PlayStation VR

rubberducker

I have a Rift, but I thought the PSVR headset was fantastic. It's definitely better designed, and much less of a faff to fit and calibrate. It's the specs of the console that will limit what it can do, but there's no reason it can't shine in its own right. I'd love to see Rez Infinite on PC for a start.

21 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

This first impressions video has got me excited to get mine, i've never tried VR but I thought PSVR would be lacking in comparison to the VIVE or Oculus.

Big flashy games will be a problem, obviously, but for the vast majority of VR stuff I very much doubt you'd notice which you were wearing. If you put them on and quickly compared to another headset digital foundary styleee you'd notice, but it's such a weird feeling that your brain has got a lot more to be thinking about.

I asked Amazon live chat why my delivery of the PS VR is scheduled for the 14th instead of the 13th.  My Live chat guy seemed to think that it was because I changed the payment method on my order at one stage.

I'll be sooooo jelly on launch day after getting so pumped for some day one action but, ya know, first world problems and all that :)

18 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

I asked Amazon live chat why my delivery of the PS VR is scheduled for the 14th instead of the 13th.  My Live chat guy seemed to think that it was because I changed the payment method on my order at one stage.

I'll be sooooo jelly on launch day after getting so pumped for some day one action but, ya know, first world problems and all that :)

I hope not cause I changed mine last night because it was previously on an expired card.

34 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

Same thing happened to me, @Professor_k.

I ordered on the morning pre-orders went live, was given a delivery date of the 13th, had to change card details, and it went to the 14th.

I've since talked to Amazon customer chat who assure me that it will arrive on the 13th, but we'll see.

I wasn't too bothered as I'm working on the 13th, but when loads of people on Reddit announced that they were getting theirs on the 13th, even though they had only ordered in August, I talked to Amazon again and they said I'd have it for launch.

Countless other people on Reddit have experienced the same thing after changing either their payment details, shipping method or delivery address.

So if anyone here needs to change any of those things I listed above, do it through customer service chat instead the order page, as Amazon might be able to do something that minimises risk of a later delivery date.

39 minutes ago, murray said:

Same thing happened to me, @Professor_k Ordered on the morning pre-orders went live, was given a delivery date of the 13th, had to change card details, and it went to the 14th.

I've since talked to Amazon customer chat who assure me that it will arrive on the 13th, but we'll see.

I wasn't too bothered as I'm working on the 13th, but when loads of people on Reddit announced that they were getting theirs on the 13th, even though they had only ordered in August, I talked to Amazon again and they said I'd have it for launch.

Countless other people on Reddit have experienced the same thing after changing either their payment details, shipping method or delivery address.

If anyone here needs to change any of those, do it through customer service chat instead of the order, as they might be able to do something that minimises risk of a later delivery date.

I'm still optimistic that it might come on the 13th because... well, why wouldn't it?  We'll see though :)

Imagine if this thing gets absolutely shit on when the umbongo lifts tomorrow?  I'm gonna cancel and spend the Money on a sex swing and 15 bottles of vodka.

1 hour ago, Professor_k said:

Well I changed my payment method yesterday and it still says delivered the 13th.  Hopefully wont change.

17 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

I'm still optimistic that it might come on the 13th because... well, why wouldn't it?  We'll see though :)

Imagine if this thing gets absolutely shit on when the umbongo lifts tomorrow?  I'm gonna cancel and spend the Money on a sex swing and  15 bottles of vodka.

even if it is shit the media won't shit on it completely. Two factors

1) Games "journalists" love new toys and the shine won't be off it yet.

2) They won't bite the hand that feeds them quite that hard. This is equivalent to a new console release, a big deal in the industry they will be looking for the positive.

I think things are better now than they were in terms of bought reviews etc but for a big ticket item I think it is pretty much bulletproof. Even Kinect got a relatively easy ride on its release considering it had glaring flaws.

The best you'll get is some outliers who stroke their beards and mention some nebulous negatives like " future support may falter" " shows promise but needs stronger support".

EDIT - I should point I am hugely positive and expecting it to be fantastic. I also expect it to have very little software support and end up a pricey gimmick... but what a brilliant gimmick it will be! If you love games you gotta love gimmicks too.

9 minutes ago, Sng said:

I think they'll mostly all say that the tech is pretty good, the design is great, but the games are all pretty bad/shallow.

EDIT: And that it's worth it for Rez and racing games.

nah I think the games will get a better reception than on Vive/Rift in that respect.

DriveClubVR, Battlezone, Rez and Rigs if they are decent (and previews indicate they are) will give it a decent launch lineup

Looking forward to the Giant Bomb quick look to see how they react vs Rift/Vive thing they did.

for people that have played VR before, how great a sense of spacial awareness do you get from it?  the thought of being in a car, or a FPS arena and having that real world sense of your surroundings is really what drags me into this, I hope it doesnt leave me feeling let down in that regard.  I could imagine learning arena maps really quickly as by looking around you get a proper sense of everything and its place in the 3D world.

16 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

for people that have played VR before, how great a sense of spacial awareness do you get from it?  the thought of being in a car, or a FPS arena and having that real world sense of your surroundings is really what drags me into this, I hope it doesnt leave me feeling let down in that regard.  I could imagine learning arena maps really quickly as by looking around you get a proper sense of everything and its place in the 3D world.

Hugely.

There's an underwater game on Vive called TheBlu, where you experience some underwater locations, including one where you walk around on the deck of this sunken ship on the seabed. And there's this bit when an absolutely enormous whale that appears at one point, and it feels like such a real, memorable moment. I think we're going to get a lot of those on PSVR, and VR in general.

And to your point about being in an FPS arena, I think we're going to get to a point with those that we're going to have a much stronger connection and understanding of the environment because it's going to feel like a real place. 

We know our favourite FPS maps like the back of our hands because we've played them over and over, but I think experiencing them in VR will mean we feel more like we have visited a place, an actual place, rather than just loaded up a map.

I've tried out Cardboard a few times, tried a couple of Oculus demos and used a Vive at work extensively, and a few of those experiences, although relatively conservative, will stay with me for a long time. If any of those experiences weren't VR, they wouldn't do a thing for me, but experiencing them in virtual reality made it feel like much more intense and memorable.

32 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

My only experience is PSVR on the crappy Lahnderrrn mini-game thing and it's incredibly strange. It doesn't feel like it's real-life, it's definitely playing a videogame, but then just as equally it's nothing like playing a videogame. I think the best description I could give it is that it made me feel curious. I wanted to pick up a drink and move it aside so it didn't spill, I wanted to look in the glove compartment. I'm really not normally that sort of player.

I think all your expectations will be wrong, but not in necessarily a good or a bad way. Just wrong.

Ugh, I dragged my heels picking up some PS3 Move controllers from CEX for £15 and now they've jacked the price up to £30 each. They're also advertising them under the Playstation 4 accessories category but the description of the controllers is clearly from the PS3 and they've just changed the category they appear in. 

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SP3MCON001#.V_PAvygrIdU

Guess it's ebay now as there's no way I'm paying 60 quid for them

1 hour ago, Sng said:

I think they'll mostly all say that the tech is pretty good, the design is great, but the games are all pretty bad/shallow.

EDIT: And that it's worth it for Rez and racing games.

Yeah Driveclub VR has got absolutely rave previews. Eurogamer said it was basically better than anything else out there at the moment .

And its costing £15!

(plus £350 for the PSVR....

..Plus £40 for the camera

...Plus £50 for a wheel stand

... Plus £130 for a wheel).

But £15 ! Bargain!

14 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Yeah Driveclub VR has got absolutely rave previews. Eurogamer said it was basically better than anything else out there at the moment .

And its costing £15!

(plus £350 for the PSVR....

..Plus £40 for the camera

...Plus £50 for a wheel stand

... Plus £130 for a wheel).

But £15 ! Bargain!

amortisation, bitches!

40 minutes ago, murray said:

Yeah, no amount of describing VR actually prepares you for what you feel and experience when you get to try it.

Which makes it such a hard sell for people who don't try a demo for themselves.

I would love to try a demo but Sony aren't making it easy if you don't live near a major city.

11 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

I would love to try a demo but Sony aren't making it easy if you don't live near a major city.

That's true. I live in Leeds, which is a major city, and I'd still have to travel elsewhere to see it.

It's ok for me though; I know what VR is like, and I'm there for PSVR because of that, but I do think they've fucked it a bit by not making their tour last longer and more widespread.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

even if it is shit the media won't shit on it completely. Two factors

1) Games "journalists" love new toys and the shine won't be off it yet.

2) They won't bite the hand that feeds them quite that hard. This is equivalent to a new console release, a big deal in the industry they will be looking for the positive.

I think things are better now than they were in terms of bought reviews etc but for a big ticket item I think it is pretty much bulletproof. Even Kinect got a relatively easy ride on its release considering it had glaring flaws.

The best you'll get is some outliers who stroke their beards and mention some nebulous negatives like " future support may falter" " shows promise but needs stronger support".

EDIT - I should point I am hugely positive and expecting it to be fantastic. I also expect it to have very little software support and end up a pricey gimmick... but what a brilliant gimmick it will be! If you love games you gotta love gimmicks too.

If you shit all over something you'll get way more clicks.

I asked the guys doing the demo in Edinburgh why there has been so little press and media coverage - they said "it's hard to get across what it's like... you have to experience it firsthand which is why we're doing events like this...". Seems crazy then that they're not doing more of them. They also said there were stock shortages, and that Sony were deliberately not producing loads of PSVRs so they wouldn't get caught with surplus stock.

While I think it's true you do have to experience VR for yourself, and I can see it's hard to show what it's like on TV, I'm really surprised they haven't produced some big-budget ads for it - maybe they will for Christmas?

14 minutes ago, jiroczech said:

I asked the guys doing the demo in Edinburgh why there has been so little press and media coverage - they said "it's hard to get across what it's like... you have to experience it firsthand which is why we're doing events like this...". Seems crazy then that they're not doing more of them. They also said there were stock shortages, and that Sony were deliberately not producing loads of PSVRs so they wouldn't get caught with surplus stock.

While I think it's true you do have to experience VR for yourself, and I can see it's hard to show what it's like on TV, I'm really surprised they haven't produced some big-budget ads for it - maybe they will for Christmas?

I think the hype will build after launch next week, when those of us that have had them delivered and set them up and played with the for a bit are literally dragging people off the street saying "LOOK AT THIS!!" just so we have someone to talk to about how fucking awesome it is.