So we discovered a retro gaming mother lode...

hat

I kind of feel for the current owner, he has spent quite a bit of time collecting/purchasing these items & now years later it has all become just a bit too much & he wants out. I really need to start doing some boot sales to shift my lot, ebay is just taking far too long.

(he had a shop, this is the stock, right?)

Most private shop owners are also gamers, collectors which is what triggers them to open a shop in the first place.

I had a chance about ten years ago to pack up work & go down the shop route but chickened out because I like the regular income from a job to pay the mortgage.

This guy's shop was contemporary, not retro. No doubt he held on to what he had because of a fondness for the medium, as well as the belief that trashing the whole thing would be a waste of good money, but it doesn't sound to me like he was collecting these much more than Tesco collect tins of ravioli.

Seeing this thread takes me right back, about 2001-2002 me and my stepdad used to go to boot sales every week looking for retro games to collect and sell on, this was still back in the day of Yahoo auctions, I was 16-17 back then and had always been a massive Sega geek so I knew what games were uncommon and worth buying, it was a fun hobby but nothing to serious.

Anyway, one day we visited this tiny shop in Cannock, Cannock Games Exchange I think it was, and it was like we had stepped back into 1994. There was a working Sega Mega Drive / Mega CD 2 shop stand, complete with RGB monitor running Robocop Vs the Terminator, (we actually purchased this item from the owner for around £150) but the real wow moments were the old cabinets literally chock full of sealed 16-Bit era titles, I'm talking factory sealed titles of obscure 32X games like After Burner and Kolibri, brand new and Sega sealed Mega Drive and Mega CD games, some real curios like Saturday Night Slam Masters (which I've never seen again since) and Saturn stuff, sealed launch games like Hebrike's Popito, original Game Boy and sealed SNES games - to say my eyes popped out was an understatement. The only problem however, was the owner still treated the stock like it was still 1994 as well - £59.99 he wanted for the 32X games, full RRP for absolutely everything in there. He was a nice chap, and was well aware of ebay and the like, but didn't trust selling on the internet. We had some good buys from him (I bought a brand new copy of Mega Turrican for the Megadrive I treasured for about £15, a sealed copy of Sonic and Knuckles for £10 and some other bits and bobs) he even had a new copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, which at the time was like the holy grail of retro finds, but he'd misplaced the guts in the second box, so wasn't prepared to let it go.

I haven't been anywhere near Cannock for a good 10 years so don't know if it's still there or if he did eventually move the stuff to ebay but that price was an absolute gold mine.

edit: A quick look on google maps shows the building still there but rebranded as cannock exchange, apparently turned into a music store. To think that shitty little white building was the home to a retro treasure trove at one point, I wonder what happened to it.

tFPKQln.jpg

GD Computers in Gloucester's Market Parade, they demolished those shops years ago :(.

See also Format, the unfortunately-named Pink Palace and that old second-hand shop off Southgate Street :(

Was this just some cruel joke?

No, they are probably trying to figure out a) How they are going to buy it all b) how are they going to sell it c) what do they want to keep & most importantly d) how the fuck are they going to find the time for it all !!

Good luck to them.

No, they are probably trying to figure out a) How they are going to buy it all b) how are they going to sell it c) what do they want to keep & most importantly d) how the fuck are they going to find the time for it all !!

Good luck to them.

You're pretty close with D! Sorry for the lack of an update. This week was the first chance we had to get back over there.

Hopefully the categorizing will start when we get time over the coming weeks.

For anyone interested the NeoGeo carts are:

KOF 95

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug 4 (not pictured but they know they have it somewhere!)

Fatal Fury

Fatal Fury 2

Fatal Fury Special

Samurai Showdown

Joy Joy Kid

Magician Lord

Super Sidekicks 2

World Heroes

The Super Spy

Nam 1975

13921157718_eb9009be2f.jpgNeogeo by hoolicool, on Flickr

Hopefully the lists will come along shortly and then we can work out how people can select what they want.