rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Timmo

No Refunds, You Idiot – The Sony Customer Service Thread

I think the inarguably best thing that whole period gave us was @Timmo's "Internationally renowned idiot" tag, bestowed after someone from here posted about it on Neogaf and sent some of the folk there into fits of rage at the suggestion that accidental purchases should be eligible for refunds :lol:

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm sure that will get a very positive response. 2013?!

Well it only took a minute out of my day. They can make it right if they want to, I don't really see what the date has to do with it.

6 hours ago, Hamus said:

It sounds like for the majority of cases here Sony are doing a fine job?!

Who is this not at all suspicious poster?

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

Well it only took a minute out of my day. They can make it right if they want to, I don't really see what the date has to do with it.

Statute of limitations .

Well this isn't a legal question. Sony have the right to withold the refund, as they have in their T&Cs that all digital purchases are irrevocable, like pretty much every company with a digital distribution service. They all largely allow exceptions though, in the name of providing a good customer experience. As Sony were slow on the uptake, I'm just giving them another chance to grant an exception, according to their new guidelines. This is completely within their power to do.

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

Sony have the right to withold the refund, as they have in their T&Cs that all digital purchases are irrevocable, like pretty much every company with a digital distribution service

This is changing though, Oculus as an example have a 2 hour playtime or 2 week ownership, in which you can refund automatically with no questions asked. I believe this is the same for Steam.

I just went through the checkout process on Steam to test this, and you get this message:

By clicking the button below to proceed you agree that Valve provides you immediate access to digital content as soon as you complete your purchase, without waiting the 14-day withdrawal period. Therefore, you expressly waive your right to withdraw from this purchase.

That's what I was referring to. They all use roughly the same language, it's just that Sony used to take it a bit too literally.

20 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It was two things in fairly quick succession, and as Pob says - right at the start of that major transition to digital purchasing being a big proportion - of the hack and some terrible customer service that would have crippled the PS4's online ambitions if the Bone had been more on-point at launch.

Ah yes, that was the kicker. Even if the digital purchases were made as part of a hack on Sony’s systems, you still had to pay. Absolutely ludicrous. 

I remember now I took my card details off PSN, making impulse purchases a rarity. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Liamness said:

That's what I was referring to. They all use roughly the same language, it's just that Sony used to take it a bit too literally.

They use that language though to inform you of your rights under EU law. That is just informing you that your purchase means that you do not have the 14 day right of withdrawal for digital purchases as it is an exception. 

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Steam are pretty explicit if you look up their returns policy though about what they will refund as are Oculus and Epic which have pretty much the same rule (14 days and no longer than 2 hours play). Origin are slightly different but are 14 days or 24 hours after you first launch the game.

MS aren't explicit but suggest that you aren't likely to get anything back after 14 days, although they don't confirm that you will get it back before that. They do at least give you a list of your purchases if you go on the website and click through to requesting a refund.

Sony still currently make no promise on a refund (although you do get 14 days if you haven't started to download it). Additionally you have to fill in the whole form yourself including the 12 digit purchase ID so it's not as streamlined as it could be.

Having a decent well advertised refund policy can actually be of benefit to a company I think. I've certainly bought games I wouldn't have otherwise because I knew that if I don't like them in 2 hours I can just get my money back. It's kind of like having a decent length demo.

My mate just bought gta 5 and the witcher 3 for full price last week before they went on sale but when he contacted them, he got no joy. I tried to tell him as well because I know he is a MP gamer and I would have never suggested he buy the witcher but he watched the series and liked it but nope.

I purchased The Frozen Wilds to find that it isn't compatible from the UK store with my US disc of Horizon. So I purchase Horizon complete edition to then find my save isn't compatible with that, so I'd have to start the entire game again. Try and request a refund for both, or either of them, and get a flat out no because I downloaded them.  Their entire customer service is appalling. I don't even seem to be able to reply to their templated response.  

• Empathy 5

1 hour ago, pledge said:

I purchased The Frozen Wilds to find that it isn't compatible from the UK store with my US disc of Horizon. So I purchase Horizon complete edition to then find my save isn't compatible with that, so I'd have to start the entire game again. Try and request a refund for both, or either of them, and get a flat out no because I downloaded them.  Their entire customer service is appalling. I don't even seem to be able to reply to their templated response.  

Aha. I thought it was just bloodbourne that did this for me.    So disc based saves for Horizon aren't compatible with the digital version or are you saying the saves aren't compatible between the two digital versions you bought?

Hopefully they sort that region specific stuff on Ps5. One thing  I really like with MS is you have the same account regardless of region and games work everywhere regardless of what region you buy them in (as well as the saves)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Hopefully they sort that region specific stuff on Ps5. One thing  I really like with MS is you have the same account regardless of region and games work everywhere regardless of what region you buy them in (as well as the saves)

In other Microsoft nails it whilst Sony act inexplicably, why is it that if I install a game from disc and subsequently buy the digital licence, the same install works fine on Xbox but on PS4 I have to delete my existing game and download the bloody thing again?

Just as well Sony have the software really because the infrastructure sometimes feels like it’s held together with duct tape

• Upvote 2

So I subbed for a month of ESO Plus at the end of May, played the game a lot but then drifted away, so went to cancel it at the end of this month. 

I looked up how to do it, and the advice from the official site said go to Account Management, Subscriptions and then if it's there, cancel the auto renew. I did this on the console and it wasn't there, so I thought maybe auto-renew wasn't on. 

Then yesterday I get an automatic email saying I've been charged for this next month. It turns out that it doesn't show your sub on your console subscription page when you access it there but when you sign in on the website it does. 

I know Sony are notoriously inflexible and stingy when it comes to refunds and their online sales, but is there any chance they'd refund it or even just credit me back the tenner if I got in touch? 

3 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Is your issue there not with Bethesda?

Depends on when he says website does he mean the Sony website or the Bethesda website.   Bethesda can't be held responsible for what appears on the Sony conso9le or Sony website I would have thought?

5 hours ago, Parksey said:

I know Sony are notoriously inflexible and stingy when it comes to refunds and their online sales, but is there any chance they'd refund it or even just credit me back the tenner if I got in touch? 

It's worth trying.  Sooner you do it the better!

10 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

In other Microsoft nails it whilst Sony act inexplicably, why is it that if I install a game from disc and subsequently buy the digital licence, the same install works fine on Xbox but on PS4 I have to delete my existing game and download the bloody thing again?

Just as well Sony have the software really because the infrastructure sometimes feels like it’s held together with duct tape

I was quite pleased to see the advantage I gained through one of their inadequacies when I realised the other week that all my PS3 ps+ titles (not that I have many) still work fine despite cancelling my account with them 18 months ago. I’m happy I can still go back to my digital copy of Tokyo Jungle again whenever I want with no padlock sign taunting me. 

• Upvote 1

Jokes aside, Sony will probably refund the money if Zeus sticks to "rogue controller" story.

lol.

• Upvote 1

I had an issue where I bought a game and some dlc, but one part of the dlc was actually included in the edition of the game I had bought (the only one available). It shouldn't have been for sale separately or should have warned me not to buy it. 

Refused to refund as I had downloaded it. I hadn't but I guess the version included in the game triggered their 'downloaded' thing. 

Meant to buy a 1-year  Playstation Plus Subscription but accidentally purchased a 1-year Playstation Now subscription instead. Spent 30 minutes waiting in a queue to talk to a customer service rep wondering why my account wasn't showing my Plus subscription active, and he was like "because you bought a Playstation Now subscription". Then I made a comment about how it would probably be too late to get a refund since it was purchased at the end of April and all the dude said was "Yea." Time to stream some PS3 games, I guess. 

Ps now has got better recently, there's some decent ps4 games on there now. It's not as good as game pass of course.