rllmuk

Dishonored 2

Finished this today just in the nick of time. The 1.3 update was pushed out and it introduced frame pacing issues I hadn't experienced before.

Overall it was an excellent game. I played it "my way" so mostly stealthy, but I had fun with weapons and traps and committed some murder. I'll have to play through as Emily once I've cleared my "I got a new PC" backlog.

I'm currently on my second playthrough, this time as corvo.

I've decided to go for high stealth this time, with no killing. Already I can see a change in the chaos level of each area: there are sections which had blood fly infestations as Emily, but now have people living there.

I've also changed my approach to dealing with the nests. When I first started playing I shot them with fire bolts. After a few levels I discovered it's far easier to rush then with a sword. 

8 minutes ago, fasteasyfree said:

Is NG+ available yet, or are we still waiting?

I've completed both campaigns now, with medium chaos as Emily, and super-sneaky-no-kills-corvo.

I feel the need for a bloodthirsty rampage.

Still waiting.

20 hours ago, fasteasyfree said:

Is NG+ available yet, or are we still waiting?

I've completed both campaigns now, with medium chaos as Emily, and super-sneaky-no-kills-corvo.

I feel the need for a bloodthirsty rampage.

We’re pleased to announce that Dishonored 2’s first free game update with New Game + will be officially available worldwide on Monday, 19th December for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 and will release today as a beta on PC.

Dishonored 2 offers the freedom of choice to play and improvise as you like. With this new mode, combine Empress Emily Kaldwin’s abilities with Royal Protector Corvo Attano’s signature powers to create any custom combo of multiple powers that you can imagine.

Unlocked once you complete the game as either Emily or Corvo, New Game Plus lets you begin anew as either character with access to each hero’s full suite of abilities plus all the Bonecharm Traits and Runes collected from your previous playthrough that you can re-assign to choose the powers you want.

Even more options to customize your experience will arrive in January with the game’s second free update that will include two new features: Mission Select and additional Custom Difficulty Settings that further tailor to your playstyle and adjust the challenge based on a wide array of settings. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more details on the second free update.

• Upvote 2

Finished this the other day.

I'm in 2 minds about it - its brilliant but simply not as good as the original (and its DLC even moreso) . Of course, I cant wait to go back in as Corvo on NG+ but its not as mindblowing as I was expecting (I even got the special edition with the helmet thing as a birthday present as I was so looking forward to it)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, sandman said:

Finished this the other day.

I'm in 2 minds about it - its brilliant but simply not as good as the original (and its DLC even moreso) . Of course, I cant wait to go back in as Corvo on NG+ but its not as mindblowing as I was expecting (I even got the special edition with the helmet thing as a birthday present as I was so looking forward to it)

My GOTY 2016.

IMG_0092.PNG

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Does anyone recall where the apartment building key is located in the pre-amble to the Clockwork mansion mission?  It appears to be necessary to 

Hide contents

get the 3rd whale oil tank down to the basement area to blow the hole in the wall.

Maybe in the apartment above ;)

5 hours ago, Retroguy said:

What's the pc performance like in this now? Got an i5-3570 with 8GB RAM and a GTX 970- am I better getting the PS4 version (got a PS4 pro but no 4K tv)?

I'd say it depends how sensitive you are to micro stutter and frame pacing issues.  They haven't added patches that significantly improve FPS; but they've added more graphical options (better v-sync settings) and have fixed issues with the settings auto-detect and the broken adaptive resolution option is now working.

I've upgraded to a 1070 now; but I played the first few levels with a GTX 970 (and with an older CPU to you) and it was fine.  Was seeing 60fps most of the time; with the odd dip and stutter but nothing that affected enjoyment.  Neogaf would have you believe that the game is totally unplayable; but even videos that people have posted showing the frame pacing problems and I couldn't even see what they were talking about - so I guess I just don't notice it.  Maybe take a look at some videos first.   I'd suggest it's going to run better than the PS4; which would be locked at 30fps.  You could probably do the same on PC (lock to 30fps if you wanted) and turn the settings up.

1.2 patch fixed the game in general for me. 1.3 and subsequent patches have re-introduced frame pacing issues which I find quite distracting. Using triple buffering means I got solid 60FPS for the most part. Unfortunately sometimes one of those frames got displayed more than once!

I managed to finish it BEFORE 1.3 but I'm not in a hurry to try NG+ for a while!

10 hours ago, suzzopher said:

Finally started this tonight, what a corker this game is. The first game was my favourite game the year it came out and this has started just as strong.

Glad to see there's a new game + too.

I agree - I have been playing this a lot over the xmas period and are enjoying as much if not more than the original. Possible game of the year for me :)

• Upvote 1

After completing this with Corvo and using a more traditional move set (and thankfully unaware of the more gimmicky levels), I'm still not sure if I prefer it to the first game.  Only one way to get closer to the answer...

A question -

Is it possible to ghost the first mission - the jail break?  The explosion is so loud it brings guards running from somewhere even if you have cleared the whole area and left the bodies to the rats.

I started with a vague plan to be a stealth killer and now I'm just a killer, still finding bits and pieces I've missed before when doing fast no-kill runs.

25 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

After completing this with Corvo and using a more traditional move set (and thankfully unaware of the more gimmicky levels), I'm still not sure if I prefer it to the first game.  Only one way to get closer to the answer...

A question -

Is it possible to ghost the first mission - the jail break?  The explosion is so loud it brings guards running from somewhere even if you have cleared the whole area and left the bodies to the rats.

I started with a vague plan to be a stealth killer and now I'm just a killer, still finding bits and pieces I've missed before when doing fast no-kill runs.

In the first game yeah? You can stealth that jail break, although stealthing a level to me means not killing any one.

Use the pipes on the side of the wall to get to the room where you blast the door open. Take out the two guards quietly, or kill them if you have to. If you don't kill them, leave them away from the blast of the door obviously. Don't plant the bomb just yet, go to the controls and open the sliding door.

Now make a clear path from where you plant the bomb, to the door control. There is a chair in the way I think. Now plant the bomb, and then leg it to the door control, and close it. You should have enough time from the countdown to the door closing that no guards will get into the room. They won't reopen the door from their side.

Then just dive into the water, and carefully stealth to end the mission.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

In the first game yeah? You can stealth that jail break, although stealthing a level to me means not killing any one.

Use the pipes on the side of the wall to get to the room where you blast the door open. Take out the two guards quietly, or kill them if you have to. Don't plant the bomb just yet, go to the controls and open the sliding door.

Now make a clear path from where you plant the bomb, to the door control. There is a chair in the way I think. Now plant the bomb, and then leg it to the door control, and close it. You should have enough time from the countdown to the door closing that no guards will get into the room. They won't reopen the door from their side.

Then just dive into the water, and carefully stealth to end the mission.

Thanks so much!  I'll do this on a no-kill no-detection run (which is going to be minimalist I reckon, avoiding as much interaction as possible).

Stealthy killing is viable, particularly with the perk which vaporises them if they are unaware of you (but keeps their loot).  This was the general idea for this play (as well as keeping any bodies either hidden in dumpsters, eaten or safely put onto light fittings or ledges), but it all went tits up in the distillery when after failing to disarm the trap I used trip mines to slaughter the chaps in the works, which in turn brought the lot outdoors into the fray but since the corridor was narrow they were easy meat for the gun, and when the achievement flashed up for 5 kills I thought sod it, let's roll with things as they are!