IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

That is a great price for a full game. Got the wheel and pedals, got the PSVR due on day one. All ready to go.

My only fear now is that this makes me sick. Heard a few reports of people fine with other stuff getting the cold sweats with DCVR.

I wonder if Sony will rate games on how intense they are, as Oculus does with comfort ratings? I'm guessing if it risks a sale, the answer will be nope.

Man, I would love a wheel. 

Seeing as Farpoint and the Aim Controller appears to be a 2017 release, I might try and pick one up. Wish I had got one of those cheap T150's a few weeks back. 

Fuck, guys, I'm well pumped for PSVR.

25 minutes ago, murray said:

Fuck, guys, I'm well pumped for PSVR.

Yup me too . The more access PlayStation vids I watch the more excited I get . I showed the DC one to a guy at work to day and he spent all afternoon quizzing me about what to buy 

I'm a little less hyped after this tabloid scaremongering.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sonys-new-playstation-vr-headset-8940998

The potential effect it could have on eyes was always a concern given that my vision is already slightly impaired by floaters which I blame on all that time staring at tablets and phones (and 3DS).

So I have my PSVR ordered along with camera etc...but now I'm having second thoughts. I haven't really followed VR posts on here, but assumed you were just looking at a screen close up? I have a wonky right eye and now I'm wondering if it will work for me, or is it more like the 3DS and I need both eyes to see the effect properly? I can't see the 3D effect on a 3DS at all. I hope I can get some use out of this?

Ah you'll regret it if you cancel now. At least see how it is. Can return if it messes with your vision. 

What's the viewing angle on these? I mean, when you're wearing it does the screen cover your complete vision or is it just like you have a huge screen really close to your face? So black borders around the screen?

7 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I'm not completely discounting it, but it is the Mirror.  Also, one of the issues it brings up is your eyes always focussing on something that is right in front of your eyes, and not naturally focussing on something in the distance.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that has to be bullshit, surely?  The stereoscopic effect means, as far as your eyes are concerned, you are focussing on something in the distance, with the screens being, essentially, windows or a pair of glasses. 

Your brain perceives depth due to the stereoscopic effect, but your eyes have to focus on the screen otherwise whatever you're looking at would appear blurry. So for the duration of use your eye muscles are holding the same focal length - inches from your face.

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

So I have my PSVR ordered along with camera etc...but now I'm having second thoughts. I haven't really followed VR posts on here, but assumed you were just looking at a screen close up? I have a wonky right eye and now I'm wondering if it will work for me, or is it more like the 3DS and I need both eyes to see the effect properly? I can't see the 3D effect on a 3DS at all. I hope I can get some use out of this?

The depth is part of the effect, but it's really the headtracking/encapsulation of your vision that makes it: when it works, you're somewhere else and the sky is miles above your head, and not your ceiling.

If you don't have 3D vision in the real world, then you won't have it magically in this world, but you won't know what you're missing, or miss it. Hopefully the same cues you currently use to judge distance will still work (I can't see why they wouldn't - eg. Just moving your head slightly will change the perspective in your left eye, which is very different from moving a camera with a thumb stick to change perspective).

13 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

How is that any different from wearing glasses? 

Because you don't just cross / uncross your eyes to focus; which is all you do in VR.  Think of how a camera focuses; the aperture changes too.  In VR this isn't required of your eyes, so I guess you're not using those same nerves/muscles when in VR. 

Edit: basically because the world behind glasses actually has real depth.  The world behind VR goggles has no depth

16 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

But the point of VR is to create depth perception, which as far as I am aware, it does. Sorry dood, I'm not convinced. :P

giphy.gif

What's not to get?  The eye focuses on things in multiple ways.  When you're in VR, you don't use the entire range of your eyes capabiliteis; specifically focusing, the kind of focus you can do if you close one eye and look at objects near/far.   The reason for this is because you are literally looking at a flat image.  You can test this yourself in VR by closing one eye: everything will be in focus, your eye doesn't have to adjust by itself to differentiate between near / far objects.   Because you don't use the same muscles/reflexes for this in VR, it can potentially lead to myopia if used extensively. 

Depth perception is different, and the effect is so strong in VR that you don't even really notice the focusing I mention above is missing.  But don't get me wrong, as convincing as VR is, there are times where things feel wrong/like you're getting cross-eyed. 

But what do I know?! It's not like I've owned an Oculus DK2 and now a CV1! :P

10 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Why do people like me who need glasses for distance need to wear them in VR if my eyes are focusing inches away?

I am not sure, it's probably something to do with how far away your eyes think the screen is via the lens distortion.  

From personal experience, it seems that some people need to bring their glasses into VR and others don't; it didn't seem to come down to something as simple as near/far sightedness.  

YMMV, is basically what I'm getting at. 

Don't have time for a long post, but a number of wrong things have been said that would unfairly worry people/. 

The comments about everything being in focus are true, but the position of that focus is not. The lens in any VR set's entire purpose is to alter the light to make the image appear to come from infinity.

This is the easiest distance for your eyes to focus on and their natural relaxed state*. That can cause issues yes, but the fear of people staring at something an inch away is misleading.

*when people moan about TV, phone screens and say people should be looking at nature - they are promoting focusing at infinity.

1 hour ago, Rushy said:

The Ex-Evo team developed it. We had the entire team work on it for 18 months, re-working the assets and changing/optimising the entire engine. Building a new tour, new trophies, new stats, new modes, new features and more. And you want this for free?

Loyal season pass holders get it for £15.99, everyone else gets it for £34.99.

well, as you're asking...

No, just wanted it cleared up as to what we get for our £15.99/£34.99

[edit]

Pre-ordered.

Sony store is a bit weird though. It says my wallet will be charged 11/10-13/10

There are no funds in my wallet. I better add some.

Edited by SeanR