15 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Started bidding on this nice bundle thinking I might get a good deal on a used SSDS3. Look what it just went for! I'd been messaging the guy selling it and even he was shocked. 

It's a beautiful bundle though, with the SSDS3 pairing most naturally with the Core Grafx. Complete with a decent cable and large SD card too it's everything you'd need in one package.

I guess another thing that keeps prices high for listings like this is that Terraonion tend to manufacture small batches of a single product at a time, which invariably sell out pretty quickly with demand never quite being satisfied, it seems. I've never seen any of their wares sell for less than RRP.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to my earlier plans — console arrived, as did my job lot of “junked” Hu Cards and CDs.

And everything, bar Power 11 (I’m guessing soccer) works, too! Having a lot of fun exploring a very weird mix of shoot em ups, platformers and semi-incomprehensible Japanese RPGs. Also a surprise inclusion of a SF2 box... that instead contained Space Harrier and the dead copy of Power 11 instead. Nice manual though, and given I’ve got more than a few copies of the various SNES iterations I’m actually happier with Space Harrier anyway!

Will keep an eye out on how it runs having been warned about the capacitors. Biggest surprise so far has been those plastic sleeves that some of the Hu Card games come in, as many of them appear to be breaking down and getting sticky. Have removed all of those — is there a known issue/cure beyond junking that bit?

3 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Think I've lost my RGB booster for the CoreGrafx II. Playing Gradius in b&w, and it looks quite beautiful! Is it worth buying an RGB adapter at this point (and what's a reasonable price to pay for one?), or should I just hold on for the SSDS3? 

Analogue are due to be announcing something big on Friday. No one knows what but it could be a PCE.

On 08/10/2020 at 13:36, loathsomeleopard said:

Biggest surprise so far has been those plastic sleeves that some of the Hu Card games come in, as many of them appear to be breaking down and getting sticky. Have removed all of those — is there a known issue/cure beyond junking that bit?

None of my old stuff has this problem, but I've just received a copy of Dragon Spirit in the post and the sleeve was like a boiled sweet that had been left out in the sun. Had to peel it off the HuCard! Definitely binning it. :wacko:

Edit: sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but can you still use your own HuCards with the SSDS3 attached?

So I got the opportunity to write up my PC Engine adventures for Kotaku Australia, which was fun.

Writing it up (as I mention in my article) also reminded me that Hamleys in London had one set up as a demo booth back in the day, and it was genuinely a Japanese model, because it was playing Kato Chan & Ken Chan, not JJ & Jeff as it would have been were it the US.

Anyone know anything about how and why they were doing that? Was I the only teenage gaming tragic heading there for a quick free game on Saturdays back in the late 80s/early 90s? 

Does anyone remember the PC Engine import scene during the late '80s, early '90s? Importers like Console Concepts would advertise in Crash and Zzap 64 and so on. The import scene was oddly never focused on the US Turbografx systems either, basically just the Japanese systems – I wouldn't be surprised if many people at the time didn't even know that the PC Engine had a North American version.

3 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Does anyone remember the PC Engine import scene during the late '80s, early '90s? Importers like Console Concepts would advertise in Crash and Zzap 64 and so on. The import scene was oddly never focused on the US Turbografx systems either, basically just the Japanese systems – I wouldn't be surprised if many people at the time didn't even know that the PC Engine had a North American version.

Yeah the wonderful grey import era. PC Engine Supplies (I think) were another big importer, and Telegames also had regular ads. There was also a semi-local importer called Console Quest based a few miles west who dealt with cutting edge JPN imports who we could visit in person.

I was obsessed with arcade games - Sega ones in particular - but I knew other favourites like Splatterhouse and Chase HQ were on the PC Engine and I wanted them so badly.

I was a child. It was all magic.

Console concepts were local to me. Eventually turned to colin diamond consoles iirc. Had my US saturn off him and a bunch of import snes games before that. Makes me want to buy those super play magazines in the marketplace just to see them.

Bought SF2 Turbo for £70 and then had to buy a new adapter at £30.  I moan now at the price of games :/

• 3 weeks later...

I am seriously debating getting either a PC Engine or Megadrive console. I've got the minis of both, but want something to hook up to my CRT.

If I got a PCE, is there any big difference between PCE, Core Grafx and Core Grafx 2? I'm confortable RGB modding any of them as required.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

If I got a PCE, is there any big difference between PCE, Core Grafx and Core Grafx 2? I'm confortable RGB modding any of them as required.

Core Grafx models are technically better, with less video and audio noise due to slightly upgraded circuitry.

All stock models can benefit from a jailbar fix mod and fresh caps, in addition to maybe RGB modding if you don't plan on using the expansion port for a plug n play video out solution such as the new 'Spark Plug' or established dbGrafx Booster boards.

I have noticed a renewed (overdue?) appreciation of how excellent properly attenuated composite video can be on PC Engines though. It's supposed to be legitimately glorious.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Thanks for the info. Very curious about this glorious composite video!

I think MiSTer users can use a close approximation of it as it's baked into the PCE core options, and I've noticed a couple of people ask Analogue if they plan on incorporating it as a video option in their upcoming Duo, as it arguably produces more authentic colours than RGB, in this instance.