IGNORED

Dishonored 2

Moz

I tried running it in very low at 720p and it still runs like crap in some of the more complex areas. I've only got a 1080 like. By crap I mean wild fluctuations in framerate which also make the mouse speed double in sensitivity. Sigh

12 hours ago, Moz said:

Quick tip on PC, You can fix the weird CPU affinity bug by downloading Process Hacker and setting dishonored2.exe to normal/high/realtime and then ticking "save for dishonored2.exe". Otherwise the game keeps resetting itself to low priority CPU usage. People reporting as much as a 20fps boost after doing it. 

This has made the game playable for me - cheers. Still a bit of a shitshow but G-Sync is taking care of most of the jank.

The game itself seems awesome so far. After going low chaos in the first game, I've chosen Emily this time and I'm gonna murder everyone.

10 minutes ago, Meka said:

Does capping the framerate with something like Dxtory not help, or do framerates fluctuate well below 60?

On mine they're fluctuating between 60-144 all the time. I might look into capping it at 60 the whole time for a smoother experience later. On a midrange system I imagine they'd go between 30-60. The problem is that some areas just don't seem optimised at all, the geometry is way too demanding for the engine to render. You'll walk round a corner and your framerate will drop by two thirds for no apparent reason. The real issue is mouse movement is tied to the framerate somehow. It's almost like each frame is a "tick" which pushes the mouse along a little bit as you move it. So scrolling an inch of your mousemat at 60fps rotates you 90 degrees, let's say. But if you keep turning at the same speed, suddenly the framerate drops and you spin a full 180 in the next inch of travel. Does that make sense?

45 minutes ago, davejm said:

Wow, that doesn't bode well for my i7-920 and 970 :(

It's beyond GPU!'s I think.  

There is something fundamentally broken with the engine which even though it looks pretty basic is really struggling with even brute force deployed against it.  Even at low it runs like shit.. 

18 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It's beyond GPU!'s I think.  

There is something fundamentally broken with the engine which even though it looks pretty basic is really struggling with even brute force deployed against it.  Even at low it runs like shit.. 

Yeah, this. Reminds me of building old Quake 2 levels and stuffing them so full of shit that the engine can't cope. 

I'm not one to be bothered about facial animations or voice acting but the stuff in this is pretty awful in places. Corvo's is particularly bad. It's not even that bad in and of itself, but the delivery is so stilted and timed awkwardly that it really sticks out.

Looks ok on PS4 Pro. Default right stick sensitivity is like treacle.

Silly bit in the tutorial:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Moz said:

I tried running it in very low at 720p and it still runs like crap in some of the more complex areas. I've only got a 1080 like. By crap I mean wild fluctuations in framerate which also make the mouse speed double in sensitivity. Sigh

And yet my 1070 is playing the game at mid 40fps while at 3440x1440 with nearly all settings on ultra. Apparently the main problem is due to the game setting it's CPU priority to low and not high like it should do. That's shocking coding.

2 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

And yet my 1070 is playing the game at mid 40fps while at 3440x1440 with nearly all settings on ultra. Apparently the main problem is due to the game setting it's CPU priority to low and not high like it should do. That's shocking coding.

Forcing it to high didn't make any difference at all for me. There is something much more broken within the engine than a simple, albeit stupid,  loss of some CPU power.

4 hours ago, Hexx said:

Spoiler free guide to choosing between the two.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-pick-between-emily-and-corvo-in-dishonored-2/

Well I say choosing - I'm more torn than ever

Flip a coin. I'm going to do both. Emily stealthy and mostly non lethal and Corvo a bit more aggressive.

Some the the writing in this. "The stories were true." - So you thought your dad might be telling porkies about how he's able to zip around and kill people with magic? The magic you saw him use at the start of the game? <_<

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

What was wrong with the first game?

Davejm already answered:

6 hours ago, davejm said:

RE: stealth; there's nothing wrong with it as such (in that it's not broken).  It works as intended.

But it's a really simple implementation of stealth compared to games like Thief (the older ones), Styx etc.  I think that's what Gerbik is referring to.

That's it really. I spoiled the first game for myself by playing it 100% stealth, but the stealth gameplay is way too simplistic for that. Couldn't help myself though as I'm a big fan of the stealth genre. So if the second game is exactly the same in that regard, then I'm better off waiting until it's really cheap sometime in 2017 or 2018. I would just make the same mistake again, even after playing the first Dishonored, Reports about the wonky PC version aren't helping either to be honest and I wonder why so many otherwise reliable devs (I mean, Arkane is one of the good PC devs right? What gives?) are shitting out bad PC versions since the current generation started. Anyway, for now I've decided to go for the apparently awesometastic Tyranny instead which came out on the same day as Dishonored 2.

35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Flip a coin. I'm going to do both. Emily stealthy and mostly non lethal and Corvo a bit more aggressive.

Corvo first - usual approach of stealth until the shit goes down, then all bets are off. So far (just starting mission 4) only 1 or 2 people have died per 'mission'.

I've noticed some minor lighting glitches on vanilla PS4 - light flashes in darker areas (no, not pissed-off Blood Flies).

6700k, 1080, 1440p, Auto (so almost everything on Ultra, but not *everything*); At least the tutorial, first level, and the first bit of the main city I've played seems pretty stuck at 60, though I'm playing with a controller rather than mouse...

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

Forcing it to high didn't make any difference at all for me. There is something much more broken within the engine than a simple, albeit stupid,  loss of some CPU power.

It did make a small difference for me as the game now goes between mid 40's to 60 FPS even with Vsync on (oh boy the tearing is god awful without running it).

8 minutes ago, Dave White said:

I love playing on pc but it's a lottery if a new game will work as intended sadly. 

I'm lucky that I've had no problems so far and really can't praise this enough. 

Am I being a dipstick but you can't spot people right? 

I've not noticed a way of spotting people. I'm also getting the occasional crash when people are dominoed up; though domino-ing people and then watching them shoot each other is strangely fun.