rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Timmo

No Refunds, You Idiot – The Sony Customer Service Thread

I emailed the CEO of SCEE when I had an issue, it's an approach I've taken with a few companies in the past, and normally you get a pretty immediate response from their secretary or an executive escalations team, Sony's CEO didn't even acknowledge the email, I am genuinely baffled by their stance over things like this.

They're back in the dominant position, they don't need to try any more.

What about the consumer rights ombudsman that the CAB use?

They'll hassle Sony UK about it quoting consumer law.

Just go through each of the options people have brought up one by one.

I'd start with emailing CAB and the Guardian consumer rights team.

People have been warning about this aspect of digital for a while.

Yeah, it's worrying that you could lose a whole library of digital content whether it's Apple, Microsoft, Sony or whoever because you can't pass a security check that has been altered or some innocuous T&Cs have been implemented.

• Upvote 1

Ts and Cs dont stand up in court anyway, all that Ubisoft and Sony "you cant sue us" EULAs dont stand up at all in court. Never mind the PR disasterfuck.

Ts and Cs dont stand up in court anyway, all that Ubisoft and Sony "you cant sue us" EULAs dont stand up at all in court. Never mind the PR disasterfuck.

That makes it more annoying, there's no reason for them not to just sort stuff like this out.

The trouble is you have to get to court. And they know very few will do that over £40.

The problem with my local CAB, aside from its 16 year old employees, is that it's full of people who are being evicted or needing food stamps or something so taking up their time with your £40 videogame issue feels a little awkward to say the least.

• Upvote 5

But you should be able to call and then email. I remember back in the day u approached them and they were going to help but the company buckled.

I believe I sent an email with all the details

Can you make a post listing who you've contacted please?

But you should be able to call and then email. I remember back in the day u approached them and they were going to help but the company buckled.

I believe I sent an email with all the details

Can you make a post listing who you've contacted please?

Not sure that was me unless it was a very long time ago and I've forgotten.

So far I've contacted,

Sony

Brad's game site

Various 'personalities' on Twitter including total biscuit, boogie2988, Patrick klepek and Jeff Gerstman. None of whom have replied or anything.

The police, today.

Watchdog

I think Doc on here is looking at getting the guardian involved with a few people's stories.

I will put something together to send to various media outlets in the new year maybe.

So far I've contacted,

Various 'personalities' on Twitter including total biscuit, boogie2988 ... None of whom have replied or anything.

What, the champions of consumer justice and ethics haven't replied? Can't believe it...

• Upvote 1

It's one thing I've always found strange with game websites, personalities etc. People are very quick to jump on a publisher for mistakes they've made, a recent example being Ubisoft (not undeservedly I would say, to an extent) or for publishers and scummy DLC methods etc.

But heaven forbid a customer gets fucked over by a platform holder. Noone seems to ever give a shit about poor joe schmo having legitimate issues. The number of times I've seen people bring up Sonys fucking horrific customer service on other sites like GAF etc and then actually being shouted down and called idiots. It just feels a bit, I don't know, a bit hypocritical and strange. Criticise in one way but ignore issues in another. Never really made sense to me.

You can't REALLY have a go at them though. It could cost them a job. Although it sucks that no one has the balls to stand up, you can't really get too angry if it's putting their job on the line.

This needs to be exposed at consumer level. Pockets of you went with the tumblr idea is sure as hell do my best to bring it to people's attention. Obviously I'm not a big shot but I have a few people interested in it all already.

Also have you contacted your bank? Can they not do anything seeing as it's a fraudulent payment?

Has there been any stuff like this with Microsoft (I'm a very occasional Discussion browser and have only noticed the PS4 cases)? Sony's attitude looks likely to be the deciding factor that'll push me towards and Xbox One when the time finally comes to purchase.

If you really want to get involved with all this, why not set up a tumblr? Seriously.

Start with something small like getting people to remove their card details from PSN. Not boycott as such, just something simple to get noticed then if you get enough attention but without reply start ramping it up (cancelling PSN and what not), link it to Facebook and twitter push the hash tag thing. The more people this happens to, the more people will join. It might fall on its arse, but theres a chance it could take off and get noticed.

Start with this forum, see how many negs you get.

• Downvote 1

You can't REALLY have a go at them though. It could cost them a job. Although it sucks that no one has the balls to stand up, you can't really get too angry if it's putting their job on the line.

This needs to be exposed at consumer level. Pockets of you went with the tumblr idea is sure as hell do my best to bring it to people's attention. Obviously I'm not a big shot but I have a few people interested in it all already.

Also have you contacted your bank? Can they not do anything seeing as it's a fraudulent payment?

Cheers. Will let you know if I do anything. Can't go through bank as it was pre paid credit from codes and stuff, don't have bank cards on there. I'd get a code from cdkeys instead usually.

Also, I'm told their policy is to ban your psn account if you do any chargebacks. Not that I'd care at this point but it's another lovely one to be aware of.

Finally got around to removing my card details from PSN tonight. Also removed them from Xbox. From now on I won't be using them and will buy credit from Amazon as and when I need it.

One interesting thing on Xbox is the ability to link it to Paypal rather than your card. I recently had an Ebay dispute which I went through paypal to sort as it was past the time Ebay would deal with it. They investigated and got me a full refund within a month.

I wonder if linking by Paypal rather than card directly would be a good idea generally, because if Paypal investigated and awarded you a refund, then I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft would have any power to deactivate your account like they would do if your bank simply reversed the charge.

Why do you think Sony wouldn't deactivate your account? That's a policy of theirs, not a rule from the credit cards.

Yeah, it's worrying that you could lose a whole library of digital content whether it's Apple, Microsoft, Sony or whoever because you can't pass a security check that has been altered or some innocuous T&Cs have been implemented.

You know, I'm going to stop buying things on platforms without two factor auth. Cheers for the heads up about Origin, can't believe they didn't inform me it had two factor, just turned it on.

Why do you think Sony wouldn't deactivate your account? That's a policy of theirs, not a rule from the credit cards.

I dunno, I just figured that Paypal deciding a refund should be given would have more weight to it than a chargeback initiated by the customer.

On second thoughts, Sony don't appear to care about consumer rights and are relying on these transactions being too small to bother pursuing.

You know, I'm going to stop buying things on platforms without two factor auth. Cheers for the heads up about Origin, can't believe they didn't inform me it had two factor, just turned it on.

Live has it as well. You can even use the Google Authenticator app.

Yup, Microsoft have their own android app too, which can respond to the auth in the notification. I think that's me covered for everything except PSN. Heh.

I think Doc on here is looking at getting the guardian involved with a few people's stories.

I've emailed my contact, summarised the story, passed along your details. I havent heard back, and I assume you haven't either. Will chase over Christmas.

Okay, I've written a piece on tumblr as elmo suggested. It's pretty much the same as what Bradigor has on his site but it can't hurt to have it on more places. I can also go with a more provocative headline as I know I have the stuff to back it up if they get upset about it.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/remjohn