IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

i just watched the gamespot video and they didn't have any problems with it.

I kinda annoying to watch people act silly in it though, just one of those things where you wish people would stop being dicks.

The whole software line up does seem pretty mundane and it seems all the excitement is for VR rather than any one of the many game that are coming for it.

I can see it collecting dust but i'm going to continue and go ahead with the pre order or i'll forever be longing to try it. It's something i need to get out of my system before i can move on.

Keza McDonald has weighed in, calling it her favourite vr headset.

Most importantly:

Unlike others, I’ve not had issues with the camera tracking on PSVR. I had one game crash on me, but otherwise everything has run smoothly. The resolution isn't as good as on Vive or Oculus, sure, but the difference feels minor to me (and the PS4 Pro will presumably improve both). It doesn’t make me feel sick, which is a problem I’ve had with all the other VR headsets – I could even manage an hour of RIGS, a fast-paced mech combat game (my personal VR fantasy), without wanting to take the thing off and go for a lie down.

I did find that the view randomly drifted to the left over time, something that the calibration reset could never solve; I had to restart the game when that happened, and it happened twice while playing Driveclub VR. I’m very much hoping this is a problem that can be patched out quickly.

Going by the problems that other journalists have reported with the Move controller tracking, it seems to me that the best solution is not to use them. By all means dig them out if you have them, just don't spent £70 on acquiring them. Use the DualShock instead, it's fine.

She's always seemed very on the ball from the Daft Souls podcasts, so that reassures me.

I just want seated experiences. Driving, flying, space pirating etc.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-vr-headset-reviews?ref=hp

Those are some pretty glowing review scores for something that's already getting branded "the next Kinect" in this thread.

Time will tell I suppose but I'm keeping my pre-order.  It's the most exciting and interesting piece of hardware to come out since the original DS and Wii.  I don't think it's going to be a massive hit like those consoles (and a probable addition to Sony's peripheral graveyard) but I do want to be involved on day 1.  I've got nieces and nephews pestering me to try it already and reactions to the horror experiences like Here They Lie are going to be pure gold.

I didn't even know that Thumper existed until yesterday but that's shot straight to the top of my list.  Do you just buy it through the store on launch day?  Will there be any opportunity to pre load games?

47 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-vr-headset-reviews?ref=hp

Those are some pretty glowing review scores for something that's already getting branded "the next Kinect" in this thread.

Time will tell I suppose but I'm keeping my pre-order.  It's the most exciting and interesting piece of hardware to come out since the original DS and Wii.

Let's see what those sites said about Kinect

Trusted Reviews

"The fact is, however, that Kinect delivers on Microsoft's promise of turning you into a controller, and in a way that will leave those with enough space to play it in flabbergasted, gobsmacked, thrilled and entertained. Big questions remain over Kinect. Can the software be improved to reduce lag times or work better in a smaller space? Can Microsoft deliver a stream of great and innovative games? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever happens, this is an impressive start.
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/xbox-360-kinect-review#tHVjpPqIbU7lX0Ki.99"

CNET 

"THE GOOD Controller-free motion gaming; full-body motion sensor; solid game library at launch; voice control; games will have you very active; almost impossible to fool.

THE BAD Timing-based learning curve; menu and video navigation is occasionally wonky and gets old fast; requires a lot of room to play; majority of games require standing; hard-core gamers may not feel satisfied; requires separate power supply when used with older Xbox 360 consoles.

THE BOTTOM LINE With its impressive body tracking and unique, controller-free experience, Kinect is great for casual gaming parties and workouts--assuming you have enough room to play it."

Look, I'm not saying it is the next Kinect, even though one of the games they played on the GB stream was straight out of Kinect Adventures. I'm just saying that people should proably reel in their expectations considering that this is the cheapest of the three headsets. As an Oculus owner I can tell you that even when everything is working fine, it's not really that much of a draw once you're over the initial wow factor. Nobody knows what to do with the tech yet.

The best game I've played is Metroid Prime. That's where VR is at currently; Nintendo made the best game 14 years ago without even trying. Even then, I'd still rather play it on the TV.

Most of us don't have the luxury or will to spend the money on a PC and oculus. I utterly agree most of us will be where you are within 3-4 months where we don't put it on for weeks at a time and generally have no idea if and when anything is coming of any worth.

Its like smoking or weight loss though, you have to reach that point by getting there yourself.

I's keeping my pre-order and I'm mega keen to see what it's like. Some of the early reports and the issues Giant Bomb have me slightly concerned but not enough that I`d be willing to drop my pre-order.

I've also got a pro preordered :) and if I have to admit I did that mainly because I thought it would benefit VR the most.

22 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Most of us don't have the luxury or will to spend the money on a PC and oculus. I utterly agree most of us will be where you are within 3-4 months where we don't put it on for weeks at a time and generally have no idea if and when anything is coming of any worth.

Its like smoking or weight loss though, you have to reach that point by getting there yourself.

And that's fine. If I didn't have an Oculus I'd be right there with you guys, especially for Rez. It's just a bit worrying that some people seem to be brushing aside the tracking issues as a minor inconvenience without realising that a minor inconvenience in VR results in a major headache and an hour lying down in a dark room. 

12 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

And that's fine. If I didn't have an Oculus I'd be right there with you guys, especially for Rez. It's just a bit worrying that some people seem to be brushing aside the tracking issues as a minor inconvenience without realising that a minor inconvenience in VR results in a major headache and an hour lying down in a dark room. 

If I get any of that then I'm selling it right away. I'm fine with everything to the point I don't even know what motion sickness feels like but eye strain is an issue for me with 3D glasses. To the point I can only last 2-5 minutes before getting a full ache on my right eye.im not expecting to have those kinds of problems with these devices though.

like I say, if there's any dark rooms and laying down needed it'll get shipped out to the highest bidder.

18 hours ago, Flub said:

I also want Battlezone but I'm not paying 50 quid for it.

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4BA54-battlezone-vr

2 hours ago, murray said:

Sure I could wait another 18-24 months to buy a more polished product, but where's the fun in that?

People seem to think that Sony should have all of VRs problems sorted by October 13th, but we're miles from that. 

In all honesty, we're looking at 5-10 years before VR is at a place where no-one gets sick, the hardware is state of the art, the headsets are lightweight, cheap, easy to use, and developers have learned what works and what doesn't work in VR.

This is where I am as well.  It's VR in the home.  It's not perfect, but that's what happens with technology - the first smartphones weren't great, but they evolved; the first televisions weren't ideal but over time they got better. Can you imagine if the various review sites were around at the time of the Playstation and Saturn debuts?  "You frequently see inside the character models, the sides of the screen distort, there aren't enough polygons to make recognisable faces.  This technology is never going appeal to anyone apart from a niche."

I've got two bottles of ginger ale coming in the Ocado order.  Can't wait.

11 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I'm fine with everything to the point I don't even know what motion sickness feels like but eye strain is an issue for me with 3D glasses. *snip* I'm not expecting to have those kinds of problems with these devices though.

I'd mentally steel yourself, I'm afraid. But I wish you luck.

Tracking issues are *not* a minor inconvenience; particularly any issues that involve head-tracking. But hopefully it's just some faulty cameras.

12 minutes ago, Xevious said:

I've got two bottles of ginger ale coming in the Ocado order.  Can't wait.

Is that really a thing? Is it a placebo? I remember my grandad telling me to sit on a newspaper when I felt car sick, like it was a cure. I totally believed him and it seemed to work!

Motion sickness is a proper bummer though. If you try to persevere and battle on it can take hours to recover and totally ruin your day.

Another thing GiantBomb said was that the Moves didn't have vibration but that isn't true.

Q: Does the PlayStation Move motion controller include vibration feedback?
A: Yes. The PlayStation Move motion controller includes vibration feedback in the body of the controller.

7 DAYS YOU GUYS :omg:

Ill-fated livestreams and knee-jerk cancellations be damned, I'm excited to find out what happens when this is in the hands of the people, myself included. :wub: I'm not going to blindly pretend that some critics haven't experienced problems, but with such a mixed reception I'm remaining open minded.

Despite the negativity I'm feeling a wee bit of regret at cancelling my pre-order, it was bound to happen; I couldn't keep out of this thread :lol:  Hope all you guys getting it at launch enjoy it, I genuinely can't wait to read the reactions and see how it pans out in the coming weeks/months :) 

The comparison with a roller coaster isn't quite right.  The sickness comes from the visual disconnect with what your balance/motion senses are reporting.  On a roller coaster you see a dip or a loop and your inner ear registers a dip or a loop.

With VR your brain says "loop" and your ears says "nope"

I think it's the inverse of travel sickness -  like reading a book in a car and getting car sick as the car jolts you about.  there your visual system is saying "everythings still" and yet your inner ear is saying "moving"

6 minutes ago, Valver said:

The comparison with a roller coaster isn't quite right.  The sickness comes from the visual disconnect with what your balance/motion senses are reporting.  On a roller coaster you see a dip or a loop and your inner ear registers a dip or a loop.

I think it's the inverse of travel sickness -  like reading a book in a car and getting car sick as the car jolts you about.  there your visual system is saying "everythings still" and yet your inner ear is saying "moving"

Yeah I never get motion sick with coasters etc but when I tried a demo with an Oculous rift it was sick city. Absolutely horrible feeling.

Yeah, I always thought I never got motion sickness with games - turned out I hadn't played the right (wrong?) ones. Max Payne 2 was the first one to give me it, and honestly we kind of undersell it by calling it "motion sickness", it's this growing nausea that lasts for like 90 minutes even after you stop and makes you want to do nothing except lie down.

44 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

7 DAYS YOU GUYS :omg:

Ill-fated livestreams and knee-jerk cancellations be damned, I'm excited to find out what happens when this is in the hands of the people, myself included. :wub: I'm not going to blindly pretend that some critics haven't experienced problems, but with such a mixed reception I'm remaining open minded.

Ignoring experts, talking up normal salt of the earth people followed by a general feeling of sickness that won't go away after everything comes crashing down? This all seems so familiar.

I'm sticking with my preorder despite some obvious concerns. In my previous house the living room was a big space which had lots of skylights and glass which plays merry havoc with stuff like Kinect and Wii during the day - if I still lived there I think I'd cancel PSVR. Happily my new place is much smaller and has wooden blinds which can blackout sunlight almost entirely so I'm hoping it'll work fine.

I've spent quite a bit of time on Vive round at a friends place - set up in a bright well lit room. He's had all sorts of trouble with tracking in parts of the room - he's tried moving the lighthouses around but to no avail. It generally works flawlessly apart from when you walk to two areas in the room - areas which are perfectly covered by the lighthouses. At this point it goes apeshit, not much fun when that happens.

Thought of getting a Vive but think the games available look a whole lot more compelling on PSVR. Probably just the promise of the new.

10 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah, I always thought I never got motion sickness with games - turned out I hadn't played the right (wrong?) ones. Max Payne 2 was the first one to give me it, and honestly we kind of undersell it by calling it "motion sickness", it's this growing nausea that lasts for like 90 minutes even after you stop and makes you want to do nothing except lie down.

Yup and this is the important part for everyone going in fresh. If you start feeling a little strange and perhaps a little queasy, then stop immediately. Do not think you can push through and it will settle, you need to take that headset off as soon as possible. You might find that after time you can stomach more but never ever push yourself. It's not a good time for anyone.

25 minutes ago, Valver said:

It's an evolutionary defence against poisoning, interestly. :)

12 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yup and this is the important part for everyone going in fresh. If you start feeling a little strange and perhaps a little queasy, then stop immediately. Do not think you can push through and it will settle, you need to take that headset off as soon as possible.

Exactly this. I've never felt nauseous gaming before and didn't have any issues when first playing with Vive. That was until I played that wingsuit game which had me breaking out into a cold sweat within a few minutes and nearly throwing up a minute or so later.

On 2016-10-6 at 14:46, SweatyTravolta said:

Ignoring experts1, talking up normal salt of the earth people2 followed by a general feeling of sickness3 that won't go away after everything comes crashing down? This all seems so familiar.

Well, which part of "I'm not going to blindly pretend that some critics haven't experienced problems" sounds like "ignoring experts"? I'm just keen to see how the launch reaction compares, and what it means for the future of the device - depending on whether that reaction is good or bad. Furthermore, 2I said I'm excited to find out what happens, not necessarily that those people's experiences will be good enough to justify talking up. Besides, 3unexpected nausea and an epic post-launch backlash can be exciting too, if not exactly pleasant. :)

Just because I don't care about preorder cancellation stories doesn't mean that I think it'll be a perfect experience for everyone, and just because I'm looking forward to seeing how the launch goes doesn't mean that I think the launch will be the best thing ever. I just think it's an interesting time for gaming. :D 

In any case, you've made up your mind and that's great. At least you won't feel like one of those numpties that cancelled their PSVR headset and is now scouring the internet to see if anyone has them in stock.