rllmuk
deKay

PC Engine

So as part of Game Over, Yeah!! I dug out my PC Engine Duo last night.

I always forget what a fantastic system it is. Sure, there are a few odd design choices (a single joypad socket? Which uses a mini-DIN connector?!), but the graphics are outstanding for an 8 bit machine.

I mostly played Pac-Land (best version bar the arcade for sure, Ai Cho Aniki (makes SNES shooters look poor with the number of sprites on screen - and no slowdown), and Megumi Paradise, where I walked round a nunnery then stripped the girl I was playing as down to her pants before getting completely stuck as my Japanese is terrible.

Awesome!

• Upvote 5

Is there a decent PC Engine buyers guide anywhere? It's a system that I've always had an interest in but I'm confused by all the extras and US counterparts ect.

I spent ages last year playing and completing Gekishabo aka Photo Boy. Play that, it's excellent. I went on to buy the PS2 sequel which is not quite as good but still fun.

Is there a decent PC Engine buyers guide anywhere? It's a system that I've always had an interest in but I'm confused by all the extras and US counterparts ect.

I don't know, but I do know this:

Buy a PC Engine Duo (or Duo R) and a Turbografix. Then you can play everything. The Turbografix CD games work on the Duo, but the TG cards don't.

And buy Pac-Land.

Or get it region-modded or buy an Everdrive. And buy Gates of Thunder because it's ace.

Or emulate?

( i do get the playing on the original hardware thing, but think emulation is a lot easier)

I spent ages drooling over the ads in ACE as a kid, but never got one. Went for the SMS instead.

• Upvote 1

Or get it region-modded or buy an Everdrive. And buy Gates of Thunder because it's ace.

You can't region mod it - the pins are in a different order. You can get an adapter but they're more expensive than a console.

Or emulate?

( i do get the playing on the original hardware thing, but think emulation is a lot easier)

I spent ages drooling over the ads in ACE as a kid, but never got one. Went for the SMS instead.

As great as the SMS was, it was waaaaay behind the PCE in terms of capability and power. The PCE gives the MD and SNES a run for their money.

• Upvote 1

I know, it was the adverts in ACE by NEC with tales of the machines blowing up that swayed me away from it. Think i was about 16, what year was it released?

Gunhed and the Drunken Master screenshots were what got me interested in the first place.

You can get it done with a tiny little switch. I was considering getting my duo done, but got an Everdrive instead.

Does that mean your TG16 runs at 50hz?

I have two PC Engines, an RGB-modded white original model and a non-functioning Core Grafx. It's a great little machine, even in 2014 you can be really impressed by what the little 8-bit box can do, the top-tier arcade conversions are stunning if you remember the mediocre arcade conversions we had to put up with on the Amiga and ST, and Street Fighter II looks almost like Super NES conversion.

Such an innovative machine too, it had a CD-ROM drive released in 1988(!), even games on LaserDisc format, handheld and laptop versions, and, err, the Super Grafx.

• Upvote 1

G'day! In a couple of weeks I should be the proud owner of a PC Engine, thanks to the kindness of Nick_L (for which you should give him all the pos's) who seems to think I need rescuing from the claws of the Jaguar (for which you should give him all the neg's)! The PC Engine "scene" - god I hate that, sorry - seems to be a world of baffling consoles and add-ons which makes my head spin. In preperation for its arrival, what am I going to need to get an original un-modded Japanese console running in the UK on a CRT television?

I've read some posts saying that Japanese RF output won't be picked up (or may be picked up badly) by a UK TV set, and others which say that if your television is multi-region, it will be fine. My TV picks up an American NTSC signal, so will the latter be the case? If not, from what I can gather, I'll have to either get it modded for proper AV-out or pick up an AV-Booster off ebay, but this only provides composite, correct?

When it comes to save games, looking at the Backup/Tennokoe units you can buy, they don't seem to include the AV booster built in but take up the same slot, so am I correct in thinking that if I want to save my games and use the AV add-on, I'm shit out of luck?

Regarding the Everdrive, does that provide game saves? An Everdrive/AV Booster combination should work if that's the case!

Finally, Nick seems to think that a UK Mega Drive power supply will be fine to power it, I just want to quickly double check that's right.. Don't want to blow it up!

UK MD PSU will work and power the unit. I've been advised in the past against using one, however, as it doesn't exactly meet the requirements. I bought the PSU for my Duo from eBay. There's a guy who sells them, not sure if he still does, but worth a look.

Everdrive doesn't support saves. I have a Ten no Koe but I don't think I've ever used it.

I had my Duo modded by mmmonkey of NTSC-UK (now Bordersdown). Not sure if he still does mods. Definitely worth getting an RGB mod though so worth looking into.

Cheers chaps. I realise I can find all this out with Google but with the impending ownesrship of my first PC Engine it'd be nice to spark a bit of discussion about it.

Mr.Monday, there's a thread just down the page, by Strider, which didn't get many replies but Retro Gamer have a Top 25 PC Engine games article this month.

You MUST get the CD unit at some point. A massive chunk of the library for that is pure amaze, best CD add on ever released. It's what Sega should have done with the Sega CD. There's no copy protection either so if you aren't interested in collecting for it very easy to get the games online.