rllmuk
Jimmy Shedders

Batman: Arkham Knight

Rockstar taking on a project they don't own 100% of is about as likely as Rocksteady ever escaping Arkham, tbh.

I might get Knight since I enjoyed the first 2 and I think I've wrung as much superhero fun out of Spider-man as possible. it's in the sale on PSN at the moment, is all the DLC etc worth an extra fiver?

The extra story stuff is not up to much, but the additional challenge rooms and brawls are easily worth a fiver. 

The storytelling is amazing, and as long as you chuck most of your upgrade points into the batmobile early on I found those bits pretty fun. It's just a shame that if you don't those sections are irritating/grindy. 

• Upvote 2

It's amazingly fun, I wasn't feeling it at the start but loved it by the end. Might go back one day and try all the Riddler trophies as I didn't bother much with those this time.

And as @Mugman says, the story is brilliant. The way the Joker is weaved in, the way the whole storyline is resolved, it's brilliant. And not what I was expecting.

• Upvote 1

Definitely upgrade the batmobile’s weapons and manoeuvrability ASAP @Skull Commander, makes such a difference. 

I reckon this is still just inside my top 5 of the generation. As a story-focussed open world game, it’s unsurpassed. 

• Upvote 1

It's also still one of the best looking games this gen. A lesson in what can be achieved when you don't go chasing after the highest resolution. While this does look a touch soft on my 4k TV, it is only a touch, and it still blows almost everything else this gen out of the water in terms of graphics. Such a shame it's not enhanced on the One X, in fact I think it's still 900p on the One (X or otherwise) :lol:

• Upvote 2

Thanks to everyone here I now have restarted Asylum and plan to go through all the sodding things once more :p 

It's surprising just how well AA still stands up in terms of visuals - just really great design work. Sure, the characters all have that early Unreal thing of everyone having the exact same body type, but aside from that it's so god damn moody and lovely.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's also still one of the best looking games this gen. A lesson in what can be achieved when you don't go chasing after the highest resolution. While this does look a touch soft on my 4k TV, it is only a touch, and it still blows almost everything else this gen out of the water in terms of graphics. Such a shame it's not enhanced on the One X, in fact I think it's still 900p on the One (X or otherwise) :lol:

The X didn't exist when it came out, so if it was 900p to make it run in an acceptable manner on the vanilla One, then it will still be 900p on the X. Unless WB would set aside the funds to allow Rocksteady to go back and patch it. But this is the same publisher who willingly cheaped out on the PC version of AK, knowingly fucking it over, and who decided they couldn't be arsed to allow the devs of Origins to fix a critical bug that wiped your saves. So an X Enhancement was never going to happen. PS4 version will be as good as it gets with AK, unless we get a next-gen remaster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the Xbox One X will force better AF, though. Not sure how much of a difference that'll make.

AF?

Knight now looks lovely in PC...I'm sure it's probably still missing bits and bobs from the console version, but whacking on the Nvidia stuff and having everything run at 60fps is pretty wonderful. 

4 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Arkham Knight looks terrible on the One X, jaggies everywhere and you can clearly see the native res is sub full HD.  

4K TV? I had it on both Xbox and PC and couldn’t tell the difference between 900p and 1080p on a 1080p telly. 

Something something specsavers. :coffee:

In fairness, I think some people are more/less susceptible to seeing the difference than others, a bit like screen tearing. 

23 hours ago, JoeK said:

Knight now looks lovely in PC...I'm sure it's probably still missing bits and bobs from the console version, but whacking on the Nvidia stuff and having everything run at 60fps is pretty wonderful. 

I've just picked it up on the PC too and it looks really bloody nice, the particle effects, constant rain, lighting effects and the atmosphere are really special.

Played through Arkham Asylum twice on Xbox 360 and PS3 and really loved it, never played any others but really impressed with the very opening of Knight.

On 26/06/2019 at 13:58, Thor said:

yeah I saw that on twitter. Personally I think that's just Conroy hoping to don the cowl again. While I was replaying Arkham Knight I was thinking about what Rocksteady may be working on, and had a great idea ... but forgot to write it down. 

On 26/06/2019 at 15:25, JoeK said:

I want a Judge Dredd game.

If Rocksteady wont, then R* can.

Your post jogged my memory: Robocop. There are a couple of nods to Robocop in Arkham Knight, and I believe Rocksteady could knock an original Robocop story and indeed game out of the park. 

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Your post jogged my memory: Robocop. There are a couple of nods to Robocop in Arkham Knight, and I believe Rocksteady could knock an original Robocop story and indeed game out of the park. 

Well Robocop's walking speed would give you a better justification for having a car in the game at least.

• Upvote 1

On 27/06/2019 at 23:17, Thor said:

Something something specsavers. :coffee:

In fairness, I think some people are more/less susceptible to seeing the difference than others, a bit like screen tearing. 

I’m usually very good at picking up differences. 

I gave it it a go on my One X yesterday and it still looks great to my eyes. There’s a lot of post processing and buckets of film grain going on so even on my 4K TV I had a hard time telling it’s not native 1080p.

Just putting it out there, that the pc version with the nvidia interactive smoke is still the single best smoke ever in a video game!

Yes its extremely expensive, yes its a bit of a gimmick. But. Its sooooo good :D

I went through it again recently and its testament to how good it is that I stuck it out and did ALL the Riddler stuff again, however the whole game does go a bit too Ubisoft with layering on the drones/towers/bombs 3 or 4 times throughout and The reveal of the Arkham Knight makes the worlds greatest detective look stupid because even as a non comic reader I guessed it a billion miles off a couple of beats into the narrative.

The batmobile is brilliantly implemented though and I loved charging around in it and flipping between being a supercar and a tank at whim.

• Upvote 1

On 26/06/2019 at 15:25, JoeK said:

I want a Judge Dredd game.

If Rocksteady wont, then R* can.

Rebellion announced some licensing projects for their IPs a while ago, hopefully this is one of them :)

I know it's terribly conservative of me, but I'd be absolutely stoked if Rocksteady announced their next game to be another Arkham :lol:

I find so few story-led games to be compelling enough to stick with these days, but Asylum, City and Knight all hit it out of the park for me.

• Upvote 3