• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

all the chat in the PC Engine mini thread makes me want to go out to the garage, and bring my collection back indoors. Especially as I have the RGB adaptor above and a new TV to try it on.

[edit]

and I should use the Core Grafx II where possible, right?

1A6742B9-8015-4C0B-8697-37CABDC118E5.thumb.jpeg.780bed8071c907f092c448e787fa9963.jpeg

Edited by SeanR

4:3 feels wasteful on a 42" ws set, 14:9 is close.

The zoom options are mental, and the TV is reporting the signal as RGB, despite the RGB adaptor being switched to composite, unless... that's the input method, and it's converting the signal back to RGB?

Spoiler

FE01ADC3-F193-4A59-94B1-FE76B7CCDEA5.thumb.jpeg.2df92f577287521231a54d6f7f2c1ab6.jpeg

Edited by SeanR
  • 3 months later...

OK, so with 2020 being all.. 2020ish... I’ve decided my retro project for the year is going to be a PC Engine. Bought a Duo through Yahoo! Japan Auctions, but it’ll be a month or more before it arrives with a small collection of games — taking the punt that junk/untested stuff will run, but it was damned cheap so it’s a risk I’m willing to take.

However, I’ve never owned a PC Engine of any stripe before. Suggestions on what to play/what not to bother with welcome.

My Japanese is rudimentary at best, and I’m not looking at spending stupid levels of collector money, if you know what I mean...

(at least this is what I tell myself now. Check back in a few months...)

Get an Everdrive. CDs are not protected so there's that too.

There's a raft of great shmups if that's your bag: Coryoon, the Star Soldier series, Hana Taaka Daka (Long-Nosed Goblin), Magical Chase, Gates of Thunder, Gunhed, Galaga 88 ...

Parasol Stars if Bubble Bobble sequels interest you, there's the Bonk series of platformers, Bomberman and sequels, Devil Crush (although I prefer the MD version), Gekibo: Gekisha Boy (Photo Boy) is amazing fun and very original ...

4 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

OK, so with 2020 being all.. 2020ish... I’ve decided my retro project for the year is going to be a PC Engine. Bought a Duo through Yahoo! Japan Auctions, but it’ll be a month or more before it arrives with a small collection of games — taking the punt that junk/untested stuff will run, but it was damned cheap so it’s a risk I’m willing to take.

However, I’ve never owned a PC Engine of any stripe before. Suggestions on what to play/what not to bother with welcome.

My Japanese is rudimentary at best, and I’m not looking at spending stupid levels of collector money, if you know what I mean...

(at least this is what I tell myself now. Check back in a few months...)

Were you able to read the description of the auction?

One of the main ‘things’ about Duos is that they’re notorious for konking out due to capacitor problems so if there’s no mention of them in the description I would suggest opening it up and having a look.

Even if the capacitors seem okay it’s something to consider getting done as it’s likely only a matter of time.

Another thing to consider is an RGB mod as they’re not RGB by default and composite is all you’re going to get picture quality wise.

Lastly Hu cards are region locked so you can’t play US games on a JPN system without a mod. This isn’t really required though unless you’re really keen as there isn’t anything essential that’s US only on Hu card. CDs are region free (afaik)

Was this the kind of project you were expecting?

Are you just going to Everdrive it? 

If you are planning on building up some games, much like other systems, prices can vary wildly depending on the game. £20 is the cheapest you’ll likely get anything for outside of junkers.

What types of games are you looking for?

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Were you able to read the description of the auction?

One of the main ‘things’ about Duos is that they’re notorious for konking out due to capacitor problems so if there’s no mention of them in the description I would suggest opening it up and having a look.

Even if the capacitors seem okay it’s something to consider getting done as it’s likely only a matter of time.

Another thing to consider is an RGB mod as they’re not RGB by default and composite is all you’re going to get picture quality wise.

All this it bang on the button, the odds are the duo has leaked its caps all over the place. Sorry to be a downer on your new purchase but it WILL need recapping at least.

Stunning looking console though and you'll love it when its all up and running.

My PC Engine solution is a JP Core Grafx married with a Terraonion Super SD System 3 (latest revision). 

It's just amazing. I have access to everything! (apart from the 5 or so Super Grafx games) and it's all ouput in RGB.  

I recommend that, or just going the Mister route. 

On 14/09/2020 at 10:56, Kevvy Metal said:

My PC Engine solution is a JP Core Grafx married with a Terraonion Super SD System 3 (latest revision). 

It's just amazing. I have access to everything! (apart from the 5 or so Super Grafx games) and it's all ouput in RGB.  

I'm hoping to get the SSDS3 myself soon as an all-round solution, but I really want to be able to play Aldynes (SGX) on my CRT, so I'm wondering if it's worth buying a SuperGrafx. They seem to go for around £400-450 on eBay, but is this the true going rate? Is it possible to get one any cheaper?

Cheers!

Edit: I imagine the Wii U Virtual Console releases are all great, Dig Dug. The PCE stuff I had on the original Wii was unbelievably impressive - playing e.g. Rondo of Blood was almost indistinguishable from playing it on the real hardware.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

I'm hoping to get the SSDS3 myself soon as an all-round solution, but I really want to be able to play Aldynes (SGX) on my CRT, so I'm wondering if it's worth buying a SuperGrafx. They seem to go for around £400-450 on eBay, but is this the true going rate? Is it possible to get one any cheaper?

Cheers!

Edit: I imagine the Wii U Virtual Console releases are all great, Dig Dug. The PCE stuff I had on the original Wii was unbelievably impressive - playing e.g. Rondo of Blood was almost indistinguishable from playing it on the real hardware.

super grafx is a lot of money for 1 or 2 games, both of which are on the pc engine mini 

10 minutes ago, ulala said:

super grafx is a lot of money for 1 or 2 games, both of which are on the pc engine mini 

Literally 5 games

1941: Counter Attack

Aldynes

Battle Ace

Daimakaimura (aka Ghouls'n Ghosts)

Madō King Granzort

...and Darius Plus, standard PC Engine HuCard that offered slight enhancements when played on a SuperGrafx console.

Pretty sure there's a Mister core for SuperGrafx 

Cheers, both. Yeah, I'm definitely not going for it if it's £400 minimum, just wondering if anyone was aware of a cheaper way to get one. Aldynes is literally the only game I care about, tbh (I have Darius Plus and Super Darius already, and am not too bothered about the SGX enhancements - though they are available on the Cozmic Collection)! I don't have access to any Mister stuff at the moment but hardware emulation is incredible so I'll definitely be checking this out in the future - thanks!

Might treat myself to the SSDS3 soon, but then should really ban myself from buying anything gaming related for some time. :p

1 hour ago, ulala said:

A SuperGrafx is indeed super expensive thanks to it being a genuinely rare console - but it's objectively the finest PC Engine hardware ever produced, with clearer audio and crisper video than any other real hardware option.

Make sure the dangerous unwanted standoff underneath the motherboard has been cut off, stick an SSDS3 on the back of it and voilà, you have PC Engine perfection. The final form.

Sure it's an easy machine to emulate on almost anything or replicate accurately with a MiSTer but I'd never dissuade anyone from getting a real one, if they can afford it. 

Ah, now you're really making me want one! The SSDS3 should provide RGB to my standard CoreGrafx, though - is the display quality of the SuperGrafx significantly better still?

Edit: by the way, if I buy an SSDS3 from Terraonion themselves will I definitely be getting the revised model and not the one that supposedly gives a noisier, poorer display?

35 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Ah, now you're really making me want one! The SSDS3 should provide RGB to my standard CoreGrafx, though - is the display quality of the SuperGrafx significantly better still?

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'significantly' better than a decent CoreGrafx but likely better for sure.

There's less crosstalk and signal interference across the larger motherboard of the SuperGrafx (and to some extent the US TurboGrafx), but the best improvement might be in less audio hum / hiss.

This information was really borne out during the period between the initial release of the SSDS3 and final revision which incorporated various community-developed audio & video fixes. Some SD cards exhibit audio noise of their own when streaming CD data, so it might be worth checking up on this too (IIRC certain cards manufactured by Transcend were considered 'noise free' when used with an SSDS3, but this was a while ago now).

Basically, as I understand it the only way to have a near perfect A/V output is to use a SuperGrafx..but personally I'd probably stick with a CoreGrafx and just ensure the cable and SD card I'm planning to use with the SSDS3 is top quality.

On 21/09/2020 at 17:07, spanky debrest said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'significantly' better than a decent CoreGrafx but likely better for sure.

There's less crosstalk and signal interference across the larger motherboard of the SuperGrafx (and to some extent the US TurboGrafx), but the best improvement might be in less audio hum / hiss.

This information was really borne out during the period between the initial release of the SSDS3 and final revision which incorporated various community-developed audio & video fixes. Some SD cards exhibit audio noise of their own when streaming CD data, so it might be worth checking up on this too (IIRC certain cards manufactured by Transcend were considered 'noise free' when used with an SSDS3, but this was a while ago now).

Basically, as I understand it the only way to have a near perfect A/V output is to use a SuperGrafx..but personally I'd probably stick with a CoreGrafx and just ensure the cable and SD card I'm planning to use with the SSDS3 is top quality.

The SSDS3 is pulling digital video out the back connection, then converting it to RGB itself and it's very high quality and looks glorious. 

I'm sure the SuperGrafx is good too! But the SSDS3 works the same as something like the AV Booster. 

The SSDS3 first revision was notoriously underwhelming with various issues, but the new ones are amazing and just as good as Terraonion's recent products.