rllmuk
deKay

PC Engine

You MUST get the CD unit at some point. A massive chunk of the library for that is pure amaze, best CD add on ever released. It's what Sega should have done with the Sega CD. There's no copy protection either so if you aren't interested in collecting for it very easy to get the games online.

On the Jaguar, you mean? Yeah, I know.....but what about the PC Engine CD drive? Was that any good?

The guy does amazing work and very trustworthy if that's what you are worried about?

Actually, I'm more worried about the other half...

I've used rob once or twice (jag rgb cable) and it's all good.

It's a fun console, I think you'll enjoy it :) Some of the games are pretty impressive for what is essentially an 8-bit machine.

I used to love some of the top-down racers on it (F1 Dream etc)

:o It's happening!

The PC Engine arrived today (thanks again, Nick_L!). I have a PSU all ready and waiting, a Turbo Everdrive on its way from Cyprus and an AV Booster on the way from France. I must prepare my body for some quality gaming after the CD-i.

Cute little thing, isn't it? The console and pad feel really solid too.

• Upvote 2

If I was to buy another PC Engine I think I'd go all out and get a refurbished and modded Duo-R from Doujindance on eBay. At least then you can play pretty much everything from any region in proper RGB as was as being confident that the console will last.

• Upvote 2

:o It's happening!

The PC Engine arrived today (thanks again, Nick_L!). I have a PSU all ready and waiting, a Turbo Everdrive on its way from Cyprus and an AV Booster on the way from France. I must prepare my body for some quality gaming after the CD-i.

Cute little thing, isn't it? The console and pad feel really solid too.

Glad it made it to you in one piece!

Love how you and Lorf go all in with anything retro, no chance of just picking up a couple of HuCards and giving it a try first :lol:

I had the full kit years ago, Super CDROM2 with fully modded AV/region hack shibang. It was the best retro setup I ever had and probably my favourite console ever just a shame it costs so damn much to get into. When I went to Japan in 2010 I saved up for ages and had about £1000 cash to spend in the retro shops there, it was paradise for Hucards as they were all dirt cheap. I think I brought about £300 of games for it back alone!

Selling my PC Engine is one of my biggest regrets. Such an awesome little console. I'd love to get another one some time - but yeah, it all costs a fortune.

Everything has arrived! I turned the house upside down looking for a Micro SD card, of which I have several but I also have several "drawers that have everything in them" throughout my home so it took fecking ages to find one. Well, I found two, but I suspect 16Gb will be overkill given the size of the files so I've gone with the 4Gb one......only my fecking card reader won't work, so now I have to wait a further agonising few days for one to arrive. Share my pain, you fiends!

It's not going to be as good as the Jaguar.

While we're sharing in my pain, can we have some favourite games discussion? I don't want to download a full ROM-set and wade through hundreds of games so which ones would you PCE edumacated chaps suggest? I have the Retro Gamer top 25 to go on, and there are obviously millions of YT videos on the subject but it'd be good to get some suggestions from here too!

It's happened! In a massive facepalm moment, I realised I have an old Nokia phone I can use as a card reader and after a bit of fiddling getting the Micro SD card properly set up and finding ROMs, I've been enjoying some great games for the past couple of hours! What a lovely little machine. Favourites so far include Fantasy Zone, Splatterhouse and Bloody Wolf, none of which I've played before. The Turbo Everdrive is a superb device.

Picture quality is surprisingly ok through the AV Booster - certainly fine for the time being, but I might still look into an RGB mod if I find I use the machine a lot.

I'll be interested to check out the conversions of New Zealand Story and Turrican.

post-10858-0-45064900-1441805444_thumb.j

• Upvote 4