memory limitations).

Ninja Spirit is a brilliant game until you get to the end. That last bit can gtf.

Coryoon is a lovely game. My only criticism would be that sometimes there is so much fruit flying around it can be difficult to spot enemy fire.

I had a great blast on the PCE last night. Still love it, still madly in love with Coryoon. It's such a beautiful, cheery game and thankfully it throws extra lives at you because it gets pretty hard to see what's going on by the time you're a few stages in. I still can't get past that fucking haunted room of death on Splatterhouse, where the painting comes to life and tries to behead you - it's a right prick.

Are there any other good scrolling beat 'em ups? I've played Ninja Spirit, Shinobi, Splatterhouse and Bloody Wolf as mentioned. Anything else of note?

Galaga '88 was a great shout btw. Super game.

PC Kid/Bonk's Adventure were good, from what I can remember although it's a Wonder Boy clone rather than a beat 'em up. Am I going senile or was there a Ninja Warriors conversion?

Also I'm 99% sure they would have been already mentioned but the Crush/Crash pinball games were amazing.

Devil's Crush is great, yeah. I've got the Bonk games downloaded and they're pretty good but I'm after more beat 'em uppy than platformey. I've got the full rom set to pick through but the Japanese names of lots of them don't give much away. I picked a couple out which sounded like the should be fighting games and the were shmups and i've got hundreds to check through.

You're right about Ninja Warriors, dunno how i didn't spot that on the list. Vigilante too!

If you haven't played Photo Boy yet I'm going to be demanding a full written explanation.

Momotarou Katsugeki is a nice platformer but probably not what you're after.

If you haven't played Photo Boy yet I'm going to be demanding a full written explanation.

Momotarou Katsugeki is a nice platformer but probably not what you're after.

I finally played Photo Boy last night. It's awful.

Not really, it's great! Completely mad and seemingly as hard as nails. I couldn't even get the 10000 points required to get off the first level although I got better with each attempt and indeed got very close towards the end of my session, but it was getting late (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). It's not at all what I expected even after having seen it crop up in a few "best of" videos. I'll definitely be sinking more time into it because I need to see for myself what crazy stuff they've stuck in the next stage.

I've just piled a load more games on to the Ever Drive. I love this thing!

I've had a good sesh on this tonight having loaded the Ever Drive with a bunch more ROMs. Highlights have included Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Die Hard and Vigilante (amazing conversion, graphically). Lowlights, Gunboat, Darkwing Duck, China Warrior and Moto Roader.

I've also tried a few more shooters that have all blended into one (except Toilet Kids which is rather........unique). Surprise of the session goes to Die Hard for being a pretty cool 8-way overhead shooter. I don't know what I expected it to be, but it definitely wasn't that.